Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
mikem64

Re: Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Postby mikem64 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:37 am

Hi End2end,

The Tarps in GW should be very quick & staright forward as it's just a case of stripping back the NE Tarps I have, so will have these very soon. As for the China Clay Hoods I did some ages ago thinking like an idiot all Hornby / Bachmann wagons would be the same dimensions, but why would they if they are scaled models.....DOH.

What I need to do is pick one size donor wagon either from Hornby / Bachmann or Dapol as the base & make the blue hoods to fit. Once I decide the wagon it's another simple case of adjusting the one I have, therefore these will be available soon.

So what about two new kits uploaded this morning. Well we have the Rendered front Railway Cottages with rear Ext. OK they are similar to the ones alreay up on the web, but still a very good addition to the range. The second kit as promised ages ago are those 12' high arched walls as I've used on my own layout.

Here are what they look like on my layout.

The Fully coloured rendered railway cottages sit nicely over looking the church yard pond.

Here are those 12' high arched walls which block the view of the Diesel TMD from local residences.

I thought whilst in a giving mood I'd give a sneak preview of two more kits being built for my own layout. I do hope to have these finished the early part of the new year as I plan loads of work to move the layout forward.

This is the new Wordsworth Bonded Warehouse, it's modular so I'll be building two section long for my layout (Image from Corel Draw)

Next we have the new Railway Hotel, This kit will either have a normal apex pitched roof or I have this crazy idea for a flat roof terrace so I can then add an upper floor with lean to conservatory with tables on the upper terrace....Idea too far I don't know.

But the greenhouse kit worked well so if I just scale that up a little it should look great. No rush & I'll continue with the design to see what the building shouts out for.

Well there you have it, I'm off into the loft now to build another 12' wall behind a new row of houses to the right side of the TMD.

Cheers Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:11 pm

mikem64 wrote:What I need to do is pick one size donor wagon either from Hornby / Bachmann or Dapol as the base & make the blue hoods to fit. Once I decide the wagon it's another simple case of adjusting the one I have, therefore these will be available soon.

If it helps Mike, I've just looked through both the 2017 Hornby and Bachmann catalogues (I don't have the dapol catalogue unfortunatly) and there doesn't seem to be any specific china clay wagons in the Hornby catalogue.
The china clay wagons listed in the Bachmann catalogue are 33-086 and 33-087 and state they are 80mm long. I'm not sure if they are measured buffer to buffer or size of the wagon body though.
The 33-086 has a tent style hood in the usual sky blue colour in BR Bauxite. The 33-087 has no hood in BR Bauxite.

There is also the triple black hooded pack of china clay wagons in GW grey - 33-090

I think Bachmann have produced the largest range of china clay wagons over recent years, all to the same design as mine are mainly bachmann with only a very few limited edition Dapol china clay wagons.

I have some running around to do today but when I get back I'll measure the Dapol ones for you if needs be.
Again I think they are all to the same design / dimensions as each other.

Just to reiterate about the hoods. Would both the tent style and flat stlye covers (like your NE one) be possible?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:22 pm

OK I've taken a couple of photos of china clay wagons and their measurements.

First off here are some Bachmann ones.
DSCF8501.JPG
DSCF8501.JPG (120.54 KiB) Viewed 608 times

The top bauxite (I removed the tent shaped hood before taking the photo) and grey wagons are the same dimensions @ 65.8mm by 34.8
So more like 66mm by 35mm.

All other bauxite or grey Bachmann china clay wagons I have are the same dimensions EXCEPT FOR the bottom red ECC wagon which is 30.8mm so more like 31mm by 73.4 so more like 74mm

Next up is the same red bachmann ECC wagon with the Hornby ECC version underneath.
DSCF8503.JPG
DSCF8503.JPG (125.92 KiB) Viewed 608 times

The Hornby version is much larger at 87.8mm by 33.25mm so more like 88mm by 34mm.

