Re: SVR Workbench-K's 14xx

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
mattmay05

Re: SVR Workbench-Bluebell P Class

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 pm

I usually make a workbench on every forum im in... so im up to about 6 topics at the moment haha just a shame no-one reads them

OliverSR

Re: SVR Workbench-Bluebell P Class

Postby OliverSR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:03 pm

mattmay05 wrote:I usually make a workbench on every forum im in... so im up to about 6 topics at the moment haha just a shame no-one reads them

I read them if no one else does and you have had 10531 views on your workbench at least so it can't just be me constantly checking for updates.
Personally I only use this forum so all updates are exclusive coverage for all you lucky people.
Seriously though I could not do more than one forum as I struggle to keep my threads on this forum up to date.
OliverSR

OliverSR

Re: SVR Workbench-Bluebell P Class Finished, hopefully

Postby OliverSR » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Long time, no progress. Yes I know I haven't updated the thread for a long time. That is partially due to me not making much progress. I have found many ways of how to make this project not work but I think I have cracked it now.
My first problem was that I was just not skilled enough to solder in the cheapo Hornby DCC decoder into the loco of this size and properly insulate joints and whitemetal body interior. I smoked and broke at least 2 Hornby decoders which the moths in my wallet are still crying about. I decided to switch decoder make. I found the Small OPTI Decoder which had several advantages compared to the project. It is sold as a N gauge decoder so hopefully should be able to be crammed somewhere in this tiny loco. I comes ready insulated so I don't have to worry about that and it has a plug in wiring harness so I won't break the wires off the chip and then not be able to re-solder them. So one afternoon I fired up the soldering iron and soldered in the harness, plugged in the chip and voila it worked next all I needed to do was figure out how to fit the body on.
I tried fitting it with the decoder in the boiler/smokebox first as that is what was done with my Hornby terrier. However as you can see from the photo the body did not rest right and I don't think the smokebox was really long enough for the decoder and plug which took up extra length.
I realised that the only place I could realistically fit the chip was in the cab so I soldered and re-solder extension wires so the decoder could reach its new position. I trial fitted it and it would sit below the window line and since it is black thanks to the insulation I didn't think it would be that obvious. I plugged the chip and it didn't work so I left it for the time being. Today I just went over and unplugged it and plugged it in and it worked first time(typical, but at least it works now). I then put the body in place and tried it again, it worked again. So I secured the body in place and re fitted the couplings. This is what it looks like now(you can just see the chip in the cab).
It runs fine up and down my little analogue test track(the decoder supports dc running also) but I haven't braved the dark and weather to try and take it out to the layout.
I am also attempting to improve my earlier project http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36426&start=15#p465722 by replacing the chassis as the running was rubbish though I was pleased with the look of the loco anyway more of this next time. I also need to update my layout thread as it has had some radical changes which will also affect the sort of thing you will see appearing on my workbench in the future.
OliverSR

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 pm

I have a P which needs chipping. Did you use the OPT1 DCC26, aka the mini ?
I was toying with the idea of a TCS Z2 which I think is even smaller, but with direct wiring.
Did you just not connect 4 of the harness wires (I am a bit new to the chipping game) ?

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 pm

This is the decoder I used http://www.ehattons.com/46981/Gaugemaster_Controls_DCC26_Small_OPTI_Decoder_with_4_functions/StockDetail.aspx. I chose this because it was the cheapest I could find which would do the job(I just want a chip that lets the loco go forward and backwards cheaply). I like the idea of the harness as then there is no risk of me damaging the decoder with the soldering iron also if it cut the wire too short I could get a new harness and save the decoder. With my one it is a Cut down hornby terrier chassis and so has a wire from each wheels plunger pickup which are connected to the red and black wires of the decoder, one wire for each side. the orange and grey wires connected to each terminal of the motor. My loco's body is a Wills finecast whitemetal body I acquired a while ago ready assembled and so has been modified to fit the chassis. One word of advice is to get some heat shrink tubing and insulate all the joints as I didn't want them to touch the whitemetal body though it is advisable to insulate all joints when DCC fitting anything(not that I always remember). What you do depends on what type of P Class you have as It could be a "proper" Wills/SE Finecast kit with a kitbuilt chassis or a dean sidings resin one with the hornby chassis. Since mine is a bit of a compromise it will probably be different for yours.
You could ask about it on the DCC section of the forum for others opinions but I am happy answer any other questions you have and try to give you some advice.
Hope this helps.
OliverSR

