Atso's May/June 2018 Competition Entry

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: Atso's May/June 2018 Competition Entry

Postby Atso » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks guys,

PNP, the sleeper spacing on the turnout is way out. As it is only intended for the fiddle yard, I tried to use as few sleepers as possible while retaining some strength.

A bit more progress on the V1 tonight. I do like how the model starts to come to life when the fittings start to be added. :)

Still plenty to do!
Steve

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Atso wrote:PNP, the sleeper spacing on the turnout is way out. As it is only intended for the fiddle yard, I tried to use as few sleepers as possible while retaining some strength.

Yes of course! But Peco track always looks to have the sleepers too clolse together to my eyes...

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Yes of course! But Peco track always looks to have the sleepers too clolse together to my eyes...[/quote]

I agree but didn't realise just how wrong it looked until relatively recently.

Some more work has been done on 2911.

Buffer beam decals have been applied (just about visible in the picture), the brass work has been picked out and some vacuum pipes made out of guitar string and handrail knobs. The vacuum pipes have just been painted and will be added to 2911 once dry.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 pm

2911 has gained a crew.

These are just some cheap generic figures that I got from China several years ago. There not the greatest figures ever but they'll be fine living in the cab area. They came unpainted so I roughly painted them using Vallejo paints. Hopefully 2911 will gain a floor over the next couple of days so the crew can have a new home!
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 pm

I forgot to add my latest efforts on the track building front. These were posted earlier on another part of the forum but, as they form part of my competition entry, I feel a mention should be made here as well.

The double slip is probably the most complex individual item of track I will need for the fiddle yard (although there are some hefty formations planned) so it seemed a good idea (always debatable) to try that as my third soldered track project. The prototype as pictured did work but the test wagon wasn't as smooth as I would like. Therefore I remade the blades, ensuring a got a longer and finer point which has improved matters somewhat. I think a modest redesign will be necessary before I build the fiddle yard versions but I'm very happy with how this budding skill has developed over the last five or six days (from never having attempted soldered track before).

I think that I've proven to myself that scratch building the track for the fiddle yard is very much a viable, if time consuming, proposition. Therefore I think this will conclude this particular part of my entry. I've still got the V1 to finish and I've not even looked at the outstanding CADs since the competition started! :shock:
Steve

Robmag

Postby Robmag » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 am

Mountain wrote:Wear safety glasses for this... I used a minidrill and a carbodium type cutting disk. I cut half way through the sleeper and then snap them off, but there again, my sleepers are thick. I guess one has to cut right through if one wants thin sleepers. The ideal tool would be a mini bench saw. I dont have one of those.

Sorry, but was is a carbodium cutting disk ?

Rob.

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Sorry, but was is a carbodium cutting disk ?

Just a cutting disk, Carbodium is a brand, they make all sorts, including cutting disks and grinding tools. Belgian I believe...

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am

Its a small thin grinding type disc. It is some sort of thin stone like material. For safety reasons, though they work fine as I've done it, dont use a thin metal cutting disc as one slip and its fingers off time! Is why I stopped using the thin metal discs I had in the set. They cut through metal track so quick it frightened me!
The normal way is the carbdium type of disc which can shatter (Hence the glasses) but are generally safer, as they take longer to cut. Dont apply too much pressure and try to prevent the disc from twisting. If the discs shatter too easily as I did have some very thin ones once, mount two on the mandrill instead. This gives them a little strength.
The last set I bought had lots of the discs which were a little thicker so they last longer. The thicker type are somewhere around half a mm or slightly wider then that. Just under a mm. (Going by memory).
You probably will end up shattering the odd disc. Dont worry, its all part of the fun of learning. (Just dont forget the safety glasses as the bits fly off at great speed :shock: ). Its why they are normally sold in small packs. The last time I bought them they were many in a tube and they came with a complete set of minidrill etc.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Well 2911 has had a coat of matt varnish and glazing and coal applied (but not yet dry!).

Steve

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:22 am

Wow, the loco looks extremely good 8) and of course the coin shows how incredibly small N gauge is!
What is left to do now - e.g. I can't tell from the photo if the crew are installed yet or not . . . ?

Atso

Postby Atso » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:30 am

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Wow, the loco looks extremely good 8) and of course the coin shows how incredibly small N gauge is!
What is left to do now - e.g. I can't tell from the photo if the crew are installed yet or not . . . ?

Thanks PNP! :)

There is a crew in there but the camera hasn't picked them up! Here they are taken before the loco was matt varnished.

They're just a couple of cheap (and nasty) figures purchased in bulk from China that I roughly painted up. The fact that the quality isn't great doesn't matter as you can barely see them in the cab - but it does show that someone (or something!) is in there.

Final touches will include weathering but, as this won't happen for awhile yet, I'm not including that as part of the competition build.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:46 pm

I've just noticed that my previous post is effectively a repeat of an earlier post on this page!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Anyway, some more pictures of the N gauge V1.

and one last picture with the flash on to prove that there is a crew in the cab!

One this that I really should sort out (other than a couple of wobbles in the lining) is the cylinders as there should only be one red line at each end. I'll have a go at painting the surplus lines out at some point - maybe even before the end of the competition!
Steve

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Wow. The lining you do in such a small scale is brilliant. Well done indeed!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Mountain wrote:Wow. The lining you do in such a small scale is brilliant. Well done indeed!

Thanks Mountain, they are really cruel close ups that show off every wobble (more so than my magnifying glass!) though. :shock:
Steve

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Mind boggling skill at that scale!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”