Dapol Cattle Wagon

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
jus

Dapol Cattle Wagon

Postby jus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi All,

Just picked one of these up, and built to 3/4 of the way. Really enjoyed it to be honest. Now wondering what colour to paint the interior. The exterior is on the sheet, although this seriously needs updating. I was thinking an off white, to represent dirty painted timber, unless anyone has a better idea. Google images didn't help.

Thanks

Jus
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR

poliss

Re: Dapol Cattle Wagon

Postby poliss » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm

The Goods & Not So Goods website has livery details of the inside of livestock wagons. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/6-livy/9-intro.htm

6C

Postby 6C » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Depends on whether you are weathering it...

In use they were often cleaned with lime - which gave a whitewashed appearance to the insides....
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:07 pm

6C wrote:Depends on whether you are weathering it...

In use they were often cleaned with lime - which gave a whitewashed appearance to the insides....

Not by BR days (the Dapol kit is a BR standard wagon), limewash was banned in the 1920s. It disinfected the wagons but it also damaged the animals' hooves. I think they were unpainted wood by BR days.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

6C

Postby 6C » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:37 am

stuartp wrote:
6C wrote:Depends on whether you are weathering it...

Not by BR days (the Dapol kit is a BR standard wagon), limewash was banned in the 1920s. It disinfected the wagons but it also damaged the animals' hooves. I think they were unpainted wood by BR days.

Interesting - did not know that...
They were using something of that ilk - (that left a white residue) in the 50's - I have a feeling that it was when they wanted to use a cattle wagon for another purpose - just looked like limewash...!
Wonder what it was...?
Pete

6C

Postby 6C » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 am

Apparently Lime started to go out of use in the 20's but was not banned until 1947 !, Still out of period.....

Lysol and Phenol were used instead - which left a more greyish-white residue.....

BR massively over-estimated the need for the numbers of new Cattle wagons required - as a result the BR-built ones often never carried any cattle - being used for other purpose like 'ALE' wagons and Brocolli carrying from the West country...

So in that basis go for the uncleaned version !
Pete

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:00 am

If they weren't being used for livestock some may well have been whitewashed just to make them look cleaner. Many of the staff would have done National Service where one of the rules was "if it moves salute it, if it do'nt paint it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

jack richards

Postby jack richards » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm

On another site there was an interesting thread on these. Firstly they have correct dimensions which apparently the Bachmann ones do not.

The interior was I think whitwashed but it was obviously constantly being discloured. I decided to put cattle in my two after putting heavy chunks of flat lead in. If they carry cattle in a fitted freight they are always marshalled next to the loco, so you need some heavy weighting on these to perform that role.

Jack

jus

Postby jus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for the many replies

Went for the dirty whitewashed look, with matt white and then a mixture of light and medium brown and grey weathering powders worked in. Looks ok, but had to seal the doors shut as they kept opening under movement.
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”