What glue for making trees?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
minipix

What glue for making trees?

Postby minipix » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 am

I recently took a few cuttings from a box bush, because the little twigs looked remarkably like little trees, and I thought I could use them on my layout. But I'm having trouble getting clump material to stick.

My first attempt was using PVA glue, but it was just too liquid and wouldn't stay on the branches or hold the clump material in place.

My second attempt was using hair spray. I remembered reading that people used cheap hair spray for this, so I got some from Tesco. That had no effect whatsoever, no stickiness at all. Do people actually use hair spray? Or did I remember that wrong?

My third attempt was using a spray glue. After hunting around in the craft cupboard I came across an old can of something called "Stick & Stay", which claims to be a "permanent repositional adhesive". I gave it a go. I came out thick and gloopy, and the clump material stuck to it brilliantly! Instant trees! Woohoo! But the following morning when I came to inspect them, quite a lot of the clump material had dropped off. The branches still felt slightly tacky, but clearly the glue hadn't made a good permanent bond. I'm fine with a few bare areas here and there (I'd claim realism), but my worry is that I'll be constantly picking up bits off my layout.

Below are some photos - two before, and one after.

IMG_20200830_211020986.jpg
IMG_20200830_211051447.jpg
IMG_20200831_104334754.jpg

So what glues do other people use?
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: What glue for making trees?

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 am

Hairspray works well when you're using smaller particles, but as you've found out it's not strong enough for big clumps. I think when I used to use clump foliage for trees I used "stringy glue" something like bostik or equivalent. You have to be careful not to get in a mess with it, but that seemed to do the job.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:40 am

Agree with the above, try using the fine material that you can buy for hanging baskets and spray that stuff with hairspray, then add the clump material but finely crumbed. I used this method with Hydrangea flowers as the basis - method here https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33932&start=240#p631470

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:12 pm

Have a look here, if I can do it anyone can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EccnAonRHgw&t=282s

I was going to post a couple of mine but have forgotten how to upload pictures

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:55 am

I have used 'rubber' based glues like Evostick and its Bostick and 'Tarzan' equivalents. All worked well.

Just a tip with trees: when you look at them, your can usually see a lot of light through them so don't pile the foliage onto a model tree thickly.

Return to “Scenery”