False Start.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Bushey Troughs

False Start.

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Last night I thought I'd start on the London Transport, Cambrian 'Dogfish' hoppers. The problem is no '3' hole wagon wheels, so I'll start on the Ratio Midland/LMS carriages. The Gibson disc wheels have gone missing, lots of Hornby wheels, so I may use them with the Romford bearings.

Then I thought well I could start on converting the Bachmann BR brake van into London Transport B 557, to go with Bachmanns B 583. Two cans of grey primer and wouldn't you know it both empty. I did however find the lot of '8' pin wired sockets that had gone walkabout a while ago.

It came to me that I could make a start on 2 of the stations for the layout 1 Metcalff, and 1 Superquick. Problem is no PVA, not even Evostick Woodworking PVA, and I found my set of station names too. I'll have to go shopping Monday.

The ups and downs of model railways, and it's blowing a gale and hissing down bugg*r
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

b308

Re: False Start.

Postby b308 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I had a collection of brass and nickel silver kits a while ago but made a concerted effort to make them all up... I just have the one left now which will be converted into a generator van... I also stopped buying any new ones until I'd finished the ones I had...

Took a lot of willpower that last bit! :mrgreen:

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:54 pm

b308 wrote:Took a lot of willpower that last bit! :mrgreen:

I'm seriously working on that bit. I maybe morphing into a collector instead of a modeller. :shock:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Bushey Troughs wrote:
b308 wrote:Took a lot of willpower that last bit! :mrgreen:

I'm seriously working on that bit. I maybe morphing into a collector instead of a modeller. :shock:

Me too lol
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:30 am

aaarrrggghhh collectors :!: letting all those models go to waste siting on a shelf going dusty, i can't bear the thought of it :shock:
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:37 pm

I managed to get 16 axles of Gibson 3 hole black steel wheels, and another packet of Romford top-hat bearings for £10.50 off ebay. Which is a result, bet the missing wheels turn up before the new ones arrive.
So the London Transport rake is on again. It's going to be 2, LT three plank wagons 2, tube wagons 3. dogfish and 2, brake vans. I already have the 3 plank wagons and 1, brake van ready plus the LT pannier L95 to pull it.
COLIN.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:03 pm

I gave in and bought a Minitrix 2-10-2T chassis today...

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Wouldn't you know it I found the missing 3 holed wheel axles, and I've bought three Hornby 4 wheel carriages off ebay for a £10.00 p&p included. I just need a couple of Hornby 6 wheeled wagons, and I'll be set to go.

I just found 6 off 6 wheeled Palethorpes wagons, and I thought I only had 4.

Anyone else checked their stock lately?
COLIN.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”