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:16 am

Many thanks Oliver. I think my P is bit of a hybrid too: white metal on some sort of proprietary chassis.
The motor has very low gearing.

I like the idea of using the 8-pin plastic socket, which minimises damage to the decoder.
Are there many different decoders (alternatives to the opt1) which plug into these 8-pin sockets ?
In the event of requiring a replacement harness (i.e. the 8 wires and the plastic 8-pin socket), where do you get these ?
You mention heat-shrinking tubing, I have never used it but I see it comes in different sizes, what size do you recommend ?

My question about the 4 harness wires relates to the fact that only 4 of the 8 wires will be used, as you explained.
Do you just unsolder all 8 from the soldered connector (which would plug into a NEM 652 socket on DCC ready locos),
connect 4 of them appropriately, then tie off and insulate together the 4 unused ones ?

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:20 pm

As far as I am aware the socket is specific to the decoder with different ones for each size decoder. I would assume that Gaugemaster sell the replacement NEM 8 pin socket to plastic decoder socket. This was the only time I have not used the standard hornby or bachmann decoders so it may be worth you asking on the DCC section of he forum about types of chip. The heat shrink tubing was just some stuff from maplin and looking at the website it looks like it was 2.5mm tubing. I will briefly explain how I connected the socket for the decoder. When I got the decoder I firstly cut of the NEM 8 pin socket which I would not need. I then trimmed all the wires apart from red, black, grey and orange back to the plastic socket at the decoder(you could tie off and insulate but I didn't bother as they would not cause me any problems and I didn't want to overcomplicate things with multiple wires). I then stripped the ends of the wires on both the loco and socket. I also cut a length of heat shrink tubing long enough to cover the joint between the stripped ends and slid it over one of wires before tieing them together. I then soldered the wires together being careful to slide the heat shrink tubing out of the way for the moment. Then slide the heat shrink back over the joint (you need to be neat-ish to ensure the tubing fits over, so not too much solder on the joint) then once the heat shrink is in place rub the soldering iron over it until it shrinks to a tight fit and will not slide up and down.
Hope this covers it all, when you get round to fitting it please do make a thread and direct me to it as I would like to see how it goes.
OliverSR

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Perfect. Thanks for the comprehensive description. This project is one of many in my pipeline (no pun intended).
I have to chip an M7, an H, and a P among others. I think the motor on the P is our old friend the X04. I will post a photo when I can get my camera back from my son who has been using it to sell an old Toyota on eBay.

Also I recently picked up a resin W body from a trade fair. It has an N chassis which has been partially chipped with a non working ZTC214 decoder. This looks to be a similar design to the OPT1 in that the chip plugs into a plastic socket row, but this is a 4-pin not 8-pin decoder. Unfortunately 4-pin decoders are now all but defunct so I whatever I do with the P will also apply to the W (ultimately).

You did suggest I start my own thread for my conversions. I will probably do that with the H build I am currently working on. I have to get into the habit of taking lots of photos. I keep forgetting. :oops:

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm

I always think I should have taken more photos as it would have made it easier to describe the chipping process to you, oh well.
From the sound of things you have lots of really nice trains lined up and so I for one would be interested in seeing you make a thread.
I look forward to seeing your progress and I am glad I can offer some form of advice.
OliverSR

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 pm

As promised, here are some snaps of my P class.
It was picked up at a fair and was in a bit of a sorry state.
Hopefully it is a now a little less sorry, but since I "did it up" I have learned several things and pitfalls, and have got into all the loco fruit-salad like lamp irons, link couplings, glazed cab windows, and such.
So I may revisit these on this little chap one day.
ImageImage
The body is probably Wills/SE but I am not sure of the chassis. You may be able to tell me whether it is proprietary or otherwise.
The motor is deffo X04. I don't think there is room for a chip in the boiler so like yours it will probably have to go on the floor of the cab, ideally out of sight.
The big tension lock couplings have been replaced by NEM 362 pockets for when I decide on what working coupling system to adopt on my as-yet-not-built layout !

