Metcalfe coal stage

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
UrbanHermit

Metcalfe coal stage

Postby UrbanHermit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Has anyone ever built a Metcalfe coal stage kit? What I'd like to know is how much room you'd need to allow for the ramp up to the high level track.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

ngresley

Re: Metcalfe coal stage

Postby ngresley » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Can't help you on that one but I have a question of my own about this kit: what region and size of loco facility is it based on?

I'm planning a loco depot for my layout (turntable, two-loco shed, inspection pits etc) and would like to put a coal stage in, but I'm wondering if it would be too big for a depot of that size (and whether it would fit in with Midland region practice).
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

jimmer

Postby jimmer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:08 pm

To answer UrbanHermit's query, Metcalfe provide a template for a ramp with the kit. They suggest a length of 36cm in total running up to the coaling stage. Hope this is some help. :)

gromit54

Postby gromit54 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:09 am

I found that 36" looked a bit odd so I made mine 48".
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 am

Belated thanks, Jimmer, for your answer. My original post having gone for a week with no reply, I'd given up expecting one and hadn't checked back.

I haven't room for a ramp of that length. I was more or less expecting this, which is why I asked the question rather than rush into buying one only to find it wouldn't fit. I like Metcalfe models, but in this case I shall have to search around for an alternative coal stage, one without a raised track. Anybody got any suggestions?
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 am

Any chance that you could position the ramp so that it disappeared behind the shed or other large structure. A couple of wagons at the top one part empty another full would look more realistic than a loco shoving a loaded wagon up the slope, then bringing it back still full. :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue May 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi
The original Hornby (Skaledale) Coal Drop also needs a ramp to lead up to the staging area.
The Hornby Coaling stage is at ground level, but perhaps needs a crane added too? http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/skaledale/r8587_coal_stage.htm
The alternative and rather expensive option is the Hornby or Bachmann coaling tower. Hornby Coaling Tower or Bachmann Coaling Tower
Or build one from a Superquick A12 card kit or the Townstreet cast kit. See adverts on model railway magazines for information of Townstreet kits.
Superquick A12 Coaling Tower
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

rob1468

Postby rob1468 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:58 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread and probably too late but faller do a complete coaling stage
see image

I have built one of these although they are plastic (airfix model type ) it is a brilliant piece of kit the crane revolves around the top and you could even put pva on the hopper tops and put realistic coal on top which im going to do , but on the down side its quite large in area as the hole thing is on wheels and runs up and down its own track in real life
see more info here http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=FA222137&style=main&strType=Faller&Mcode=Faller%20222137
I got mine chaper of ebay brand new i think someone bought it and thought wow as there are so many pieces probably frightened them , im old hand at airfix and used to enjoy building them so was a dodle
cheers rob

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun May 23, 2010 11:26 am

I love the faller kits they are an absolute pleasure to build and always fit together with little or no fettling.

I keep looking at that kit but sadly my layout is more leaning towards wood transport and processing

There is this tho
http://www.nscale-sale.nl/Webshop/index ... uctID=1921

or this
http://www.nscale-sale.nl/Webshop/index ... ductID=655
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Have a look at my post on rmweb, this was under 'Metcalfe Engine Shed' or Beeman postings. the pics posted will give you some idea of the space reqd. I would think the 'design' of the coaling stage was more LMS/Midland, I recollect that in my youth the one at Coalville Leicestershire 17C. was very similar, and well remember being on the public footbridge looking over the t/t to the c/stage, just wish I could have taken pics/vids then. Like so many things that disappear with time. Beeman
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”