flying scotsman123's February 2015 competition thread

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

flying scotsman123's February 2015 competition thread

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Right, well I shall be doing a scratch build of Corfe Castle station to fit with my other buildings so far, will be my main station for my layout, and a deadline will hopefully get me moving! My previous attempts can be seen on my workbench thread, that's all my previous attempts at scratch building ever, so this will only be my third building.

So far I haven't quite finished planning it in Sketchup, but the basic outline is all there, just need to sort out windows and the opposite side. That's all I usually use it for, to plan out main dimensions, details are added by looking at photos and making it up as I go along. :D
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

nickbrad

Re: flying scotsman123's February 2015 competition thread

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 pm

That's my small building blown out of the water then :lol:

I look forward to following your techniques for building this as if my first foray into scratchbuilding goes well, I may just attempt something a bit bigger and possibly "borrow" ideas from you. :D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi FS123,

I know you work fast ....... But that in 4 weeks ? Phew ......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hi FS123,

I know you work fast ....... But that in 4 weeks ? Phew ......

Geoff T.

It is a bit of a challenge I'll admit, total length of building is something like 350mm! However all mocks are out of the way with good results (so I don't need to start revising for the real things just yet!) and I also have February half term too which will help. I genuinely think that the main thing that's going to get in the way is the fact I'm needed at Winchcombe paint shop a lot at the moment, with two of our best painters out and lots to do before the running season commences I'll be in all Saturdays and possibly up to half of February half term!

nickbrad wrote:That's my small building blown out of the water then :lol:

I look forward to following your techniques for building this as if my first foray into scratchbuilding goes well, I may just attempt something a bit bigger and possibly "borrow" ideas from you. :D

You never know Nick, if yours is smaller then you'll probably have more time to detail it, I might have to end up rushing mine! Feel free to borrow any ideas you like, that's what forums are for!

Just glad I've managed to get this as part of the competition as I've been staring at the pictures not quite having the get up and go to do it for a few weeks now. Typical as soon as I have time my mojo decided to take leave, a competition has put it straight back again!

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 am

This is an impressive project Flying Scotsman and also very ambitious! :shock: :D

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:42 pm

With comments received beginning to think I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew! :? Oh well, it'll be fine...

I just wish I'd taken more photos when I'd been there, at the time I wasn't planning on modelling that station, but somewhere else, so all of my pictures are sourced from the internet and guessed based upon a Google maps image scaled to match the track width. Then everything else has to be worked out from that - not an particularly an exact science. :shock: Still, just some windows to draw out, then chimneys, which will probably take some time to get looking right, I often have a couple of attempts at guessing before it looks correct. I hope I'll be excused for planning it like I do before February, but those building a kit don't have to do this bit!

Think I need to start putting an order together on Gaugemaster, for the embossed plasticard, but of course you need to spend a certain amount to get free postage, this usually takes some time (and goes well past the mimimum). :D

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:45 am

I'm sure you'll do a good job of it if your signalbox model is anything to go by!

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Hmm, well with people starting already all over the place, combined with the fact that I will have a lot less time than I thought due to various commitments (half of which are on the GWSR!) I thought I ought to make a small start:

Only roughly put together so far, and my camera-phone doesn't like doing models at the best of times, certainly not at dusk (well that's my excuse anyway)! Just need to remember the 2 foot rule! :D These bits are the extensions on the right of the picture on my first post, still haven't worked out all the dimensions for the rest of it, but enough to be getting on with.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 pm

FS123
Looks like a big job! Not surprised you have made an early start

That's without everything else you are up to!

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 am

Hi FS123,

Just a few days early and I think you'll need all of it !!
This must be the largest 'project' & it's not as if you've chosen
a simple structure. Having said that I do like the different
aspects of so many rooves & all those other walls.
As it's something you want anyway finishing by deadline would
I suppose just be an 'Extra' for the build.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Contemplating redoing some of the bit I've already done as it didn't go great. So I moved on to the other end of the building and started there this evening:

This went better, just need to do add a bit more colour to the walls and put the windows in - gah - I hate windows! Contemplating acquiring a bowpen to do the window frames, Grandad was a draughtsman for 50 years and must have had a really nice bowpen knowing him but sadly Gran threw it away a little while ago, blast! Still enquiring through other family members as someone else works in a drawing office who might know someone who's been around long enough to have used one! I note that Peter's printed his on acetate for his competition building but white doesn't print very well... :(

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 am

Hi FS123,

Not in time for this job BUT are you serious about getting a bowpen ? At your age I didn't even know what one was !!
The place to look is on market stalls, ones with all sorts of old 'tack' I bought two last year, one for £1 that had no handle
the other in a compass for £3. As a modeller making a handle was easy, then I had to dress the tips with increasingly
fine wet-n-dry. It works well, although not super fine I can get lines about 0.3 mm.

Our local market is quiet at this time of year, but if you really are prepared to learn how to prepare & use one I'll keep
my eyes open.

Geoff T.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:57 pm

I've just looked Bowpen up as I didn't know what it was. Now I know what it is but I don't know what it does. :shock: Can one of you explain and should I have one. :!

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi Paul,

Often refered to as Lining Pens, look at my workbench thread :-

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=46675&start=45#p572289

And you'll see the one I bought for a £ and slightly further down the pages
some black & cream lines I painted using it.

Do you need one - no, is it good to have more modelling skills - yes,
would you use it, doubtfull.

I have yet to use mine in anger, but window frames sound like an ideal
place to start.

Geoff T.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi Geoff, thanks for the very kind offer, I may take you up on that at some point, but as I said, enquiries have been sent further afield to other family members, two generations ago half my.family were draughtsmen! I would also look into using it for lining stock too, it's something I enjoy doing but hmrs transfers don't do it all, and are pricey! So definitely interested in getting one, but I don't like spending too much money as you know!

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”