BMR Workbench.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
OliverSR

Re: BMR Workbench - Baxter, B4, USA, O2, general work!

Postby OliverSR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:00 pm

When I saw Dean Sidings stall at Thornbury show he appeared to have P class kits so you may get lucky.
OliverSR

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm

yeah no good if he doesn't respond... i know he has a small stock, but no good when you can't get hold of him, and won't see him until next year now so, no point to try, just wait until opportunity and a reasonable chassis is acquired.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:00 pm

LNWR Observation car

Project now moved to the website.
Last edited by mattmay05 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Great little project you got there and its really coming together nicely. Will you be populating the carriage?
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

manna

Postby manna » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:07 am

G'Day Gents

Excellent stuff.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:16 am

Thank you guys for the comments, was starting to wonder if it was being read. :D

Siquelme yes i will be putting figures in the coach. As its very open would be silly to leave it empty... was even thinking about lighting it at one point but decided against it as it was getting complex as it is.

Ive managed today to sort some of the remaining moldings on the coach and also revised some pipe work and a few bits on the underside of the coach... as well as adding steps around the doors.

I also took the decision to change the bogies all be i was going for reliable running on the old ones, as someone said on my FB group, there not very LNWR, so i decided to build the 2 bogies from the LNWR Kits, and fitting the hornby wheel sets.

I'm not a great fan of the Bogies on these kits... always found them a bit flimsy and fall apart quite easily, Ive made some adjustments and stiffened it up a tad which I will show tomorrow, as I'm now getting in to the priming stage and painting stage.

Still many more things to do like the seating which all need to be re done.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:16 pm

LNWR Observation car

Last edited by mattmay05 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliverSR

Re: BMR Workbench - Baxter, B4, USA, O2, LNWR observation Ca

Postby OliverSR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Looking good.
Its nice to see that you are expanding not just to building the unique locos that the bluebell has but also the coaches they own. Especially as you seem to not have concentrated on this side of the bluebell so much (Even seeing some old Hornby "southern" coaches in your sidings in the photo). Maybe you might make the GNR Saloon one day.
Always inspiring to see and keen to see more.
OliverSR
(Oh and I just Realised this is the 10,000th post in the kit building section, well done everyone)

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks for the comments Oliver, was starting to wonder if people were bored of this thread...

Yes well always trying to get as many of the unique coaches or wagons as possible, as you say got most of the locos now, really the rolling stock is the ones left.

I have got one or 2, The LSWR Brake 3rd Lav, which I have, of course some SECR stock would be nice but costs a hell of alot built, and the kits aren't that cheap either, and not being able to work with Brass certainly makes things difficult to expand.

The GNR saloon strangely was asked about it today as someone else was looking to make it as well, the GNR saloon is a difficult one as its not a standard GNR teak coach window sizes are a bit odd... but I'm looking in to various things for this one, But is not high up on my list as it doesn't run often. Also looking to get the Blue maunsell eventually.

I'm hoping to get another Dean Sidings P-Class... which is proving difficault.... as well as another Loco conversion, which I'm still working on making it fit. So may happen after this.

This coach has been a paint to do... quite a bit of compromise was needed, but still it looks like it, its taken 2 years to get this far... just hope I finish it this time... Its in its second coat of paint the roof is complete so I will post that up over the weekend.
Last edited by mattmay05 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:48 pm

LNWR Observation car

Last edited by mattmay05 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 pm

mattmay05 wrote:The GNR saloon strangely was asked about it today as someone else was looking to make it as well, the GNR saloon is a difficult one as its not a standard LNER teak coach window sizes are a bit odd...

Thats right, because its not an LNER vehicle! ;)

But in all seriousness, with the right contacts :roll: , I'm sure you can get a wealth of photos and measurements if necessary. I would certainly be interested to see it in OO, and happy to help with pics etc. Had one build in O for the chairman of the Howlden Trust, which now frequents the West Lulworth layout, any size, it's always a beaut.

T

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Yes apologies i was speaking to 2 people at the time... one was asking how could it be done and I was typing here at the same time... and I put the wrong company yes you are right GNR not LNER....

Only thing is with these special coaches... its not easy with plasticard... so it has be done with kits or bits of spare coach sides ect....Reason I was saying LNER obviously the finish or the timber its made of is i think Teak... and LNER gresley coaches also have the same finish... which would make it easier even though end of the day it will need to be repainted anway... which are available from Pheonix paints.

I have looked in to the possibility of doing it, but at this moment in time... there isn't much i can use... until i see something or have a vision of how to go about it, Like i have with the LNWR one, which is now at the 3 year mark...

But at the moment I'm not to interested in that one as it only runs on the odd occasion due to be in private ownership. Where as the LNWR car runs more, SECR stock is a high priority but from what I'm hearing that may not be far away so I'm holding back on that side for now, as Moving is a bigger priority.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:21 pm

LNWR Observation car

Last edited by mattmay05 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manna

Postby manna » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 am

G'Day Gents

Great work on that observation coach, don't know much about the LNWR, maybe one day, I did see the GNR coach once when it was in the old Coronation shed at Wood Green/Hornsey, back in about 1971, didn't it stand out amongst the Blue and Grey of that era.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Thank you Manna for the comment appreciate it cheers, I have progressed with the observation car... not really enough to show at the moment maybe towards the end of the weekend.

I also got another kit that arrived at the end of the week, another Dean Sidings kit, which I will soon start on..

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”