Model Rail Scotland 2020

Flag up Exhibitions and Events in your area, or that others may not hear about.
Ex-Pat

Model Rail Scotland 2020

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 pm

I am delighted to see that my favourite exhibition layout, Alloa, is scheduled to appear at Model Rail Scotland on Friday 21st, Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd February 2020.

https://modelrail-scotland.co.uk/ex2020layouts.html

(See you there on the Saturday Jim?)

luckymucklebackit

Re: Model Rail Scotland 2020

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am

Sorry Ex-Pat, need to go on the Friday, promise I won't hoover up all the bargains. (Very short shopping list this year) :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:22 am

Well that is Model Rail Scotland over with for another year, I braved the wind and rain on Friday to make my annual pilgrimage and I was not disappointed. Stand out for me was Hornsey Broadway, I had seen this layout on-line and it was even better "in the flesh", the layout oozed atmosphere and just had that "X-factor". The other two big guest layouts that had been much hyped up on RMweb slightly missed the mark for me, "Spirit of Shap" was a great concept but you really would have had to stand at the layout for a considerable period of time to fully appreciate the locomotives and stock that were running, and the bulk of the layout was after all just two tracks passing through the countryside. The Bridge at Remagen was another that I had been looking forward to seeing but this one seemed to be beset by derailments, perhaps would have been better later in the weekend. Of the local layouts I was very impressed by "Hallside" very closely based on Newton station and set in the recent past. To be honest I dont think that there were any poor displays and it made for a very enjoyable day. The pocket did get hit with a couple of books, some cork underlay and ballast (getting prepared!) - oh yes and this years "how do I sneak this past the wife entry" was D6114, Dapol class 29 in green. Met up with a couple of my old mates from Cumbernauld MRC as well whihc was nice.
Looking forward to next year already!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 am

Very much agree about Hornsey Broadway - it's a masterpiece of multi-level planning, as borne out by the first shot below - I never imagined a diesel layout would capture my attention for so long - hope it's at Warley in November (they'd probably have to enforce crowd control measures!).

P1090436.JPG
Overall perspective of routes

P1090434.JPG
The TMD, which is sited at the far right hand side of the layout (roughly alongside from where I took the previous shot).

Agree about Shap too - I cheat, and just take a good look at what's in the fiddle yard.

Remagen worked ok whilst I watched it on Saturday.

Most time spent watching Alloa (as usual), and for the first time ever not a penny spent!

Didn't seem as crowded as usual - probably the weather - a fairly "hairy" landing at GLA, followed by a walk out to SECC alongside the choppiest I have ever seen the Clyde, and then snow at lunchtime - as you once said to manna Jim - "barbie" weather in Scotland.

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Amazing. Everything but the rain on those layouts.
Nessie rocks!

jane477

Postby jane477 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:46 pm

Very much agree about Hornsey Broadway - it's a masterpiece of multi-level planning, as borne out by the first shot below - I never imagined a diesel layout would capture my attention for so long - hope it's at Warley in November (they'd probably have to enforce crowd control measures!).

Agree about Shap too - I cheat, and just take a good look at what's in the fiddle yard.

Remagen worked ok whilst I watched it on Saturday.

Most time spent watching Alloa (as usual), and for the first time ever not a penny spent!

Didn't seem as crowded as usual - probably the weather - a fairly "hairy" landing at GLA, followed by a walk out to SECC alongside the choppiest I have ever seen the Clyde, and then snow at lunchtime - as you once said to manna Jim - "barbie" weather in Scotland.

Completely agree with you, this thing looks gorgeous
All info about my work you could find here https://admission-writer.com/blog/georgetown-essay-prompts I work as an author

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:41 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Well that is Model Rail Scotland over with for another year, I braved the wind and rain on Friday to make my annual pilgrimage and I was not disappointed. Stand out for me was Hornsey Broadway, I had seen this layout on-line and it was even better "in the flesh", the layout oozed atmosphere and just had that "X-factor". The other two big guest layouts that had been much hyped up on RMweb slightly missed the mark for me, "Spirit of Shap" was a great concept but you really would have had to stand at the layout for a considerable period of time to fully appreciate the locomotives and stock that were running, and the bulk of the layout was after all just two tracks passing through the countryside. The Bridge at Remagen was another that I had been looking forward to seeing but this one seemed to be beset by derailments, perhaps would have been better later in the weekend. Of the local layouts I was very impressed by "Hallside" very closely based on Newton station and set in the recent past. To be honest I dont think that there were any poor displays and it made for a very enjoyable day. The pocket did get hit with a couple of books, some cork underlay and ballast (getting prepared!) - oh yes and this years "how do I sneak this past the wife entry" was D6114, Dapol class 29 in green. Met up with a couple of my old mates from Cumbernauld MRC as well whihc was nice.
Looking forward to next year already!

Jim

Unfortunately Coronavirus has put paid to the 2021 exhibition, the SEC will still be supporting the NHS with the temporary emergency hospital being kept in case of the possibility of a second wave and also to provide a facility for catch up on other services that had been put on hold for the duration.

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:17 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:

Unfortunately Coronavirus has put paid to the 2021 exhibition, the SEC will still be supporting the NHS with the temporary emergency hospital being kept in case of the possibility of a second wave and also to provide a facility for catch up on other services that had been put on hold for the duration.

Jim

Slightly better news Jim - latest issue of the North British Railway Study Group journal mentions, quote " the association is investigating the possibility of holding a virtual exhibition at the end of February".

I'd be perfectly happy with just a webcam on the Alloa layout!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:37 am

Ex-Pat wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:

Jim

Slightly better news Jim - latest issue of the North British Railway Study Group journal mentions, quote " the association is investigating the possibility of holding a virtual exhibition at the end of February".

I'd be perfectly happy with just a webcam on the Alloa layout!

That is a bit of good news, wonder if they have been swayed by other successful virtual events, as I posted somewhere a couple of months ago asking if they were thinking of an on-line event and was told that they had no plans for anything! Not quite the same though, will need to keep my cash hopefully for later on in the year for a "real" Ayr MRC event!

Jim

Return to “Exhibitions and Events”