3D Printing: Coach tops, LCDR / SECR

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Pete

Re: 3D Printing –Met Chesham Coaches, 4mm/OO, GN Saloon.

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi Matt

That's a really impressive piece of work, although not quite my scene as a desirable model (well its not N Gauge or German...) but I think you're demonstrating how the interesting end on modelling is going to develop over the next few years, 3D printing is obviously the choice route for bespoke rolling stock.

Congratulations, I think your efforts over the months have been well worth it, and will continue to show returns.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Ahh but it will be in N Gauge :) about 20 euros so far from estimates so far. Its just the small issue that the supplier of Gresley coaches is Dapol who don't do spares... so until Bogies can be found for the N gauge version, sadly its been put on hold.

Indeed a few people are now using 3D printing to get what they want or need, some have even made a business out of it, like modern image models. which all his models are in N scale. But certain something to look out for in the future as the printing gets better.

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Ahh but it will be in N Gauge :) about 20 euros so far from estimates so far. Its just the small issue that the supplier of Gresley coaches is Dapol who don't do spares... so until Bogies can be found for the N gauge version, sadly its been put on hold.

Even more interesting, I hadn't realised this was N Gauge.

No suitable bogies available from the N Gauge or 2mm society?

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:36 pm

No the one pictured is OO, but can be easily half sized to become N which comes out at 20 euros.

I have had a look but nothing really coming up which are suitable.
I take it back I just found some on Shapeways... so it is possible.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1344026/ ... erialId=61

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:36 pm

News:

Today I received delivery of the first new design of the Metropolitan all 3rd (394) its been a couple of months, but in a new partnership and more research and development we have made significant progress. Bogies are still in progress some revisions have been made to improve running and weak areas which were found when putting the wheels on.

Anyway here's some initial shots of the coach

Work is now on the Metropolitan Brake 3rd.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 pm

I have had both bogies back from various tweaking, believe they will be a little better in terms of strength around the axle opening as this was particularly weak last time, also adjusted sided to side axle movement, so should be better all round, will be tested next month.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:57 pm

I have had back recently Cad's for the Brake 3rd, this has a few revisions, things learnt from the first print, modifications to the seating, the roof, and a few details. It will go in to test print soon.

Changes have been made to the ends, mainly to not print the steps, as they will just not be strong enough, so what has been done is to create slots under the printed detail so brass strip can be used to add steps, which will be much stronger.

The main wall partitions still have slots, which the seats will slot in to, the seats are now separate items, to aid re-scaling and enabling them to fit better in the coach. You can also see 2 spacers in the guard and luggage compartments, this has been done to stop warping and to add strength to the model.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:09 pm

A bit more of an update on the All 3rd Prototype which is now in the detail phase of work, and has now been paint apart from the chassis.
Brake 3rd should be here maybe next week for finishing, Composite coaches have now been started.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:49 pm

A tad more progress, The coach chassis has now almost been finished, few small handles and things to add, and buffers left to paint, but generally it's not far off now. I received some Metropolitan Railway transfers from Radley Models a few days ago, and proceeded doing some proper modelling, as the first part was more a trip in to the unknown.
Glazing and seats will be added next, trying some new methods on that to, also need to add plasticard for the floor of the coach. Due to the density of the material, it may not need additional weight adding but will see when it ventures to the test track in a few days.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 pm

That looks really good - you've managed to get the varnished wood look just right in my opinion - I think that a lot of the ready to run teak stock from Hornby looks a bit 'flat' for my liking (at least in photos). Well done - all that design work has paid off.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:54 pm

That is brilliant :shock: the "frosted" look it gave when it was printed worked out amazingly once painted, I agree with skyblue, your teak is far superior to any hornby have managed. really comes alive even more on the tracks and with the transfers. Once the glazing is in it really will be top of it's game :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:57 pm

I have had a recent delivery of the next coach, Brake 3rd.
I still need to complete checks, and assess it for print checks for any faults or errors with the print, these will be checked with Shapeways and any adjustments recorded, I am already very pleased with the new strengthened bogies.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Looks excellent so far! I take it they roll quite nicely as well?
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi Peter

Yes we were originally thinking of adding bearings to the bogie, but it seemed to roll fine without, the new and improved bogies, have just been strengthened as some failures were spotted on the originals, as well as the axle not being properly supported in it's housing, which have all be corrected.

Have come across some issues with the body print, which is mainly not due to the design, mainly the position it was being printed in which I think I mentioned to you a few weekends ago. But we shall get there!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Not said much for nearly a month a bit of an update.
All 4 carriage bodies have been made in CAD, so over the next month or 2, I will have all 4 complete hoping there are no problems to compared to the number I have had with this Brake 3rd. The Brake 3rd has been re-printed now twice, second in print at the moment, mainly down to it's orientation and position in the printer which I hope has now been resolved.
Mean while on the all 3rd, It is nearly complete apart from its vac pipes ect.... Comet jumper cables have been fitted to the ends, and a few touch ups and changes to the paint and it's pretty much there... I plan to change the bogies for the redesigned stronger type, as it's still on its original which were pretty weak.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”