Re: SVR Workbench-K's 14xx

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
b308

Re: Playcraft Class 21:PROGRESS!!

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Make up a "subframe" with the lights mounted in it which would then fit into the nose of the loco with wires from it to a multi connector on the chassis?

Just in case you need some spares (from the ebay thread!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAYCRAFT-2-D ... 500wt_1202

:mrgreen:

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks for that but hopefully I will not need spares and they would vastly increase project costs. It has so far only cost me about £10 for parts I didn't already have and I would like to keep costs down.
I plan to permanently attach the lights to the body and connect them to the chassis via the multi connector in the chassis. Probably won't bother with a subframe. I will trial fitting the lighting and will finally fit it properly once I have finished painting the model.
Hopefully more progress today.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm

The Bogie sideframes have been painted and fitted to the chassis. The chassis under-frame has been painted and couplings have been added to each end.

OliverSR

Re: Playcraft Class 21:Painting

Postby OliverSR » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 pm

The class 21 has now had the buffers fitted.
It has also received the first coat of Green paint.
Unfortunately the photos has not come out well and the real colour is more of a br green as that was the paint I used. This is probably due to me taking the photo in the evening. When it is finished I will take proper photos under natural light so you can see it as it really looks.

Ark Royal

Postby Ark Royal » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Um
sorry to be piccy, but that last photo looks more like BR Blue than BR Green

presuming thats the light though

Chris
If you have found the above helpful, please read my layout thread and offer a comment
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36868
Chris
Aka Ark Royal Aka HMS Ark Royal V (on other forums)

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 pm

The loco has received a second coat of paint and painting the roof and bufferbeams.
The loco then had the window edges, makers plate, headcode disks, moulded numbers and handrails were hand painted.
The fibre optics and leds were fitted inside the body and the the leds were blacked out as much as possible so light only escapes via the fibre optic cable ends.
The loco now has the fibre optic cables sticking out the front which I will trim to fit when I am happy then all I need to do is check it all fits on the chassis and runs well.
Hopefully it will be finished soon then I can move on to the next project I have lined up.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:05 am

There's nothing like close up photography for showing up painting flaws! Been there, done that, I usually paint the darker base colour like you have then do the edging or lining and then touch up with the darker colour to make it neater... Get yourself a OO or OOO sized paint brush from your local model shop and touch up the edging of the windows and along the roof in green over the parts where the white has drifted, using the photos to show you where to do it... You need a steady hand, resting it on something whilst painting will help... Trust me it'll look miles better... :wink:

It's coming along nicely btw!

OliverSR

Re: Playcraft Class 21:Nearly There

Postby OliverSR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:24 pm

The class 21 has now moved on to the layout for running testing.
Since last time it has had the lighting fibre optics trimmed and connected to the lights.
ImageImage
The Loco does not sit low enough on the chassis yet and the bogie sideframes were catching on points so will be modified. Like the real one which was unreliable the running of my model is far from perfect. It has bad haulage even with lots of lead in in and will probably only pull 3 carriages easily.
The loco paintwork will be touched up where I have damaged the finish and I will put the BR late crest on when I am happy with the running.

OliverSR

Re: Playcraft Class 21:Finished FINALLY

Postby OliverSR » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Yep you read it correctly I have FINALLY finished my class 21 upgrade project
Pressfix transfers have been added and I have done as much as I am going to do with it (I have some other projects I want to get on with)
And here is a video of the project which even shows some of the loco running in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTnI3lxKmY&feature=youtu.be
Hope those of you who have followed the project enjoyed doing so
OliverSR

OliverSR

SVR Workbench-Ironside

Postby OliverSR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 pm

My next project is to make a model of The ex LSWR 0458 class loco Ironside.
Photograph Copyright © Ron Healey all rights reserved
Inspired by a conversion done by mattmay05 converting a Hornby holden tank into the B4 class loco Normandy(the class which actually replaced the 0458 class) I am going to convert a Hornby caledonian Pug into The Last 0458 class loco, Ironside.
This is the starting point for my project a old and tired pug kindly given to me by Jimmy77 for free. It sort of runs but I need to clean it up and service it before I start the conversion.
This is a artists impression I have made as a mock up of what it will look like once finished. I will scratch build a new cab area using plasticard and I Have designed templates for the parts of the cab on the computer and will print these onto stickers, stick these on the plasticard and cut round them. Some people just seem to be a wizard with the plasticard but I will try this technique.
OliverSR

OliverSR

Re: SVR Workbench-Ironside

Postby OliverSR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 pm

The project is now well underway

Firstly I cleaned and serviced the loco and it now looks a lot less rusty(and runs!!!) though I didn't bother cleaning the body that much as I was going to cut it up shortly anyway.
The tank was cut away from the cab.
The back of the chassis was sawn away, this took me a while as this was metal.
The placticard cab parts were cut out and tested in place.
I then filed and neatened up the windows and edges of the cab.
Next I started on the cabrails and the pipework. I used some bent paperclips for the pipes and bars going towards the cab. The handrails are made from cut down hornby signal handrails I had spare.
You may have noticed that in all previous photos there is nothing fitted to the cab as there is a metal weight in there which stopped me from fitting anything. I decided to saw this away. This took longer than I expected
In fact it took several evenings of sawing in front of the telly. Almost there...
Finally I am able to put all the pieces together and give a good impression of what the finished product will look like. The chimney is a 14xx replacement chimney I picked up for a few pence a long time ago.
The next step is for me to fill in all the old holes and dents and file it all smooth. Then I can glue the pieces together though I will only add the handrails and finer details once the loco is painted. I also wish to re-try making the back of the cab as the window is too big and not neat enough for my liking(this also explains why the roof is not present in the last couple of photos.
OliverSR

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Since last post the holes have been filled in and the edges smoothened down. I have removed all the detailing bits as these will be hnad painted and added to the body after it is sprayed.
The Body and chassis was then spray painted with Halfords Satin black.
After I had done this I re-united the body with its chassis.
Next stage which is currently ongoing is the painting and adding of the detailing parts. The buffer-beam will then be detailed and painted and finally transfers and nameplates will be added at some point
OliverSR.

Biscuits

Postby Biscuits » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Looking good so far.

A couple of things you might find useful If you nip down to the local pound shop they do a set of needle files which are very good on plasticard and give a good square edge (I doubt that they'd last 5 minutes on metal though). Wilcos does a permanent black marker which will blacken metal parts such as wheels & motion.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Here is one more photo showing the current state of the loco.
I have now added the detailing and painted the bufferbeam. I intend to number it and add nameplates as well as the various touching up that needs doing.
Biscuits wrote: Wilcos does a permanent black marker which will blacken metal parts such as wheels & motion.

I probably won't darken the wheels as I quite like shiny trains (None of this Weathering nonsense) and being the hornby 0-4-0 chassis it does not have very good pickups so I don't want to get anything on them. I also need to adjust them more. This explains why there is a gap between the cab and the chassis as I will not attach the body until I am happy with the running.
OliverSR

Biscuits

Postby Biscuits » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:58 am

Nice project - well done :D

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”