Zebra crossing location

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
CandO

Zebra crossing location

Postby CandO » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:26 pm

I'm just about to position my zebra crossing on my corner scene and I'm in two minds over the location. I've put a picture up below and I know where I think it should go but there is maybe also a second possibility. So I'd like the views of others too please! Just comment with the letter of where you would position a zebra crossing on this road :D
NB As the layout is primarily 60's there won't be any zig zags as these weren't used until 1971 :wink:
Attachments
crossing.jpg

Bigmet

Re: Zebra crossing location

Postby Bigmet » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:54 pm

I would place it pretty much at the mid point between B and C. Longest sight lines in both directions, good distance from what I assume is a side turning beside the churchyard gate. Then again practically anywhere is possible, given some of the utterly lousy positioning I have seen over the years!

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:14 pm

On a practical note I'd say B or the same as Bigmet. On an ascetic note could it be used to cover the join at D?
I don't think it would be near A or E as it's basically a junction.
Just throwing it out there...you could always have 2! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

heda

Postby heda » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Not A or E as to close to the junction.
So my first choice is B as it is but if you are planning to put a row of shops along the road maybe C or D. My thinking is where and why would people want to cross, to get to or from a bus stop or station to the shops or church maybe.
Dave

CandO

Postby CandO » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:18 pm

heda wrote:Not A or E as to close to the junction.
So my first choice is B as it is but if you are planning to put a row of shops along the road maybe C or D. My thinking is where and why would people want to cross, to get to or from a bus stop or station to the shops or church maybe.
Dave

No shops but there will probably be a bus stop. Also a War Memorial will be on the opposite side. :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Another vote here for B, I wish the real life planners took so much care about the positioning, we've got some atrocious siting around here. Not just crossings, we have a yellow box junction where you can't obey the rules as it goes so far past the corner that you cant see the exit left until you are well into the box! Caused a bit of embarrasment when some one made the point in court and they had to rescind ten years of fines! The Council God Bless them came up with a solution, they demolished the pub on the corner so you can see the exit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:51 am

Bufferstop wrote:Another vote here for B, I wish the real life planners took so much care about the positioning, we've got some atrocious siting around here. Not just crossings, we have a yellow box junction where you can't obey the rules as it goes so far past the corner that you cant see the exit left until you are well into the box! Caused a bit of embarrasment when some one made the point in court and they had to rescind ten years of fines! The Council God Bless them came up with a solution, they demolished the pub on the corner so you can see the exit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:54 am

I'd go between B & C so that there's plenty of room to see and be seen. Over here in Queensland you can find busy cross roads with pedestrian crossings on all four corners.
Pete.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:29 am

Yes, B or C, the others are too close to a bend or junction.

CandO

Postby CandO » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks everyone for your views :D
I was preferring just right of B to be honest. There will be a bus stop just about at the back end of the bus with another across the road above the D I think.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:19 am

Bufferstop wrote: The Council God Bless them came up with a solution, they demolished the pub on the corner so you can see the exit.

Demolished the pub! :shock: Demolished the pub!. :shock: If ever there was a reason to bringing back hanging this is one.

On a lighter note. Another vote for B. Don't forget the road signs. Perhaps a speed limit.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Going against the flow, I would put it at E. I am not convinced that in your timeline they were too worried about distances from side junctions etc, it would have been placed where the logical footfall is, ie outside the shops.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Frequently in the least favourable position for road traffic.
I wouldn't agonize about it, Stainsacre is probably quite right to put it where foot fall is.
We have a 'T' junction, light controlled so no Zebra. People step out in front of waiting traffic
against a red pedestrian light just as the waiting line of traffic has right of way !!
Suggest they should wait for the green man will probably get you a mouthful of abuse !!

That's Life the way it is !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:16 pm

glencairn wrote:...Demolished the pub! If ever there was a reason to bringing back hanging this is one...

Too lenient. Let's restore 'breaking on the wheel' - seems somewhat appropriate for misbehaviours relating to the road.(Look it up; when still employed the condemned with the wherewithal would reputedly attempt to pay whatever might be required for the sentence to be commuted to hanging.)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:35 pm

D because it is the most visible.

Return to “Scenery”