Exhibition Venues

Flag up Exhibitions and Events in your area, or that others may not hear about.
b308

Re: Exhibition Venues

Post by b308 »

PenninceMC, I can't speak about Hull's lighting, you will need to refer to Dave regarding that as I was responding to his comment... However as far as "known issues" are concerned I'd simply refer you to Warley where the hall lighting is a "known issue"! Luckily everyone is aware of it so can take preventative measures, but that isn't always the case if you get invited to a show on the other side of the country where you hadn't been before (as Hull would have been to me)... I feel it's only fair that if the lighting isn't very good (i.e. Warley) then the exhibitor should be made aware of it.

BS, I appreciate that lighting (built in or separate) is a good idea but for me to have it with SB I'd have to hire a van as it wouldn't fit in my car. I can do a few spots but not a "rig" but all I'd ask is that I'm told beforehand so I can prepare... Or even decline the invitation...

Surely that's not too much to ask, after all I'm the one giving my time free of charge as it is!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

No not at all, It's just latent showmanship on my part, I always "manage to make a production of it," Long before we could get hold of lasers I was bouncing pencil beam spots of silvered mylar sheet stretched across the front of the bass drum and the speaker cones in the PA stack to get synchronised visual effects. I can dream of a presentation I'd like to do with the trains at the heart of it, but there's simply too much else that I want to do whilst I can.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

Can you make me a lightweight and easily stored rig please... ;) :lol:
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

b308 wrote: BS, I appreciate that lighting (built in or separate) is a good idea but for me to have it with SB I'd have to hire a van as it wouldn't fit in my car. I can do a few spots but not a "rig" but all I'd ask is that I'm told beforehand so I can prepare... Or even decline the invitation...

Surely that's not too much to ask, after all I'm the one giving my time free of charge as it is!
I should also have said, the private layouts I mentioned have or do fit into private cars, no van required. The lighting is usually built into a lightweight pelmet that spans the scenic portion of the layout, and sits on top of it when packed into the motor. Focus hatch, Astra estate, Toyota Carina and Mk1 Vectra are a few of the vehicles that have been involved, nothing I'd call massive. So to use your own maxim, 'it can be done' :)

TBPH if this really is such a make or break factor for you, I'd suggest you should be asking a specific question of the organiser, rather than waiting to be told and ending up disappointed. Yes you're giving up your time (as we all do on the circuit), but communication is surely a two way process.
b308

Post by b308 »

I've already learned that I have to do that and ask the question, as it was Hull was ruled out due to other commitments but I would have asked, rest assured...

My current layout (South Bohemia) is a tight squeeze into the car, four boards fills the boot completely and the rest of the space is taken up with the legs, etc. Rest assured an 11ft pelmet wouldn't fit!! I have seen shorter pelmets which may work though the ones I have seen that do not cover the whole layout don't seem to do any better job than a few spots at each end and in the middle... If you have a small layout then it can be done, I agree, but I wanted a slightly bigger one!

I have seen some people arrive with every inch of space in the car taken up, but I wouldn't like to be in that car in an accident with all that junk flying around... It's OK packing up to the roof line but in an accident that is downright dangerous and something I just wouldn't do, vans have dividers between the load area and seats for a good reason...

BTW "A Taste of Alber" is my new one and only 6ft long (two 6'x2'6" boards) but i have the same space issue as it's designed to be carried in the car together with a folding wheelchair and two other adults so i can take my wife out for the day with our daughter... Two spots at either end should be OK for that one, though, but again a pelmet wouldn't fit in the car!

When you start exhibiting as a private individual rather than a club you find that restrictions come thick and fast... The main one is what size you next car is, I went from an Astra to a Vectra once without checking properly and found that the larger car had a smaller boot (both estates)! You couldn't make it up!! ;)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

b308 wrote:Can you make me a lightweight and easily stored rig please... ;) :lol:
If I had the time to put to that I'd already be building my exhibition layout.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Lighting is but a mere incidental in the overall question.
A hall that a group can afford, in the location they require, of the correct size
and layout are to me the only considerations. Even dare I say it, parking is more
important than hall lighting.
If I were showing something professionally where there were returns for me I'd
look at providing my own supporting facilities. If that were the key to all model
railway shows we would have very few. One may dream of perfection, but it's just
that, a dream.

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Lighting is just a consideration, the only thing that I'd say is check samples of your various paints under as many lighting conditions as you can. A close match under fluorescent lighting can be glaringly different under natural light. As has been said it may not be that easy to find out about the lighting conditions you will meet, but it's something for exhibition managers to check out. If you want control there's little you can do other than take it in your own hands.
David Bigcheeseplant

Post by David Bigcheeseplant »

Railex 2017 in a few weeks time 27 & 28 May 2017 http://www.railex.org.uk is held in Aylesbury and the show is at Stoke Mandeville Stadium which has really fantastic lighting, if you go to the web page and then look at photos from the previous year you will see what I mean.

Also we are running a free vintage bus service from Aylesbury railway station car park to and from Railex both days.

David
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

b308 wrote:...
. Rest assured an 11ft pelmet wouldn't fit!! I have seen shorter pelmets which may work though the ones I have seen that do not cover the whole layout don't seem to do any better job than a few spots at each end and in the middle... If you have a small layout then it can be done, I agree, but I wanted a slightly bigger one!

)
Well, you wouldn't build an 11 foot one in just the one piece :) OTTOMH I cant recall what the longest scenic section is amongst the layouts I was talking about, but it must be getting on for that sort of figure. But anyway, I've said enough on this particular subject.
Dave wrote:Yes I said that. If you refer back to my OP it was in response to a criticism of lighting at another venue, and is specifically aimed at the lighting in the Sports stadium, which is obviously outside the control of Hull MRS.

Not a problem Dave, fully appreciated.