Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Postby Atso » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 am

whynot wrote:I know very little about 3D printing, but enough to say that this is very fine (in both senses) workmanship. Given the scale - remarkable. Good luck with your health issue.

Thank you very much for your kind words. A bit of a marathon but I've gotten Yorkshire to run now! She still needs some tweaking to get her running 100% sweetly but it'll be good enough for the moment.

I'm off up to Pickering now and both Yorkshire and 2425 will be coming with me to show to a couple of friends up there. If I'm very lucky, they might even let them run for a bit! :D
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Yorkshire and 2425 made it up to Pickering with me and got some running rights on the North of England Line (NoEL) layout. Unfortunately Yorkshire shed a screw holding the drawbar to the tender and had to be withdrawn - although to screw was recovered and has been put back since getting home. However the little 4-4-0 proved its worth before that by handling eight old Farish Pullman cars (not the most free running of vehicles) with ease!

Both locomotives also gained Tony Wrights attention and I am grateful to him for both photographing the models and allowing me to share them. I'm also very grateful to the team behind NoEL for letting me run the locos and providing the backdrop to Tony's wonderful photographs.

Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Another locomotive almost ready to enter service today. I just need to sort out why the body is sitting a little high and then hopefully it is off to a new home tomorrow (actually I want to keep it!). I hope that it's new owner likes it...

Sorry for the not so great lighting conditions - it is chucking it down over here!
Steve

Atso

Re: Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Postby Atso » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 am

Something very different from my usual LNER locomotives. Below as the test print for an American PRR E6 Atlantic.

This has been designed and printed for my good friends from Holland, Hans and Marc Starmans of N-Stars. This is my contribution to their project to produce a few E6's but I've still got the bell to redesign as it didn't survive the printing process. As my own printer is currently out of action, I printed this using Shapeways. Any further questions about the locomotive should be directed to Hans and Marc as I know very little about the locomotive past the drawings and notes they supplied for me to design it.
Steve

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:46 am

Steve,
you certainly excelled yourself once more. Each new project seemingly is better than the previous, although given the overall high quality of your work output, that is certainly impressive.

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:29 am

GWR_fan wrote:Steve,
you certainly excelled yourself once more. Each new project seemingly is better than the previous, although given the overall high quality of your work output, that is certainly impressive.

Thank you. In this case, as I did not know the prototype at all, I was helped immensely by the quality of the drawings, photographs and additional notes supplied by Hans and Marc as well as some additional communications between us to help clarify matters. The E6 probably represents the most complex locomotive body I've successfully designed to date (definitely the largest file!). I say successfully as the creation of bodies for a P2 and streamlined B17 have so far eluded me and would probably at least be on a par with the E6 in terms of complexity should I ever manage to figure out how to render them properly - I could simplify things to get a kind of representation but that isn't my nature...
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:21 pm

A bit of a quick and dirty modification of one of my earlier designs the K3.

Now adapted to represent a K3/1 with GNR cab in around mid 1930's condition. Besides the GNR cab, I've also converted the K3 to right hand drive but have yet to discover if the boiler fittings had been replaced with 'standard' K3 ones by this point. I've retained the cut outs on the bufferbeam every picture I've seen of the original ten K3s in the Thirties have this feature. The loco will end up being paired with an LNER flared tender as they all appear to have lost their GNR ones by this point. All had been rebuilt with side window cabs by nationalisation.

Something to add to my list of things to print once the final part to service my printer finally arrives!
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 pm

The initial stages of yet another CAD of a locomotive body - still a long way to go with this one and it's been on my to do list for ages!

Steve

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”