Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Bufferstop

Re: Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi Mike, as you can see from my lo-res image I'm bashing your kits to turn them into something else, yet again.
I've been experimenting, with windows this time, if I copy one of your windows and print it onto high gloss photo paper, small sash windows, glued behind their openings look quite realistic when compared to ones cut out and glazed. I think its because only a low level of light gets in through the small windows , whereas large (plate glass) windows let you see what is inside. The fact that the glazing bars are glossy isn't very apparent. Downside is an A4 sheet of expensive paper for half a dozen windows.
I'm guessing that you have a stock set of windows which you copy in as required when doing a new kit. You could put a selection of multiples of them on A4 pages then they could be used on the glossy paper and cut out as required, or just printed on ordinary paper and used to add or change windows to avoid too many copies of the same house in one row.
I can always print out your sheets and scan them in again to make changes, but a)it's a faff tweaking the colours to get back to the same shades, and b)not everyone has a scanner at home. One of the perks of running a business from home is that things like scanners are IT expenditure, and can be written down against tax in the first year. That's a 40% discount if the year's a good one..
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi john,

Love the kit bash & you have me hooked with the initial photo. Will be watching where you take this one with great interest.

Regards the Windows I do recycle it the size / look fits the latest building they are to go into, cheating a little, but does save a little time using something you know that works.

Interestingly I've had a similar request for my chimney pots. Like you've already mentioned by providing a full sheet you can then use just the number you require, then save the remaining printed sheet for future kit bashing.

So I will be adding something to the site shortly.

Cheers Mike
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

ColHut

Postby ColHut » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:33 pm

They look great as usual Mike. I need to get the tracklaying finshed so I can build more items :)

Regards

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:51 pm

The new village Police Station looks great. A very welcome addition the Town Scene collection.
I've taken the liberty of reducing the number of chimneys to six and adding first floor windows to front and rear.
(Can't think why the original design didn't have any !)

Last edited by Doghouse on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:33 am

Hi Gents,

A lovely bit of kit bashing their Doghouse, I actually played with upper windows but for some reason I just liked the look of the lower windows only so opted to release that version, maybe I'll go back & add the upper floors later.

For those waiting for the new platform ramp sections, well I've finished my basic design, I have the first draft print & plan doing some kit building a little later, if I've not made any errors, then these should be up on the web within a week.

I had a few emails regards links not working, I believe I finally got them all working again, but if anyone does spot any I've missed either drop me an email or post the issue here.

Nice to hear the new look web site has gone down well, had plenty of comments so thank you all for the feed back.

Until my next post, keep that happy modelling feel.

Cheers Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

HotBox53

Postby HotBox53 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:15 pm

It looks great Mike, many thanks for your fine work. The website also looks fresh and easy to navigate, well done!
First class passengers remain seated!
Second class passengers get out and walk!
Third class passengers get out and push!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi Mike and Mikefans, I've been doing some serious surfing and found a great site for textures at http://bgfons.com. The asphalt, bricks and stone pages in particular have loads of free to download images. The images carry no copyright notice but the page they are on does. I would assume it's OK to use them for any personal use, which is what it says in the accompanying text.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Bufferstop wrote:a)it's a faff tweaking the colours to get back to the same shades

To copy a colour, I use this program to find the exact colour code required.

http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/

It was a free download and it has not caused any problems. Let me know what you think of it.

Brian.

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:48 pm

mikem64 wrote:I thought I would cheer you all up with a sneak preview of some new kits coming very soon

I've resurrected a design from Mike's post way back on page 44.
It started life as "Dunbar Bus Depot" but I don't think it was ever finished.
I've kit bashed it into a couple of low relief track side buildings.
The windows are all glazed and with only the printed paper backing,
therefore light will shine through if installed, while the interior remains unseen.

Last edited by Doghouse on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Love all of your kits Mike, have you ever thought of making a Gazebo/Rotunda Kit ? it would look great with all your other town buildings.
Regards
Nobby

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:32 pm

Another Martin Masterpiece !
This is my end result, including mistakes, additions and minor modifications.
No doubt the eagle eyed will spot them all. The most obvious of course being the windows.
I was making a complete mess of the paper windows so I printed my own on acetate
keeping the original design but with black frames rather than the original white.

Last edited by Doghouse on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ausipeet

Postby Ausipeet » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:03 pm

wonderfull bit of work there Doghouse, really impressive work. Would drinking straws painted to match the colour of these buildings then carefully cut in half add a bit of realism to the buildings as gutters, do not know if this would work for scale but i think it would be worth a try. Keep up the great work all the ppl here commenting on Mike's stuff will get me back to working on building his kits soon. have so much on the go it is like trying to do ten thousand things at once and not getting anywhere, my ho scale room is in disarray as i have recently purchased a Z scale layout that requires some work so everything is in there and i need to get motivated to get something done again.

But i still come and check out this forum every day looking for new designs, from Mike, and new ideas from fellow kit builders.

Regards Peter
AKA ausipeet
From Adelaide in Australia

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:38 am

Regular straws, no, but cocktail straws, that may well work. I never thought of that despite actually having some cocktail straws here. They may still be a tad overscale, but I'd need to offer them up to a building to see how much by.

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:41 pm

Post by mikem64 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:33 am
For those waiting for the new platform ramp sections, well I've finished my basic design, I have the first draft print & plan doing some kit building a little later, if I've not made any errors, then these should be up on the web within a week.

Sorry Mike, couldn't wait any longer, just had to have a go at building my own version.

Last edited by Doghouse on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.Daneel

Postby R.Daneel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:15 am

Doghouse....

That looks real nice.

What slope did you use for the end piece?

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”