Resin buildings vs plastic sheet building - Which is better?

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
JLK2707

Resin buildings vs plastic sheet building - Which is better?

Postby JLK2707 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:01 am

I am just wondering which ones of you prefer modelling buildings using resin or plastic sheets. I would literally love to know what your thoughts are on this.

Please reply asap.

ParkeNd

Re: Resin buildings vs plastic sheet building - Which is bet

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 am

Slightly unusual question. But an answer anyway. I have avoided resin buildings myself - they look like a cross between Danbury Mint and Christmas cake decorations to me.

4mm plastic buildings will be quite big (I am an N gauge fan) and should be no harder than erecting a garden shed and they will look decent too. If you mean scratch building then high grade genuine Slaters Plastikard I have used a lot and is highly recommendable. It is flexible, easy to cut, and the irregular heights of stone blocks for instance make it great to dry brush. From listening to the experiences of folk who use cheap and brittle EBay substitutes they are far less easy to cut - especially window apertures.

Brossard

Postby Brossard » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:35 pm

To some extent I agree with Parkend. I have nothing against resin buildings as produced by Hornby and Bachmann, they are usually well done. The only niggle is that they become a little too common. The range is such that they are not quite as common as Metcalfe or Superquik though. I like plastic scratch built buildings because they are at least unique and challenging - thereby conferring bragging rights. My usual method is to use 0.040" plastic sheet as a base wall and laminate either Slaters' or SE Finecast embossed sheets over it. One thing to watch is that the walls don't warp. I started a building some time ago, making the walls and then putting it all away. when I returned to it a couple of the walls had warped severely while other walls were fine. I have read that it is a good idea to put holes in the base walls to allow the solvent to vent.

John
John

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Which is better ?

Well I wouldn't find making resin buildings easy, if I could do it at all.
That means they are commercial products that tend to be quite expensive, combined with a limited range of products.

Plastic sheet buildings are scratch built in the main, although there are commercial kits. All are a fraction of the resin's cost.
What you have with all plastic is the making up, as a result the finished building depends upon you own skill levels. If you are
not prepared to learn the skills, it may be better from a quality point of view to buy resin.

ParkeNd started out as a raw beginner and in a short time was turning out some very nice buildings. The important thing was
that his buildings looked like the prototype for the area he was modelling something impossible with bought resin products.
The other scratch build bonus is that you can build something to fit awkward corners exactly.

A first step is the hardest to take - after that it gets easier. Don't expect the first one to be a show stopper, but there is nothing
to compare to answering someone asking about a building to be able to answer "Oh I designed & built it myself" !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:05 pm

It is possible to cast in resin on a d-i-y basis but it's extremely labour intensive. You have to build some kind of model, from which to take a mold, before you can cast the first one. By comparison the use of plastic and other sheet materials is far more productive when small numbers are required. Dad-1 refers to the rapid progress made by ParkeNd, starting from scratch and without a lot of help he devised his own method of construction, which uses Daler board (a high quality thick card), which avoids the danger of the plastic finish warping. The tools required are simple and few and there is no need to purchase up front more material than is necessary for the first project, although many of us do, you never know when the urge to construct something new, or try out a different method, will strike you.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Here's a brief invasion of your thread with what Dad and Bufferstop have mentioned.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:16 pm

JLK2707 wrote:I am just wondering which ones of you prefer modelling buildings using resin or plastic sheets. I would literally love to know what your thoughts are on this.
Please reply asap.

A lot of excellent comments and posts here.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the LINKA system of making buildings.
These are plaster like constructions made by pouring into moulds and then constructing buildings with neat PVA with the tiles produced.
From the simple...
To the immense....
And just for good measure, here's a diorama completely made with linka tiles...
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”