3D Printing: Projects

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: 3D Printing –Met Chesham Coaches, 4mm/OO, GN Saloon.

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Hi Matt, looking impressive. What chassis does it use? It looks like it could be about the right size for my NSR coaches and I've been looking for something suitable.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Yes it came out quite well as I pushed the progress forward due to other work which used this coach as a base so needed to check that all the measurements and that it printed ok. The chassis was a bit of a find, although not very prototypical as its European by j144 Jouef wagon chassis with a bed of 105mm x 28mm and plus they are very cheap.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

mattmay05 wrote:Yes it came out quite well as I pushed the progress forward due to other work which used this coach as a base so needed to check that all the measurements and that it printed ok. The chassis was a bit of a find, although not very prototypical as its European by j144 Jouef wagon chassis with a bed of 105mm x 28mm and plus they are very cheap.
Cheers Matt, will take a look.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Another coach which was quite easy to do, as it was converted from a brake 2nd / 3rd seen on the other page, this is quite unique as there won't be one as a kit, this coach was converted to be a disabled saloon on the Bluebell, to enable disabled passengers to travel in the pre-grouping vintage coaches.

Test prints have come out well, and I hope to have them available for sale on Shapeways in the next couple of weeks.

mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks to Bufferstop for resolving the Image issue.
mattmay05

Re: 3D Printing: Coach tops, LCDR / SECR

Post by mattmay05 »

A bit of an update for you on this, it's been a little while...

With some extra cash generated by reasonable sales of the Captain Baxter body kit via Shapeways, it's allowed me to continue developing and finishing my 4 wheeler coach set, last time I had successfully printed the LCDR / SECR saloon and the LCDR brake 3rd.
The all 3rd I had started a little while ago but hadn't got round to finish it, last month I managed to finish off the body, seating, and also the Eros style vents for both the Saloon and the all 3rd.

So far the Bluebell has beaten me to it and their all 3rd, 3188 returned to service recently.. so I am a bit behind.

But after a successful couple of prints I now have a nice pre-grouping set to finish off... eventually...

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Nice looking stuff there Matt.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thank you Tony, time has been short being taken up with writing articles, and customer projects, so these come second in terms of progress and my own projects.

I made a start with decoration on the brake 3rd, priming it putting the teak paints on, bending many bits of brass for hand rails and electrical piping... does take time, quite a bit, especially when you have 3 to do.
I have started some painting on the Saloon after finding some purple lake which seems quite close just need to darken it down, full credit to Fox transfers to who are looking in to re-doing their transfers which I felt were not quite right so that could take 6 weeks so that will slow things up a bit..
The all 3rd is being prepped read for priming.

mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

After some time being dedicated to finishing a customer project, for is Titfield thunderbolt replica train.. was an interesting project researching the colours internals ect..

I am now back on to the coaches and having settled on a paint colour I am now on to the lining phase... fun...
The paint for the SECR livery has been challenging, the name that I hear it called is purple lake as it's got a purple tint to it when it's in the sun, but looks quite deep and dark when in the shade, almost a brown. After looking through a fair few paints, I decided to talk to and look through Phoenix paints. They suggested P434 Caledonian coach purple, looking at images of prototypes it wasn't far aware from the SECR colour, but it was a touch light, after doing some samples and adding a touch of matt black every time, I got to a point where I was quite happy that it would pass for SECR paint job.

I added, Vallejo Brass paint to the door handles and also did the drop light door window frames in P996 Weathered teak which finishes off the painting quite nicely.
All the coaches handrails and electrical pipes were also fitted out at this point painted black although If I had the blackening fluids that would be probably more ideal.

Transfers have been a challenge but then again it's the same story for pre grouping modellers, luckily things have improved a bit, lining for the SECR has be a bit of a compromise, the lining is 2 tone Yellow with an orangey red which tones down the yellow a bit, sadly there's nothing on the transfer market that matches, so sadly it has to be pure yellow but I shall see if I can tone it down later.
The lettering / numbers / crests ect.... are available from Fox transfers, although after questioning I required Saloon lettering in a certain style I ordered FRH4471 (1) - SECR Coaches 1899-1915 which was pretty good as it was a full set, apart from Saloon lettering which they did do but in a later style, after talking to Fox they were very good and understanding and helpful, and I believe now that the Saloon lettering will be added to the sheet mentioned above.

Coaches are now available on Shapeways.
More soon...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Matt great work on your coaching stock. I was intrigued by the coach side on stilts, was that sheer determination to get it into the build volume in one piece.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks Bufferstop, these are quite small compared to something's I have done, they around 150mm long, and having it in one piece means it's strong, had a similar question a few days ago, in regards to why its in one piece and not parts, something I currently have on the go is trying to cut up if you like the GN Saloon to save some money for those who are interested.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Matt, I am very interested in that Titfield coach you worked on, was it just a paint job or did you craft the entire thing? I am only aware of the D&S brass kit for these coaches which sadly are out of my budget, so if an alternative comes along, I am always keen to learn more.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Nickbrad

Yes Titfield tram coach or Wisbech and Upwell tram car was a commission job, which involved the building and painting of the kit, as you mention there is only one kit manufacturer which is D&S long out of production, and due to their age the white metal and some brass parts were quite badly corroded and yes very expensive for what they are.

It was an interesting build challenging as the instructions were very poor.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Truly pioneering. :)
Thanks for sharing mattmay05.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Ooof, so it was an original run as well then by the sound of it, I thought it may have at least been a recent one as I know Danny was selling a limited range again 2 years ago which included the coach, £30 from what I remember. Having to send an SAE to request info on available stocks, then having to make payment via cheque etc put me off, (I don't own a cheque book, when I last did, I wrote one cheque in 7 years,) I really wish that there was an alternative out there.

The one big stopping point for me trying to bash my own, is the indentations above the windows, (I'm sure they have a name, I just don't know it,) everything else I'd be willing to attempt.