Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Bufferstop

Re: Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:33 am

Ian 'll let Mike answer on how thick is his preferred card, but there is very little correlation betwen thickness and weight. You can get 80gsm paper which is decidedly thinner than 70gsm. It's all down to the final rollers when it's finished. Best to establish the thickness with a pair of calipers. You can get a set ideal for many modelling tasks for a tenner, great for back to backs and check rail clearances as well.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ianb26

Postby ianb26 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi Bufferstop, thanks for reply. The last couple of kits, I have used the 1.9mm card. I checked the thickness of a Metcalfe kit and it was about 1.45mm. So it likes like I'll stick with what I have.

Your answer was similar to what I got in an email from Mike.

Thanks again.

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:34 pm

hello,
300gsm card would be somewhere in the region of .014" or about .33mm.
Regards
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

ianb26

Postby ianb26 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:41 am

Hi Mike,

I've nearly completed the low relief house from a few years ago. I am doing the one with the bay windows option, but I am confused with one part. The part of the bay windows where it says "Bay window area". Where does that fit into the overall kit? You did post some photos but back then photobucket said these images were not available.

Your video of the construction of the basic kit was very good, but unfortunately it didn't contain the assembly of the bay windows part. :(

Do you have any photos of the assembly of the bay windows? If so could you email them to me, or maybe put them on here. Or does anyone have any photos they could post in a viewable form?

As an aside, why were the Photobucket photos unable to be viewed?

Thanks in advance.

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:25 am

ianb26 asked "Bay window area". Where does that fit into the overall kit?

I'm sure by now you will have solved the problem but perhaps this image of my compleated model will be of some help.

Brian.

ianb26

Postby ianb26 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks Doghouse.

I had an idea that was the way it was assembled, Mike confirmed it for me with his latest build video. My version has some minor alterations with the windows cut out - albeit not very neat - to take clear glazing for interior lighting. Even if I say so myself, it looks good.

Ian

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:51 pm

@ianb26
As an aside, why were the Photobucket photos unable to be viewed?

A couple of years ago Photobucket pulled a rotten trick, after years of encouraging people to store their images and embed them into their web sites they decided that only the owner and people who paid for the privilege could view them. If you wanted to carry on using them on your website then you would have to pay a not inconsiderable monthly fee. It caused a lot of people a lot of time and trouble to modify their sites to use pictures from elsewhere and we assume lost them a lot of customers in the process, (I've yet to come across anyone who paid them to carry on). Months later they started inviting people to use a new service which did not do what we all wanted.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am

Morning Model Railway Fans,

It's been a while since a new kit was launched so good news today one will be available Friday or Saturday 27th / 28th March. It was to be launched first week of March but work commitments & all the issues happening in the UK meant time taken away from my modelling. I hope everyone is fine. I know a few people that are now self isolating as per NHS advise, thankfully they've not tested positive so that's good news.

So what do we have today. This is a kit I've wanted to build for quite some time, it's very much out of period for Wordsworth but I will be using once I have my new extension boards in place. Today I show you my version of a locomotive / rolling stock wash plant. I may have it completely wrong but it's only a loosely based model.

So less talk lets have a look what's coming. Also I'll be uploading a full "Lets build a Card Kit" video of this should anyone want to see how it's done.

Here is the basic building without the roof, showing roof supporting legs & the high pressure spray rails.

Here's the entrance view with the roof on

Here we look from one of the sides.

Now we have a corner on view.

I found this to be a very good build & enjoyed the process. You will need to take time when cutting out the inner / outer frame pieces but it looks great when done this way.

I hope you all enjoy this new release, and there are more to come.

All the best,
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am

That looks fantastic Mike.

All I need to do now is find an excuse to have it somewhere......
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”