Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
barney121e

Re: Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Postby barney121e » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Can anyone advise what adjustments they made to use thicker card, 1mm or 2mm, as am finding the 300gsm recommended rather flimsy for OO gauge?

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Gents,

Well it's nice to be reading that some of the kits which I thought people may have trouble with when converting to smaller n gauge have worked out well, remember feel free to post those pictures here as I'm sure it will encourage other modeller to take up the card way...LOL

As you all know I'm struggling to get time with modelling or kit designs, & some have been wondering where the new 3 Lane engine Shed is at, so I enlisted the help of a true gent & fellow kit builder Brian Mason to complete the first full test build. As you may remember my design was quite simple & was based on just one section which you replicate until the desired length is reached.

With Brians efforts it's nice to see the kit built to its fulll glory, so many thanks Brian. The kit comes with my normal window design but I've also followed many requests to add some acetate printed version which are also included, you the modeller can decide which version you want.

So lets have a look at this latest kit, Brian has sent me some photos for me to publish here.

We start with a nice side view.

The roof truss beams make for a very stable construction.

Here we have a couple of diesel locos that have taken up residance.

Finally a lovely look down on the roof.

Now that this kit is finished I was thinking about ways it could now be adapted, say you want to make it a six lane shed, simply cut out the arch opening rather than the windows, glue the sheds side by side & it's done.

Also the ducting kit from the Bus Depot kit, print this off & use on the roof for added detail, funny the more I think about it the more you can do with this one. Anyway lets see what you all make of this brand new kit joing the Wordsworth range.

Just before I go, the query regards the 300gsm kits, you can stiffen these up with 1mm or 2mm card stock, the easy way would be to cut the same shape as the front wall / side walls but remember to reduce the width by that of the card stock, hope this helps.

Catch you all later.
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Mike,

Thank you for all your complimentary remarks on my recent test build of your 3 lane engine shed.
It was a pleasure to construct and I was pleased that I could take some of the current pressure from your already demanding personal workload.
If and when you require similar assistance I will be only too willing to help.
With each new offering your model railway card designs go from strength to strength. Gone are the good old days of the "glue flap" – lol

Cheers,
Brian.

ianb26

Postby ianb26 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:05 am

Hi Mike,
As you may have noticed in a comment on one of your videos, I was having trouble interpreting the assembly of The Old Oak Pub. I googled "how to assemble old oak pub kit from wordsworth model railway" and it led to the this forum - :) - and I found what I, hopefully, need in the photos. I will now attempt to assemble it as per the photos.

Thanks for your great kits.

Ian

ianb26

Postby ianb26 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 am

Hi Mike,
Sometime ago I sent you an email regarding a fast food/restaurant kit. Would it be possible to collaborate with your friend Brian on this kit. I apologise if this seems to be a bit pushy. It doesn't need to be huge in size. (I am running on HO scale) As I mentioned in my email, if copyright maybe a problem, I appreciate your efforts either way. I was thinking Maccas, KFC, or a couple of local ones here in Australia, Hungry Jacks - which is the Oz version of its parent company, Burger King - and Red Rooster. If you neede photos of the Aussie ones I can end you some (preferably by email).

Thanks again

Ian

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 am

Hi ianb26,

Fast Food Restaurant kits are available at very reasonable prices from John Howe at http://www.kingswaymodels.com/index.htm.
There's a choice to build McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut or a superb representation of a Little Chef. I hope this helps.

Brian.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Troopers,

Just a quick one, I've started test building a new kit, The Wordsworth Large Station version 2 I think. Need this large station as this new layout of mine has longer platforms which made the Grand Station seem a little too small.

The build has got off to a flying start, looking good alreaady I must say. I was going to do a YouTube video build but I've opted for a pictorial YouTube video instead.

So rather than recording the build real time I'll use all the photo's in sequence with captions, that way you can watch & build the new kit at the same time simply by pressing pause at each stage. I'll do the video once the kit hass been completed, or if the video starts to get too long what I might do is split it down into parts, I'll know once I start the video editing.

OK a quick photo session before we head down to Clumber park for the day, walk around the lake with my good lady & Monty the springer spaniel.

The basic parts for the lobby area build.

Once glued together with some detail parts added (Station signs etc

The new fascia with the lobby area glued in place.

That's all I have today but I'll keep you all updated as the build progresses.

P.S I do have a part designed fast food outlet in my folder but it's going to be a little longer before I get back round to completing it.

Cheers Mike.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:03 am

Looks good Mike, I can see some possibilities for cross kitting already. Enjoy the walk :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ColHut

Postby ColHut » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 pm

barney121e wrote:Can anyone advise what adjustments they made to use thicker card, 1mm or 2mm, as am finding the 300gsm recommended rather flimsy for OO gauge?

I use 1 and 1.5 mm for most buildings of any size. The thin card warps too easily in my climate even with airconditioning in summer. Frequent balsa bracing where I can get away with it too if it cannot be seen.

YMMV depending on temperature and humidity variations.

regards

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:36 am

Photobucket is phuking up so I cannot see the newest photo's.
Not sure if it's thier site or something more elaborate but I phougth it worth mentioning. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:12 am

End2end wrote:Photobucket is phuking up so I cannot see the newest photo's.
Not sure if it's thier site or something more elaborate but I phougth it worth mentioning. :D
Thanks
End2end

Sheer greed, I have posted this here....
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51824
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:31 pm

I've deleted all my photos that were stored with Photobucket and will now be starting afresh with Flickr
in the hope that they continue to receive free hosting for the foreseeable future.
A new start can sometimes be a good thing, so perhaps Photobucket has done me a favour.

Back in business thanks to Flickr and fellow members for all their assistance :

Brian.

ColHut

Postby ColHut » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 am

Well Mike, a thought for you. How about some corner buildings for shops or terraces? That would fit nicely on the elbow of my layout!!

regards

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am

Well I can see Brians been very busy, the street scene looks great, full of character. Nice to see the lighting inside the church, shows off that stain glass just right.

Wish I'd been ass busy on my own layout & kits but not too be. After saying that I have had some time to myself & sneaked a hour here & a hour there but nothing major so it's only bits I've worked on.

So on the kit front, I've been laying some road section on Wordsworth and one of my dotty ideas was to have some road works, the idea sounds solid but whether I can pull it off is something else, but I needed a new kit for this scene. I know I started one design ages ago but never got round to completing it until now, maybe because I need it put the pressure on to have it done with.

It's a nice simple thing, my take on a Murphy Group 3.03m x 5.1m port-a-cabin, made with 1mm card stock from a single sheet. I'm quite happy with how it's turned out, lets hope the scene it's part of looks as good.

So here is my finished Murphy port-a-cabin.

Port-a-cabin with levelling extension legs.

Quick view from a different angle.

Ok it's not the Ritz but a fitting kit worthy for a place on my web site. for those that are keen to have there own I'll upload later this evening or early Monday morning since I have a day off work.

Keep up those kit builds, & post your completed work here, I'm sure other readers would love to see them ass I know I would.

Cheers Mike.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:57 pm

A good portacabin Mike. Murphy was the contractor who laid a lot of the midlands' telephone ducting in the 60s expansion, they didn't run to such luxury accommodation, whenever I had to meet up with one of the many Murphy brothers it was always in the cafe or pub, their site huts just weren't acceptable even to them. I think one of their grotty examples would be beyond your drafting skills.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”