Re: SVR Workbench-K's 14xx

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
OliverSR

Re: SVR Workbench-K's 14xx

Postby OliverSR » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm

At warley I spied at a stall a old playcraft class 21. After seeing one of these bought in front of me, before I had a chance at my local model shop I was instantly interested. I like the model mainly due to the shiny gears and well built appearance. In the end I got it for £5!!!
Since it cost me near to nothing I thought i would try the most ambitious (and cheapest) project I could. I decided i wanted to strip and repaint the model as well as replacing the buffers and the bogie sideframes as all the rest of the model look all right to me (i'm not to fussed about accuracy as long as it looks the part). In the electrics I have decided to fit a 8 pin DCC socket as they were "cheaper than chip's" and if it worked well I could always buy it its own decoder later. I wanted to try fitting directional lights too. After testing the motor I decided it would not be suitable for DCC but I had to hand an old motor and bogies from an underground ernie train which I decided to integrate into the chassis.
Before Christmas I had started stripping the paint off.
And tonight I decided to fit the new power for the train.
I cut some massive holes into the chassis and after a lot of filing away I made the holes the right way to fit the chassis.
This is the state the chassis is currently in and I have tested it by powering it by crocodile clips and it works a treat.
The next step is to glue it in place
Last edited by OliverSR on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 15 times in total.

nickbrad

Re: Playcraft Class 21

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Looks good so far, keep up the good work.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Interesting project. Was the original motor dead?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:54 pm

No it works fine but it did not directly stop when power was not applied. It tended to roll to a stop long after it passed the station it was meant to stop at. I could have anticipated this with time and practice but I would rather it behaved like the other locos I own. The bachmann underground ernie chassis I had lying around is also newer and would work better with my current locos. It should be better running with DCC. I will keep the old motor and see if I can find a use for it in the future.

BernardTPM

Postby BernardTPM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:19 pm

OliverSR wrote:No it works fine but it did not directly stop when power was not applied. It tended to roll to a stop long after it passed the station it was meant to stop at.

I had one of these over 40 years ago and used to have great fun with it. The flywheels effect of the large motor was aided by the fact that the mechanism has no worm gears, just pinions and spurs - quite ingenious. The grilles are quite well detailed for an early 1960s model, but it clearly demonstrates why many attempts to produce British H0 commercially have failed as it is just as wide as a 00 model, so consequently looks short and fat. I had a go at altering mine to a Class 22 as the Hydraulic versions were quite a bit shorter than the diesel-electric Cl.21. I also tried adding some extra height, but it was only ever so-so in appearance.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Progress
As I previously stated I did want to make the bogies look more realistic.
I planned to cut the sideframes off another bogie.
At my local model shop I found in a box for spares two what look like lima class 33 bogies. Considering they had 4 wheels on each bogie rather than the 6 than all else I could find I bought two.
After getting them home and cutting the sides off I found they were two long for the bogies I am using so i have cut them shorter by removing a bit from the middle. I was then able to glue these to the underground ernie side frames which are removable from the bogie.
This shows the cut down bogie after being glued to the sideframe.#
This shows the comparison with the original length.
I will probably fill in the join and eventually paint them along with the other underframe parts of the loco black to make them match up.
Next thing to do is to test out the electrics and then figure how it will neatly fit it inside the body.

BernardTPM

Postby BernardTPM » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Interestingly enough they look quite like the Cl.22 hydraulic bogies!

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:06 pm

I looked at some pictures of the real class 21's and what I have made looks to me like a good approximation of what they look like. Personally I don't usually notice the bogies when looking down on things. But I had to replace them because I REALLY didn't like the original ones.

OliverSR

Playcraft Class 21:Advice Needed!!!

Postby OliverSR » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:40 pm

As said previously I wish to wire directional lighting to the loco. I have bought some yellow and red leds and some 1k resistors and I have a colour coded dcc socket I wish to wire them to can anyone tell me how I should wire it up in order to get red lights at one end and yellow at the other depending on direction. Am I right in thinking that if I wire them up to a decoder socket they will still work on analogue if a blanking plug is fitted?

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 am

OliverSR wrote:I looked at some pictures of the real class 21's and what I have made looks to me like a good approximation of what they look like.

They are nowhere near scale, its just the outline that looks similar, even the Thomas stuff is closer! I don't think Playcraft could even agree which scale they were modelling in, just a kids toy, not a model.

Sorry to the OP but i think this (and other playcraft stuff) should be just put in the rubbish bin with the odd one in museums to show rtr model railway manufacturers and railway modellers how not to do it...

Nowt personal Oliver, just I hate them and all they stood for, even when I was using Triang stuff I avoided them...

manna

Re: Playcraft Class 21:Advice Needed!!!

Postby manna » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:10 am

G'Day Gents

As has already been said nowhere hear scale, but who cares! everyone has to start somewhere in chopping up locos, to try and make what they want, and a 5quid loco is as good as any, Keep going, have a go, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 pm

I'll grant you that, if you are going to experiment then its a good one to start with, it doesn't matter if you make a mess of it! :wink:

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:56 pm

When I said
I looked at some pictures of the real class 21's and what I have made looks to me like a good approximation of what they look like.
I was referencing the bogie sideframes I had made as replacements.

Though I know that the playcraft stuff is detested by many but I personally know of its shortcomings and don't mind. I suppose its a case of each to their own.

I agree that I
have everything to gain and nothing to lose
and that is why I am doing this project. I don't know much about the class 21 being a southern fan but as long as it looks right to my eye and doesn't look out of place next to some of my other stock in the end that is my number one concern.

Nice as all this feedback is what I really need is advice on how to wire the LEDs for directional lighting.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Way outside my league, but a Google comes up with this:

http://www.rogeramos.co.uk/dl.htm

Though I wouldn't pretend to know how it works!

You could check out one of the service sheets for a Hornby or Bachmann loco and look how they are wired up, and copy them?

OliverSR

Re: Playcraft Class 21:PROGRESS!!

Postby OliverSR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 pm

After Much thinking and figuring out of decoder function wires resistors and leds I have finally made some more progress. And it is a fair bit of progress.
Holes have been drilled into the front to allow the fibre optic cables to give it working lights. And the awful buffers have been removed and the bufferbeam has been filed down.
new buffers and bufferbeams have been scratchbuilt.
I have figured out not only how to wire the leds with resistors to do directional lighting but also to make them work on both DCC and analogue making this train truly DCC ready.
This shows them working
And finally the chassis is fully wired up and now works on Analogue with a blanking plate in place and on DCC with a decoder fitted. The connection point is for the lighting wires which will be connected to the body. This will make it easier to remove the body.
next thing to do is to find out how to fit the lights into the body and connect them to the chassis.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”