Another Beyer Garratt Thread.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
glegalee

Another Beyer Garratt Thread.

Post by glegalee »

I have been offered the chance to buy a Beyer Garratt white metal kit produced by N C Keyser Ltd or "K's" as they were better known. The kit has been started but only some work on the supplied chassis's has been done. I have also been told by the seller that replacing the supplied chassis's with some produced by Comet Models for a Crab would be a good idea because they have valve gear on them that is more true to the actual engine.

Has any one got any usefull information that would help me when I take this project on? Anything at all that you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers G.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage
glegalee

Re: Another Beyer Garratt Thread.

Post by glegalee »

Picked the kit up today, It looks like I misunderstood the chap on a couple of things that I previously posted. The kit has not been started at all so it's all down to me, and He said that I should not use a Crab chassis because the valve gear is at the wrong angle and would not be correct for the Garratt.

Still looking for any information available that any one may have that could help me.

Cheers G.
ImageImageImage
Vigo
Location: About 300 yards away from the old Woodhead line. Royston Vasey, Derbyshire

Post by Vigo »

Bachmann Southern N Class 2-6-0's are a more or less perfect match to the original loco drawings. That's what I made mine from. Crabs have the correct 8' and 8'6" wheel spacings but as you say, the cylinder/valve gear is all wrong.

Assuming this is the LMS not the LNER one
Happily spending most of my spare time in the garage with my trains and a glass of Spain's finest :D
glegalee

Post by glegalee »

Thanks for that, It is the LMS one. I have decided to have a bash at making the origional chassis's seens as I have them and there's no harm in seeing how they turn out before I spend gawd knows how much on a pair from another manufacturer. I think that I'll replace the wheels that I was given with the kit as it has been stood around in a damp loft for many many years and they are not in the best condition. Here is a pic of the progress so far.

More as soon as I do it.

Cheers G.
ImageImageImage
6C

Post by 6C »

Excellent - you don't see many of the K's version.....

How are you going to motorise ?
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
glegalee

Post by glegalee »

I have been told that the DS10 motor with a 60:1 gearbox would be suffice. Only thing is that I am worried that the 60:1 will be too slow. I have 2 sets of gears that are that ratio so I will try them and see what I think, if it seems to slow I'll put a lesser ratio in.

Any ideas where I can ger Bachmann spares from? I want 2 sets of N Class wheels and maybe axels too.

Cheers G.
ImageImageImage
Vigo
Location: About 300 yards away from the old Woodhead line. Royston Vasey, Derbyshire

Post by Vigo »

Bachmann themselves maybe? They gave me a good price for Crab ponies a couple of weeks ago. Or maybe the auld enemy, Fleabay.... If I remember right, the 2 Southern N's I got only cane to about 40 quid or so.
Happily spending most of my spare time in the garage with my trains and a glass of Spain's finest :D
glegalee

Post by glegalee »

Are there no spares dealers then? Hornby have many dealers of spares. Or is that because Hornby products are more prone to braking and Bachmann are built to last? I'll give them a tinkle on the ol blower and see what they can do, and as for ebay, I have been looking but they are quite expensive, plus I know that if I buy a complete loco as a donor I'll end up not wanting to take it appart just like I did before when I bought a 28xx.
ImageImageImage
tinsleytmd

Post by tinsleytmd »

For any spares you might want for the kit try sherwood models they do the nucast range & i'm almost certain that the k's range became nucast. Those wheels you have their shouldnt be to much of a problam if you use a fibreglass burnishing brush it will clean them up nicely. They are the old romford now markits range & should have nickel silver tyres on them which shouldnt be to much of a problam to clean up. I myself was pondering a nucast garrett but not at the moment i have more north eastern kits too do firstly.

Simon.
glegalee

Post by glegalee »

Thanks for that information tinsleytmd, That has given me some new leads on where I may find more help.

Much appreciated. G.
ImageImageImage
Vigo

Post by Vigo »

Any progress reports on this build yet?
glegalee

Post by glegalee »

Not yet, Still have to get some Low melt solder and a cooler iron. Will post more once I have made some progress.

Cheers G.
ImageImageImage