Lysander's 2018 competition entry

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Lysander

Lysander's 2018 competition entry

Postby Lysander » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:55 am

I recently acquired three Keyser LNWR 6-wheel coach kits. I had been trying to get some for the best part of a decade but they are the scarcest of the Keyser coach kits, do not arise that frequently on eBay and when they do, they can be unrealistically expensive. I was extremely fortunate to be given some by an RMWebber however, an exceptionally generous gesture which simply required in return a donation to a charity of my choice. I'm still staggered by that person's kindness.

Later releases of the kits [the ones I'm building are earlier ones] frequently suffer from worn moulds and show considerable distortion. The photo below shows what I mean. I bit the bullet on this eBay sale and paid £23 for it. The price on the card [19/10] dates it from the mid-60's. The body sides show both bad distortion at the ends and also on the chassis frames. In both cases this will be extremely difficult to resolve. A recent attempt to straighten the frames and clean out the flashing / webbing around the springs resulted in everything just falling apart, the metal being too weak. I cut the frames away entirely and will use a Ratio four-wheel chassis to rebuild it at some time in the future. These models look simple: they can be extremely challenging however, in spite of their limited number of parts. And getting the 'chassis' to sit squarely is another matter altogether!

The kits, each of the three different models introduced by Keyser in the late '50s at 18/- each [and these are probably from then], arrived partly assembled and although bent, battered and partially primed, complete. Steeping them in caustic soda for half an hour removed both glue and undercoat and very little fettling was needed to restore their shape. A little dressing with a file was all that was required. A good start. This is the sort of condition that the three arrived in [after the sides were bent back into shape] and, below, what they looked like, typically, after dismantling and cleaning. The first photo is an All-Third and the second the Full Brake. The Brake has had the guard cut away from one side as Keyser moulded him looking out of both windows simultaneously!

The roof lights on the Brake are extremely prominent and will require glazing. That's going to need some thought.....

All of the coaches were fitted with really quite nice metal Mansell-type wheels: too good to bin. These were Keyser originals, the riveted Mansell inserts being just that, metal disks which could be attached or not. The wheels needed stripping of paint also and the axles will be given pin-points in due course by inserting them into a mini-drill and filing them into a point [they are blunt, very much the style of the time]. Whether the centre wheel-sets remain flanged is yet to be decided. Floors, glazing and interior partitions will also be required.

I do not intend building all three within the competition timescale, just one certainly and possibly two if time permits. The first one will be the attractive Full Brake. It, like the others, will run in a slightly stylised late-30's / early-40's LMS livery. The final photo shows one of the sides given a test paint and lining. The paint is Rover Damask Red [Halfords rattle-can] and the lining is by Pressfix. This is a test livery only and it will change slightly. I may - may - also decide to line with a bow pen as it is far easier than stringing out fine and fragile lining in a straight line [even though it looks quite reasonable I think]. Excuse the dust and gluey residue on the decals - it has since been removed.

So, this is where I'm starting from, but don't expect anything more for a while!!!

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

End2end

Re: Lysander's 2018 competition entry

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm

That livery looks sumptuous! :mrgreen:
Looking forward to seeing them come together.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am

Thanks for that. The problem with building these coaches is that the relative scarcity of the models means that there are almost no photographs at all of them on line. One or two in LNWR livery and that’s it. Had these 6 wheelers survived in use in the ‘40s, they wouldn’t even have seen use on secondary services, they would have been relegated to miners’ or engineers’ trains most probably and so were unlikely to have been repainted at any time during the previous 20 years. The livery I’m using is thus somewhat speculative and based on an assumption that some were still earning revenue on branch or unimportant suburban lines. Rule One allows absolute licence!!!!

Tony

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:47 am

So much in kit building is about problem solving. I had not intended touching the roof of the Brake for a while but the issue of glazing just niggled away. Finishing the model was never going to be dependant on glazing the sky-lights, but every attempt had to be made to at least try to glaze them neatly as they are such a visible feature and gaping empty holes would just look awful [see the earlier photo].

Before commencing, I primed the roof and then sprayed it with Halford's Matt Black, then masking up the top to spray below the rain strips with Grey Primer again.

Glazing from underneath was not an option as the 'glass' would lie at least 2mm below the top of the roof. I tried flush-glazing, cutting inserts to fit within the frame, but was defeated by the different sizes of each of the four frames and no idea as to how to glue them in anyway. But then I realised that the openings could quite effectively be flush-glazed from above. This was the easiest option and four pieces of shirt-box type thin perspex were cut, bent in half at about 30 degrees and then finally trimmed to fit the upper openings. Each was then glued into place using Johnson's 'Klear' and allowed to dry before a frame was drawn around each one, in matt black paint, with a bow pen.

A good result I think. But is all of this just providing a distraction from lining the second side? I think it may be.....!

Tony

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:47 pm

A nice result there Tony.

White metal rolling stock kits have too many problems to solve for
me to even try one.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”