Re: SVR Workbench-K's 14xx

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
OliverSR

Re: SVR Workbench-3D Printed Metropolitan BTH Loco

Postby OliverSR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:36 pm

The sketchup file type is not immediately compatible you need to export it as a COALLDA file (*.dae) and then this can be uploaded directly into shapeways.
Dont worry about asking questions its good to know someone is interested.
OliverSR

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 pm

that will be out later this year by Radley models, as they are doing the jubilee met coach, still trying to find out about the Chesham set. but Ive abandoned mine, as i can't take it any further.

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Reason I ask is that I wrote a CAD system for my company yonks ago which is driven by a C++like interpretive language to create 3-D objects, or more to the point a series of facets. It would be trivial to output these facets in a format (text or binary) suitable for input into a 3-D print system (I think). I just have to decide on the format and program an output module.

Creating the faceted model for a loco/carriage/wagon/whatever is another story, particularly where curved surfaces are involved. But I need the output side of things in place first.

I shall be watching your new-style post with interest. Good luck.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 am

Matt I do not know the timescale of when it will be released as a kit but I will be handing it over to Phil Radley at the Acton open day and however long it takes to get the kit sorted after that will affect how long before the kit is available. Also I would like to add that though I will get parts for my kit as part of the agreement for my model to be produced and I am not gaining financially only gaining kits in return.
Deeftrundle I think that is to technical for me to understand. sketchup is probably a basic program which makes complicated curves hard to do but since I am not seriously technical just able to use intuitive program such as Sketchup.
OliverSR

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 am

OliverSR wrote:I think that is to technical for me to understand. sketchup is probably a basic program which makes complicated curves hard to do but since I am not seriously technical just able to use intuitive program such as Sketchup.
OliverSR

Sorry. You give a very good impression of a coder. What I meant to say was that I am looking to write the equivalent of Sketchup, but rather than it being an interactive app, I want to design one where you just plug in some values and out pops a file you can send to Shapeways. I am not explaining this very well. When I am further down the track I will elaborate.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:41 pm

The parts have been filed and dry fitted.
Here is a photo to give an idea of what the finished model will look like.
OliverSR

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:48 pm

The 3D printed Metropolitan loco is currently with Radley Models for moulds to me taken so in the mean time I thought I would have a go at another quick project.
This is the loco in question a K's 14XX which I recently picked up and wanted to restore.
As you can see the loco is quite battered and parts have broken off. Even though the livery is decent its not suitable for my BR layout and I thought I could repaint it as number 1401(The first one in the Titfield Thunderbolt) though I would like mine to be pristine and in BR livery rather than dirty black. It runs well however so I will just smarten it up basically.
The first job to do is to strip off the old paintwork which I did with B&Q paint stripper which I generously painted over and then scrubbed off the paint a few times.
This is how the loco looked once I had stripped the paint off the body and I was pleased to discover that it had a rather nice Brass part which I cleaned up and intend to leave all shiny.
I then sprayed the loco with Halfords Satin black which gave me a good finish and still looked crisp and sharp detailing.
Then I painted the smokebox, underframe and cab roof in Humbrol Dirty Black as I have seem others use this technique to great effect. I also started to paint the bufferbeam and gave the wheels and chassis a quick touch up.
This is how it looks tonight and I need to still do some tidying up and finishing off but I am overall pleased with my efforts.
OliverSR

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Looks good. Bit more tidy!

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback.
The loco has had further tidying up and I have found the gold paint so picked out the whistle which is molded on(even though this isn.t great I am not overly fussed and it would be more trouble than its worth to replace in my opinion).
Then it was time for the loco to get her crests. I used pressfix BR small early crests and the application was really simple and easy to do a good job. Cut around the transfer whilst not cutting all the way through, peel away and place where you want the crest. Then press it in place and soak for 30 seconds before removing the carrying paper thing and dabbing dry. I am rather pleased with the result.
Not much left to do now, some coal is needed in the bunker and then have some fun with it at the local club test track. Its number plates need to be bought and added too.
Once I have properly finished it I will take some better photos as this is only from my phone and so I promise you some better(less flattering?) photos once its fully finished.
OliverSR

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:59 am

Looks nice, and congrats on the met loco being sent off to Radley for them to do Resin moulds, wish I could say the same for mine... sadly will have to make do without met coaches for a few years.

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

Nice. Been away for a while. Good to see someone's been busy.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Deeftrundle-You and Matt were the people who I think I saw using the smokebox painting technique which I have tried on this project and will use in future.
Matt-I am still waiting to hear from Radley Models as to how the moulding is going and hopefully will revive a test kit for the loco sooner or later so I can actually make one for myself.
Back to the humble k's 14xx...
I have received plates in the post and so have coaled up the loco and fitted the numbers though still need to sort out the smokebox door number. For the coal I painted the inside pf the bunker with PVA before putting the coal in and then covering with a 50/50 PVA water mixture and left to dry, the result is that all the coal is held perfectly in place. The plates were removed from the strut and filed neat before gluing into place.
Almost finished now and it will be run in and tested at the local club tomorrow. Maybe I might want to do some more tidying up and detailing but I will see how it runs first.
OliverSR

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Nice looking little loco, that!
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Yes I picked the painting the smoke box Matt black off a friend of mine, as he models the SR When it was mainly black, and when you have all black loco... its a bit plain and boring, and needs braking up a bit, painting running plates and smoke box as well as the cab roof, brakes it up a bit... makes it look more right in a way.

Takes along time to do a mould.... although takes me along time to do anything these days, Although I sent a message to Radley I never got a reply so your lucky on that one.

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: matt black smokebox.
I was just obeying orders from Matt W. 8)
But it does break it up nicely, particularly post 1948 freight and mixed traffic, along with a select few (not many) oily steel'd details.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”