BMR Workbench.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
OliverSR

Re: BMR Workbench - B4, USA, O2, LNWR, P-Class, H2 Atlantic

Postby OliverSR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Again a great job done on a original and clever idea. I think the way you made this model is fitting that your model like the real thing is made out various bits like the real one.
I think the interest you have received is due to this being such a unique kit/scratch/RTR project(its certainly given me a few ideas).
You might have trouble fitting any future projects on the threads title soon though.
OliverSR

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks Oliver, yes the topic name won't go much further, haha good thing I've run out of projects at the moment so probably a good thing. thanks for the comment.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 am

edit test

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:33 pm

SR/LBSC/BR, H2 Atlantic

Now has been moved to the website: http://bluebell-railway.webs.com/projectspage.htm
Last edited by mattmay05 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Great show matt

You could easily enter in that the forums de ja vu photo recreation Competition ;)
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks mate

Was think bout that last night looking at some entries ect... I may do will have to look in to it. I never really enter competitions as ive never really won anything. But will look in to it late.

Cheers
M

mattmay05

Re: BMR Workbench -Updates... and more projects..

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Updates...

A little while ago the H2 was completed, with my layout being out of action due to winter and remodelling various other parts, The H2 was taken to the High Wycombe and District model railway society, for a test run. It first went through running in, which seemed ok, and ran pretty well.
I then undertook a loaded test run, the test track has gradients built in... the loco started with 5 coaches but was apparent it was struggling up the gradient, it seemed happier at 4 coaches and ran with those 4 consistantly, which you can see in a video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiJBF-CbBCU
H2, Features 8 mins in to the video.

SR/LBSC/BR, H2 Atlantic

Now has been moved to the website: http://bluebell-railway.webs.com/projectspage.htm
Last edited by mattmay05 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 am

SECR H-Class transfers

Last edited by mattmay05 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:57 am

I love the Atlantic and the imaginative bashing process required to produce it. The result is stunning...
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Thank Gerald, glad you like and enjoyed the madness, still making tweeks to it, should have another test tomorrow.

Ivatt Class 2 Conversion to BR 2MT.

Last edited by mattmay05 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Ivatt Class 2 Conversion to BR 2MT.

Last edited by mattmay05 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianthesnail96

Postby brianthesnail96 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Again with the H class- looks a bit suspect at the midway stage, put it all together and blend everything in and it looks spot on- fantastic.

Baby standard is nice too :mrgreen:

mattmay05

Re: BMR Workbench -Wagons!

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 am

Thanks Brianthesnail96

Cambrian Wagon Kit
SECR, 2 Plank, Dropside, Ballast Wagon.

For Christmas just gone I got a few kits, from Cambrian, first one I'll start off with is the SECR, 2 Plank, Dropside, Ballast Wagon (C77). These kits are all plastic, with a bit of metal wire for the brake blocks and various other bits, on the underframe.
The things you need for this kit, Wheels, couplings, and some etched Hooks and Chains, Paint, Transfers, and wheel bearings.

So this is the Kit:

Firstly the Wagon body is constructed, I used super glue as its a bit faster acting than Liquid Poly...

The wagon floor is then dropped in from the top and glued in to place...

On to the next part of the build, the underframes, the 2 Sides of the wagon, with axle boxes and sole bars.... where cut from the spru, and the Brass Romford bearings glued in place..

These are then glued in position on the Floor of the wagon, there are locator tabs on the underside of the floor, and the 2 sides of the underframe glued in place, and wheels are added, to check for allignment and spacing.
The Brake leaver is added to one side of the underframe, and then the Brake hangers and blocks were glued in place on the located tabs on the wagon floor.

The wagon than began the painting process, The SECR wagons are usually a very dark grey, I used what believe to be close to the colour that I have seen on the Bluebell. I use Acrylic paints, and found the 69 Granite Grey in the Revell Range fitted the bill... all the outside of the wagon and underframe is painted in this colour, and I used Revell paint, 381 Brown for the inside of the wagon.

Approx 3 coats were added to the wagon, when dry I used HMRS Pressfix transfers, A freight sheet, which had SECR, LBSC, LSWR, and Sr numbers and lettering on it, The P.W.D part of the wagon was made up from letters out of Gunpowder van, with small transfer dots between the letters from the same sheet.

After these transfers a Big Mug of tea was needed... so I found myself a big mug!

3 extra parts were added to the side of the wagon just under the dropside doors... in a slight recess...

To finish off on the buffer beams, I brought a couple of Etched coupling hooks from mainly trains (MT 356). I also picked up a few months ago some metal chain about the right size for OO, I got this from a high street shop called The Works, cost about £2.99, does the job and looks pretty good.

These were primed and painted and glued in position. The Couplings were added just under the buffer beam on a coupling block which is part of the kit.
The wagon is then Varnished with Acrylic Matt Varnish, and the wagon was ready, some weight will be added later, when approppraite type is found.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:43 am

Lovely job. Pretty simple yet effective little kits the Cambrian's! Hopefully you have a Dance Hall in the pipeline?

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 am

Indeed nice kits and easy way to improve kit building skills and also adding some different to a layout. I looked at the Dance hall brake van kit, its a bit pricey for what it is, as the bluebell has 2, so will be a month or so, to get money back in after xmas.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”