MTK KITS

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
theunborn

MTK KITS

Postby theunborn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi im building a couple of class 22 loco's from the old mtk kits which dont go togeather very well :roll: they seem to need a lot of filling which brings me to i was wondering if car body repair filler would be ok to use on these metal kits i always used millput which i dont really like i was thinking may be isopen filler would be better?

thanxs

Essex2Visuvesi

Re: MTK KITS

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

theunborn

Postby theunborn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi thanxs for the reply ive seen this product in my local model shop but never tried it so will give it a go.

thanxs

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:14 pm

I have used two mix car filler, but only on major build-up areas on a plastic scale model aircraft kit. It worked O.K and shows no sign of breaking away from the base plastic after 3 years of loft temperature variations 2C - 130C. I had to extend the nose of a model by around 8 mm and reshape.
In places of restricted access it could be a problem to clean up and blend in.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:58 am

I've used it as well, and Milliput which also works ok... Those MTK kits have been around for donkey's years now and weren't that brilliant when it came to fit when they first came out! I remember making up a Peak back in the 70s and having to use filler...

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:18 am

Ah, MTK. The only kits on which I've ever had to resort to using woodworking tools.

Personally I'd use the two-part car body epoxy fillers on these rather than hobby fillers. The car stuff is designed to bond to metal (the sheet metal parts of MTK kits are usually aluminium) and it's generally tougher and has a bit more 'oomphh' abou it. The hobby fillers will five you a much smoother surface but they're usually toluene (solvent) based which is great if you want them to bond to plastic but pretty hopeless at sticking to anything which toluene doesn't dissolve.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:32 am

stuartp wrote:Ah, MTK. The only kits on which I've ever had to resort to using woodworking tools.

Personally I'd use the two-part car body epoxy fillers on these rather than hobby fillers. The car stuff is designed to bond to metal (the sheet metal parts of MTK kits are usually aluminium) and it's generally tougher and has a bit more 'oomphh' abou it. The hobby fillers will five you a much smoother surface but they're usually toluene (solvent) based which is great if you want them to bond to plastic but pretty hopeless at sticking to anything which toluene doesn't dissolve.

I have used the revell plasto with great success on ply and stripwood when building my model boats

Proud member of the OAM

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:I have used the revell plasto with great success on ply and stripwood when building my model boats

That's because it will key to the (comparatively) rough surface of the wood so the difference between solvent based and epoxy based doesn't really matter. I should perhaps have stated that I was referring to it not sticking to non-porous surfaces such as whitemetal and aluminium.

My MTK 101 did finish up with stripwood and balsa in it though !
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 pm

Fair enough... not tried it on metal yet

Proud member of the OAM

theunborn

Postby theunborn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:25 pm

stuartp wrote:Ah, MTK. The only kits on which I've ever had to resort to using woodworking tools.

Hi woodworking tools ive used power tools :lol: the loco kits ive got are all whitemetal they weigh a ton and do need a lot of filler round the front end ive got some 2 part body filler will give it a try on one of the loco's thanxs for the info.

cheers

CaptainElectra

Postby CaptainElectra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 pm

I've built a few MTK kits in times gone by and would recommend using two-part car filler to help bond the ends to the aluminium shell. Milliput is also good for any finer filling, such as reshaping the ends.

My favourite was the Mk3 DVT, where several days were spent with filler totally re-working the end into something that vaguely resembled the prototype. I've also got a Class 321 and 165 somewhere...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:55 pm

CaptainElectra wrote:Milliput is also good for any finer filling, such as reshaping the ends.

Sturdy stuff Milliput. I fixed a cast metal porch lamp with it about three years ago and it's still good as new.

solario

Postby solario » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Just to slightly hijack this thread, I mixed up some milliput a few months back and was surprised when it was still soft three weeks later.

It did eventually go off, but why so slow? It's not that old......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 pm

I've found mixing Milliput very variable, using as far as I could just the same amounts each time some would be showing signs of hardening in less than an hour another batch would still be soft days later. When it does go hard it is strong but needs a good key to hold really firm to plastic.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

jack richards

Postby jack richards » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Anyone that attempts MTK deserves a medal.

If you can get a half decent result you have done well. The castings are awful.

The only person who ever succeeded was Paul Wade with his Southern Units on Tonbridge West Yard.

Jack

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”