BMR Workbench.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
End2end

Re: BMR Workbench.

Post by End2end »

What a dramatic make-over!. It looks fresh from the factory :o
I can't believe I haven't clicked on your website link before as I am not far from the Bluebelll but Mrs End2end and I enjoyed your video on there.
You've really got Horsted Keynes down to a T. Even the planting under then namebaords which actually exists in the real world! :D
Magnificent work!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thank you both, its not entirely complete missing it's over head wire warnings... but hope to address that when money becomes available.
End2end wrote:What a dramatic make-over!. It looks fresh from the factory :o
I can't believe I haven't clicked on your website link before as I am not far from the Bluebelll but Mrs End2end and I enjoyed your video on there.
You've really got Horsted Keynes down to a T. Even the planting under then namebaords which actually exists in the real world! :D
Magnificent work!
Thanks
End2end
Yes its always been there, although the site failed a little while ago so had to rebuild it from scratch... so took sometime. Yes sadly the layout isn't going to be around much longer, despite another magazine offer... but at the moment an agreement on times and dates haven't been reached so might miss that one, so might be binned early.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

This is a mini pre-grouping model works update.

LBSC 1st, 4 wheeler coach:
This was my first brass kit, I built the coach and chassis very quickly but stopped for a long time before restarting last year, having attempted a different way of lining after reading the LBSC circle which was challenging. But final completed.

Small detail changes:

SECR O1:
This has been undergoing a small make over, having been purchased in 2010, the livery was looking dated, being an early kit of mine, the chassis of the tender was upgraded with some brass bearings, plus the middle axle now moves up and down to absorb the bumps, the chassis was also straightened.
On the livery I made some new SECR transfers using the Bachmann C-Class as a photo subject to copy the complex cab and tender lining. Also updated was the connection rods, which are now finer, lubrication pots were added to the smoke-box saddle.

LBSC - 55 Stepney
Being quite an old model it needed some updates, the model's body shell is still the same as Hornby's which began life with Dapol, Stepney was a Dapol product, the colours, and detail have moved on a fair bit since, so I have been debating to update it a bit.
On the list was: Re-shape splashers, add lubrication pots, New smoke-box Dart, update pipe work to Clack valves, repaint chassis, and running plate sides, reline, remove condensing domes from tanks, remove westinghouse pump.

3D print coaches:
Although its been mostly on my 3D print thread, the finished articles LCDR, and SECR coaches.

mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

I have been working on re-going over older models and re-working them trying to bring them up to a better standard so they don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Latest one was one of my first Dean Sidings, P-Class kits now under Phoenix paints / kits, I have basically repainted, made new transfers, applied the SECR crest and removed the name plate.. and added etched numbers, as well as lamp irons.
This will be subject of an article in the free mag, The railway magazine, Guide to modelling Due in January issue due out in November.

The other model to arrive and be subject to some work over the last month has been Hornby's H-Class numbered 308, however had a number of differences to 263, Some addition lining on the cab roof and sides. Pipework to the boiler from the cab, and also lining on the sand boxes have been missing, and rivets on the smokebox and around the door. This has almost been done, with the transfers made ready to print when I got back to the mainland.

I have also various 3D print projects on the go, re-release of the GN Saloon in a higher spec material, chassis remains the same. And also the LNWR saloon is almost complete... ready for prototyping.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Good to see you getting in the swing of things again, it's looking great, that is really an attractive, yet complicated livery.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Well I haven't stopped if I am honest, I just don't post here very often now or do step by steps, as I feel no-one really reads them so decided to keep them on file instead or if they are of interest for the magazine I write for then they can have it for their publication.

But still building still researching...
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

mattmay05 wrote:Well I haven't stopped if I am honest, I just don't post here very often now or do step by steps, as I feel no-one really reads them so decided to keep them on file instead or if they are of interest for the magazine I write for then they can have it for their publication.

But still building still researching...
I do! You and manna have been massive inspiration to me and encouraged me to have a go at scratch building locos. I always enjoy your updates, even if I don't comment all the time; there's only so many synonyms for "stunning"!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Well I appreciate those who do, but sadly time is not on my side these days to write everything, especially for my next coach which I have been researching for 2 years... with information only starting to be found recently, although the diagram still is missing so have to make my own, least by the time I have finished there will be some drawings lol

Well can try some others? That's a bit naff lol Or my modelling is crap that was quite recent I got from someone... had to laugh.