I prefer the Bachmann version of the ECC wagon as it's much more detailed and looks better behind loco's.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Next up here's some Dapol china clay wagons.
DSCF8506.JPG
DSCF8506.JPG (144.99 KiB) Viewed 602 times

As you can see these are from various time periods in Dapol's history so the packaging has changed over time.

The measurements are as follows..
Brown "Great Beam Clay Co." in the newsest style Dapol box :-72mm by 32mm
Red "Great Treverbyn" in previous generation style Dapol box : - 72mm by 33.2mm
Brown "Martin Bros Ltd." in previous generation style Dapol box : - 72mm by 33.2mm
Grey "Hannah Samwel & Co." loose/no box : - 72mm by 33mm
Grey "West Of England" - loose / no box :- 72mm by 33mm

This makes making a generic Dapol version easy using 73mm by 34mm although the Bachmann wagons are still much more prolific that I have seen and are even advertised in the Bachmann catalogue.
I have not seen a Dapol catalogue so cannot confirm this for the Dapol wagons.

The red Hornby ECC wagon in the first photo is a bit of a conundrum.
It hasn't been in the Hornby catalogue since 2015 listed as R6666 but this looks slightly more decorated than the one I've shown in the photo.
The one I've shown is actually new as it comes from a Hornby train set and this seems the ONLY place to get this wagon new now.
It's one of the smaller sets with loco, 2 wagons and a brake van. Sorry I forget which. Something like the Western Messenger or Local Freight set.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 am

Hi End2end,

Thank you for those wagon sizes, I'll use these to formulate a processs for the triangle shaped china clay tarps.

What I've done for now is a test sample of some flat English China Tarp sheets I can across whilst browsing the internet, screen shoot below.

Flat China Clay tarp with ECC logo in the center & around the edges, these were draped over the wagons.

I've also done my first GW Tarp sample, see image below.

Flat GW tarps ready for those wagons / loads that need protection against the weather.

I'll work on the triangle shaped tarps over the next few weeks. In the meantime I'm completing my post office shop which I need for the parade of shops in front of my TMD on Wordsworth. I've also perfected my faded painted wall llogo technique again, the results look aamazing. I can hardly wait to show off this new design....But I am, what a tease....LOL

OK short & sweet today but I'm feeling good about the whole kit / layout forcast.

Hope these samples meet the needs, if enough thumbs up I'll get them up loaded on the web.

Cheers,
Mike.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 am

I'm sure I speak for all your followers,thanks for the tarps Mike.
best wishes to You and Wordsworth for the new year.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:45 am

The tarps look great Mike. :D
I didn't even think of having the ECC logo on them or different numbers on the GW ones.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi Mike,

I owe you apologies - I've never downloaded anything ...... What a damn wast
as I always admire what you have done.

Now being an IT idiot I shall have to find how to get those GWR tarps downloaded.
I've been using unmarked cooking foil oblongs, but they fall rather short of what I
really want !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm

With no deference to Mikes work, he will be hard pressed to keep up with all the range of requests to have different texts and colours and sizes! :o
My thoughts are, that this exercise is simply a print from a computer, therefore rather than using a "fixed" pdf, it should be possible to make a programmatical chunk of software that can be configured to output any of the variables?

My go to is excel and I am sure I can write the VBA to automate changes, the only stumbling block, may be the "upside down" text!

I will have a go and see what I can come up with.......
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 am

Hi Gents,

Just a very quick update, I've uploaded 2 new kits & 1 faded end wall advert kit. Both new kits use the proved & tested Country Railway cottage design so they'll fit right in with any new town scene, build as semi buildings or keep adding to form long terrace rows.

The faded end wall advert kit is designed to replace the end wall in kits wmrTS55 / 56 / 57 / 60 or 61. Only 6 designs in there so far but I will expand the range as we go.

Here is a brief peak on the work bench.

See the faded wall advert on the new country super store with the new country post office next door.

Please enjoy
Mike.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”