43xx Etched Brass Kit

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
phil.c

43xx Etched Brass Kit

Postby phil.c » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 pm

For those who have'nt seen my thread "Which Controller" in the DCC section, i've been modelling for around 40 years but left it 8 years ago, but i'm getting back into it slowely.

Here's a Mitchel etched brass kit i've just dug out and left unfinished 8 years ago. It's got Romford drivers, Portescap motor and compensated Loco & Tender.

Phil

Lysander

Re: 43xx Etched Brass Kit

Postby Lysander » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm

[quote="phil.c"]Here's a Mitchel etched brass kit i've just dug out and left unfinished 8 years ago. It's got Romford drivers, Portescap motor and compensated Loco & Tender.Phil

That's a corker Phil. Now, out with your paintbrush.....

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:44 pm

If you can do stuff like that Phil then DCC sound should be no problem lol :D

Ive got a nicce gauge 1 deltic kit that needs building if you fancy it? lol
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

jcm@gwr

Postby jcm@gwr » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Looks good, you have done a nice job of the build, but it looks like the quartering
might be out on the rear axle [which will cause problems with running]. Can't wait
to see it once it's painted.
Jeff

phil.c

Postby phil.c » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Lysander wrote:Here's a Mitchel etched brass kit i've just dug out and left unfinished 8 years ago. It's got Romford drivers, Portescap motor and compensated Loco & Tender.Phil

That's a corker Phil. Now, out with your paintbrush.....

Tony

Thanks Tony but there's a lot more to do on it till I get the airbrush out :)

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:If you can do stuff like that Phil then DCC sound should be no problem lol :D

Ive got a nicce gauge 1 deltic kit that needs building if you fancy it? lol

I'm getting there with DCC :roll: As for your kit, yeah easy, i'll do it wth all the spare time i've got :shock: I think that DCC has got to me, I got up and started work this morning only to remember (After a hour!) that it was Sunday!!!

jcm@gwr wrote:Looks good, you have done a nice job of the build, but it looks like the quartering
might be out on the rear axle [which will cause problems with running]. Can't wait
to see it once it's painted.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, yes I noticed that with the pictures. It was running great eight years ago but it's seized now, I tried to release it by moving the wheels, (you probably know that that's possible with a Portescap) I think I got a bit too heavy handed :(

The model does'nt look too good in the pictures because it's covered with grime from over time, it' needs a good cleaning with a glass fibre pen.

Phil

Ark Royal

Postby Ark Royal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm

E2V,

PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease Can I do the gauge 1 deltic

BTW I model in Gauge 1 (not much, I'm mainly OO), and I could test run it after I've done it (although it might take a few decades for me to do the finishing touches (i.e. give it back)

Chris
If you have found the above helpful, please read my layout thread and offer a comment
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36868
Chris
Aka Ark Royal Aka HMS Ark Royal V (on other forums)

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:57 am

I had it spread out all over the table last night and had a Clarkson moment "How Hard can it be?"

Famous last words I hear you all say lol

I've got some O gauge wagons that Sir Melliot suggested as a good introduction to brass building so Im gonna make a start on them then have a go at it
First tho I have a hu hu huuuuuuuuuge shopping list of tools and bits n bobs needed for brass building
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

phil.c

Postby phil.c » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:45 am

Don't worry about all the tools.....all you need is a big hammer for when the instructions make no sense :D

Phil

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”