Polystyrene cliffs?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Monday

Polystyrene cliffs?

Post by Monday »

Looking to create near vertical cliffs where there is no room for a hillside. I rough cut 3 or 4 layers of 25mm polystyrene, topped it with some grass mat and the rough polystyrene looked good as a chalk cliff. But the surface will crumble if I leave it and won’t take paint very well. What can I best protect the surface with? Matt varnish, lacquer? I am a bit wary of polystyrene since years ago trying to glue layers with some sort of adhesive that dissolved the polystyrene entirely. I watched it just disappear!
Suggestions welcome
GeraldH

Re: Polystyrene cliffs?

Post by GeraldH »

It may not be quite what you were after, but I covered my polystyrene cliffs with polyfilla mixed with powder paint. There are some pictures towards the end of my layout thread.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Its usual to cover Polystyrene once carved to shape with Plaster Bandage, then when set it forms a seriously strong virtually crack free structure that is a fairly light weight covering, which can be painted and have scatters glued on etc
Plaster Bandage is sold by several retailers and perhaps the larger one is Hobbycraft in the UK, £1 per roll https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/plaster-of ... 77665-1000. Cut bandage roll up into smaller manageable sized pieces, soak for a few seconds in water and apply in overlapping layers. Allow at least 24 hours to fully dry then paint etc
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Flashbang wrote:Its usual to cover Polystyrene once carved to shape with Plaster Bandage
I'll second that it's a very useful and cheap scenic material. I have actually used this bandage under the polyfilla and powder paint mix on my extension. Some of my earlier cliffs have the polyfilla mix dabbed directly onto vertical card surfaces.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Phat Controller

Post by Phat Controller »

I have used polystyrene exclusively for walls, and cut escarpments, on my layouts and use water based acrylic poster paints to protect them.

I do, however, cut the styrene on a proper styrene cutter bench. The heat from cutting "seals" it to a degree and I apply the paint liberally over it. This seems to also "seal" it somewhat again, but will NEVER stop it from breaking!
DSC_0534.JPG

This is a sample of walling I have done with the cutter and acrylic paints

Hope it helps
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)
Monday

Post by Monday »

Thanks all. Looks like plaster bandage then. I have a Hobbycraft locally so I can click&collect without needing £20 worth of plaster bandage for free postage! :D
gppsoftware

Post by gppsoftware »

Personally, I wouldn't be using polystyrene as a means of supporting any scenery due to its fix risk and toxicity thereof.

I concur with those who use polyfiller or plaster over some kind of mesh structure. When watercolours are applied, plaster actually creates a very realistic impression of stone or rocks.