PNP's 2018 Competition Entry - "O-16.5 Bachmann Porter Conversion"

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
PinkNosedPenguin

PNP's 2018 Competition Entry - "O-16.5 Bachmann Porter Conversion"

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm

This is my starting position post 8)

I have acquired a Bachmann 0-4-0 Porter from the USA - it was only $60 (new) with decoder fitted (although shipping and customs/vat pushed the price up somewhat). It looks very good - though VERY American of course:
ImageIMG_8442 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I described the improvement in running I got from replacing the factory-fitted decoder elsewhere but this entry is to Anglicise the loco, and to this end I have purchased a 3D printed replacement cab from CWRailways and some parts from Smallbrook Studios. With these and some plasticard, lets see what I can do! Watch this space...

PinkNosedPenguin

Re: PNP's 2018 Competition Entry - "O-16.5 Bachmann Porter Conversion"

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 pm

I have started butchering the Porter :D

First I removed the foreign-looking horizontal steps from front and rear buffers. Wow the metal was hard to cut! My poor little cordless Dremel really struggled - must get some better cutting discs for it. Anyway, rear buffer now looks like this:
ImageIMG_8446 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I also removed the heavy metal saddle tank from the loco (attached by 4 screws) and removed the bell. More hard metal to file down:
ImageIMG_8450 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then looked at the parts I had purchased. First the 3D printed cabin from C.W.Railways. Having discussed with the proprietor Tim, it became clear that his cab was longer than mine and intended for the 0-4-2 Porter :?. We agreed the cab looked a bit over-sized for a British locomotive, so Tim was most helpful and offered to shrink the length to my dimensions. The wonders of 3D printing! Here are the parts as supplied - and yes the length fits my loco:
ImageIMG_8448 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I have also purchased a chimney and smokebox door with dart from Smallbrook Studios:
ImageIMG_8449 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I am now proceeding to construct the cab . . .

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”