Aside: I invested today in a WiFi camera, it makes this sort of document much easier to compose, doing away with all that usb nonsense. Highly recommended.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 am

Last week the P had an outing on the club test track and I am happy to say "It Works!!!". It will now reside with the rest of its Bluebell buddies on the layout(If people ask nicely I could make a video of it running).
Deeftrundle-That P class looks great( wish mine was a nice as that).
It looks to me like a Kitbuilt chassis though as the wheels don't seem to be RTR and the chassis could be the one before the brass one as mentioned here http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/p-class-history.html. The motor looks bigger than the one used in mine so the cab is probably the only place for a chip. As long as it is below the window line and is not a bright colour it is not really noticable(mine being insulated in black helped).
Next up a revisit to my previous project, Ironside.
OliverSR

OliverSR

Re: SVR Workbench-3D Printed Metropolitan BTH Loco

Postby OliverSR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 pm

As can be seen on my layout thread I have had a change of theme and so the type of project on my workbench must also change, here is my most recent project.
After seeing other people having a go at 3D printing I decided I wanted to try.
I wanted to Try something fairly simple shaped to start with so after always having an interest in London Transport I found drawings for a Metropolitan Bo-Bo built by British Thompson which was the predecessor to the famous Metropolitan Vickers Bo-Bo(Sarah Siddons Class).
I found drawings and photographs in "The London Underground: Surface Stock Plan Book 1863-1959-Ian Huntley" and "Metro Memories-Dennis Edwards, Ron Pilgram" but cannot post them here due to copyright.
After several tutorial videos in how to use Google sketchup I decided to have a go.
I then made the model, which took ages as I kept having to re-do parts once I realized they were wrong.
(Early Computer Model)
I ended up going though over 20 different versions of the model.
(Later Computer Model)
Eventually I got it to a stage where I was ready to send it off for printing from shapeways.
Link to Model on Shapeways-http://www.shapeways.com/model/683420/met-bth-loco.html?li=my-models&key=6b6e4dd93ff235d1226493c785749073
(Final Computer Model)
The model has recently arrived and will use components from Radley Models existing kits which require fitting.
(Printed Model)
This shows the model at its current state where it needs cleaning up and fitting of components such as buffers.
The model will be used to take moldings for a resin kit from Radley Models and will be handed over at the Acton Depot Show.
If you have any questions I will try to answer and welcome any comments.
OliverSR

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Nice one. What was the damage (cost) ?
What was the material, and what others are available ?
What was the direction of scan, or is that determined by the print company ?
What do you think are the possibilities of doing a steam loco ? I always assumed the boiler would be a problem.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 pm

The cost I would prefer not to mention though the Radley Models resin body should cost about a third of the cost of a printed one hence why it is being made as a kit.
The material was Frosted ultra detail(useful for the vents and details but for a steam loco could be a more basic material especially if you don't mind adding your own details) and there are other cheaper types available best bet is to check the website.
I don't know about print direction but shapeways website may be the answer there too.
It is possible to do a steam loco(I just chose a box type loco as a first attempt and it has been a massive learning curve for me) and may not be too hard as the only tricky things to do on sketchup is complex curves over two planes such as rounded rooves.
I might even consider doing commissions in future providing I can get a drawing and photos of the prototype and the person is willing to give me goods or services in return.
OliverSR

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Cost. Fair enough. Thanks for other info.
One more q for now, what is the file format, output from Sketchup presumably, which you send to Shapeways ?

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”