Langley Festiniog Fairlie - White Metal Soldering.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
scalor

Langley Festiniog Fairlie - White Metal Soldering.

Postby scalor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:44 am

my son bought a 009 Langley Festiniog Fairlie white metal kit with a Bachmann GP40 donor loco some years ago but it was too difficult for him to build.

he found it a few days ago & asked if i could build it - now i'm retired i said i'd give it a go.

the model can be glued but i'd prefer to solder - i don't have a temp controlled iron & have never soldered white metal before but i understand it requires a special technique with a constant iron tip temp of about 160 c.

therefore can anyone please recommend a very basic unit at a good price & also what flux/solder to use?
i've seen Draper ones on EB at £30 but....??

also the model requires accurate drilling of 1/32" (0.032") in the wheels & beams - i don't believe my Dremel would achieve that so what would you suggest?

if anyone has built the model mentioned i would appreciate any tips or at least a point in the right direction.

cheers.

castlespitfire

Re: Langley Festiniog Fairlie - White Metal Soldering.

Postby castlespitfire » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:14 pm

Hello Scalor,,,,,,,, If I were you I would go with Epoxy resin I have built over the years many white metal kits and to date never had one fail when glued. I tack with super glue in places and final fix with epoxy on inner joints. Cant see point of buying new iron just for one kit unless of course you have uses for it after. Have used a 25 watt iron with white metal it is more question of technique than iron power. Just dont apply to much heat and use low melt point solder. Fast is the watch word
As for the drilling use smaller drill to start and open out the whole and the dremill should do the job .............. John
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

scalor

Postby scalor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:19 pm

castlespitfire wrote:Hello Scalor,,,,, Have used a 25 watt iron with white metal it is more question of technique than iron power. Just dont apply to much heat and use low melt point solder. Fast is the watch word
As for the drilling use smaller drill to start and open out the whole and the dremill should do the job

hi john thanks for your reply - i'll give the soldering a go - i use to weld & braze a lot.

with regards to the drilling - apart from the Dremel & 1/2" hand drills i only have a 1/2" bench drill press.

do you use a small drill press for drilling small 'precision' holes or just hand drill?

i've never really accurately drilled less than 1/8" before using my press.

scalor

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:50 pm

I hand drill these days....... But when I had a proper workshop years ago, had all the kit when I used to build locos in brass. Had nice lathe as well. Make do in the shed these days. You can be spot on by starting out using a very small pilot hole first. If you try the 1/8 th, bit it is likely to wonder. Also use small centre punch. gently John

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Had to smile when you said you used to weld and braze a lot. There is a lot of difference between Welding and Brazing, and delicate soldering on models. Especially with white metal. I know. I started out life as a Black smith. And before any one asks no never shod a horse.
Good luck with the loco.................John

TomTom

Postby TomTom » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:35 pm

If you are going to solder then the 100 degree type is better to work with than the traditional 70 - it flows far easier. A clean surface and plenty of flux makes a quick, solid joint. You can get it from C&L - http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?r ... 46_453_456

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”