Apparently next month there's a naff layout in Hornby magazine... lol I haven't seen it someone has posted it on my group.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

mattmay05 wrote: as I feel no-one really reads them.
I like many are lurkers who avidly read threads but don't want to be the poster of repetitive one liners, with "Super", "fantastic", "great", "excellent", else it may look contrived! I think the threads 65,000 views says volumes!

mattmay05 wrote:Well can try some others? That's a bit naff lol Or my modelling is crap that was quite recent I got from someone... had to laugh
Even if defamatory comments would allowed on this forum, no one in thier right mind would apply anything negative to your work, it is without doubt exceptional, way beyond the skills of the vast majority of us and should only be worthy of praise.

I am not into scratch building rolling stock, or even super detail, but I can only be impressed by the shear detail of the paint job, even down to capping the spokes, tremendous!
Also like the smoke fitted to EVERY one of your loco's, didn't even know that seuthe did steam generators! :o :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Yes 65,000 is a nice figure, although I decided to take them images and work off for a couple of reasons, as I found someone had borrowed it shall we say and tried to pass it off as their own. Which was one reason why I stopped posting.

mattmay05 wrote:Well can try some others? That's a bit naff lol Or my modelling is crap that was quite recent I got from someone... had to laugh
Even if defamatory comments would allowed on this forum, no one in thier right mind would apply anything negative to your work, it is without doubt exceptional, way beyond the skills of the vast majority of us and should only be worthy of praise.

I am not into scratch building rolling stock, or even super detail, but I can only be impressed by the shear detail of the paint job, even down to capping the spokes, tremendous!
Also like the smoke fitted to EVERY one of your loco's, didn't even know that seuthe did steam generators! :o :D
Well someone took a dislike to me over a comment I made on Dapol's page, he was a nice lad... lol, trying to make out I was insulting him over messenger which wasn't possibly, as he had that deactivated on his account so he loved to give insults and not receive them... then promptly went round on my various modelling pages deciding to slag off my modelling which was fine I didn't really mind. it was just a bit immature really, and a bit sad.
All that from a blocked off window.. amazing!

Yes mine only smoke when then motor catches on fire haha... DC effects.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Matt,
like many others I have enjoyed your threads. Like you I am getting a little peeved with some forums. I only post on this site in OO scale and another British site for largescale, although right now I am ready to chuck in the largescale forum as unfortunately I feel that they still think that Britain is a ruling colonial power with a holier than thou attitude. A friend has spent nearly two years compiling a largescale website which basically was bringing together all facets of the hobby with links to manuals, catalogues and the various manufacturers including the fallen flags.

My friend is building the website primarily for an American audience and by linking the site to his farcebook account is gaining immense interest. I posted the link to his website on the forum as I thought that there may be some interest on your side of the pond. A couple of responses were basically he is wasting his time as we do not need another link site as we have our own. Alas, the thread was deleted and when I enquired why, all I got was a one word mono-syllable response from the head moderator. For a guy who can post 48,000 responses on the same forum I saw his one word response as one of total disdain to my message.

A forum is only as good as its members and a moderator has a duty to ensure fairness to all members not just his buddies.
End2end

Post by End2end »

mattmay05 wrote:as I feel no-one really reads them
I think I have read every single post of everyones since I joined. :lol:
I'ts quite addictive this forum don'tchaknow! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have to say Mattmay05, that your modelling abilities are supurb and are on par with the best in RTR that I've seen. It is at a level where I have to really look to fathom out which are RTR and which are scratch or kit built.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I think there's a point beyond which it's difficult to go on with the one line likes and greats etc. You've established your level of excellence in most peoples minds. There will always be the moaners and disparagers, but I think they would soon get put in their place if they tried it here. We have one of the most fair minded group of people it's possible to meet, but being of the fair minded persuasion they don't go overboard in shouting their praises, the sort of person from whom a nod of the head is a great compliment. So take a few nods you've earned it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

mattmay05 wrote: This was my first brass kit, I built the coach and chassis very quickly but stopped for a long time before restarting last year, having attempted a different way of lining after reading the LBSC circle which was challenging. But final completed.
Sorry to come back to this, but I suspect the wonderment of the pictures distracted me when you originally posted. Any chance you could elucidate on this lining technique please, or point me to somewhere that does? Still not sure if I'll line my NSR coaches, but I've an open mind!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.