BMR Workbench.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: BMR Workbench.

Postby Atso » Wed May 09, 2018 9:21 am

Wow! Those are looking lovely Matt. For lining, I would try and go with the bow pen first but I wouldn't use gold. In Ian Rathbone's book he is quite happy to use colours other than the official ones stated to get that finescale look to the finished model. I was lucky enough to meet him at Warley last year and we had a very informative chat about how he goes about things. I got to see several of his models in the flesh and can honestly say, I couldn't tell that some of the lining colours were wrong. The fact that he typically uses a light grey instead of white on locomotives was staggering - it just look so right.
Steve

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:17 am

Hi Steve, thank you, yes I have a dvd of I think it's Tony Wright's right track series where he's basically building and painting and has a bit with Ian demonstrating what he does, he has a lot more experience than I and I have only used it a couple of times the bow pen... I know what you mean by using different colours, something that's crossed my mind, as I have had problems with gold transfers from Fox that seem to of gone green over time... so have been looking at options to get round it... not had an issue with HMRS yet and I have a set of gold lining I haven't used... so yes when I get over this period of ill health I will have a go at it... sadly none of these we known modellers get this far south, so don't have the chance to see or speak to them.

But the DVD will have to do at the moment.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:14 am

Another odd - never waser locomotive recently complete, using an old schools chassis I had lying around, using photos of the 2 versions they made using ply sadly the streamline or air smoothed schools never made it...
2 versions as mention were done the first was quite basic the second was a bit more refined, its a mix of the 2.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:09 am

Matt,
as usual a great job. No reflection on your work, however, the prototype design looks like one of the tinplate toys from the 1930's.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”