Best glue for sticking clear windows

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
009-Rich

Best glue for sticking clear windows

Postby 009-Rich » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi all
Just wondered if anyone can recommend a glue that I can use to stick the clear plastic for windows into coaches?
I have tried cheap and expensive superglue and also plasticweld but all seem to make the windows go frosty.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

fratton

Re: Best glue for sticking clear windows

Postby fratton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:04 am

Search cockpit or canopy glue, I picked up some from squires tools down the road from me, great stuff and designed not to solvent burn,,,,, used in model plane making etc,,,,,,,

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:53 am

Seconded... Most non-railway model shops sell it...

(My local model railway shop doesn't sell it, but luckily I also have a general model shop which does... and he tends to get all of my business as he sells other little bits and pieces for modelling which the other guy doesn't!)

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:17 am

You could try Micro Kristal Klear, it doesn't craze or frost clear plastic. You can even make small windows and lamp lenses with it.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:35 am

This has the windows stuck in using the canopy glue, if you can ignore the fact that the windows aren't cut exactly to size (!) you certainly can't see the glue! It starts off white and dries clear...

seasprite

Postby seasprite » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes, canopy glue. Humbrol call it Clearfix, should be in most model shops by the paints.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”