Farm tracks

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
brober

Farm tracks

Postby brober » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Does anyone know where I could get downloadable/ printable sheets for rural farm tracks (stone/gravel rutted with/without grass in centre line)?

Many thanks

stuartp

Re: Farm tracks

Postby stuartp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:46 pm

Not sure anything printed is the best media for this, it's a bit flat to say the least. Textured paint or plaster* painted grey with flock/foam/static grass down the middle is the usual method.

*Whatever you normally use - Modroc, Sculptamould, filler, crumpled newspaper/PVA, whatever.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Printed surfaces really won't work that well.
Do your own, sand is the ideal medium to use. Better if you can collect a few
different colours and 'paint' the surface with streaks of those colours.
Fix using the standard ballast mix of 50/50 PVA and water. I paint on the glue
mix and then using finger and thumb sprinkle over the wet surface.

Grass flock is ideal for the centre of a quiet lane, again use a few different colours.
It's usually about £2 a bag. A thin patch can be turned into a puddle by painting
with gloss varnish.

I assume this is the sort of results you would like.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

brober

Postby brober » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Thanks both. As you suggest it is probably unlikely to find a printed option but I thought I would ask anyway. I was thinking of using fine ballast, shaped as necessary to form ruts and a little sporadic grass on the centre line with maybe a little scatter. I want to simulate both lane and farm access roadways so different textures will be the order of the day with varying amounts of "green".

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi brober,

Getting different textures is the 'art', this is why I have a collection of around 10 different sands.
Every beach has slightly different colours as well as different grain sizes. I also blag the occasional
small jar of builders sands, these just like beaches vary and if you go about it correctly you end
up with a collection like me and all for free.

Note the impression of wheel marks.

Tenerife sand is dark, I get it brought back by friends. Sandown I.O.W also has some dark deposits.
As to ruts make up from smears of filler, paint and then use sprinkled sand. You can tell I love
working with it and living on the coast IS a help.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

brober

Postby brober » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm

I will never travel anywhere now without a jar for sand! BTW, Tenerife is also a source of fine Saharan sand (imported).

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:33 pm

A worthy tip I picked up from Dad-1 a while ago. I now have 8 different sands. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

boxbrownie

Postby boxbrownie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:33 pm

MIG do 250ml pots of textured mud in various colours, primarily for military model scenics but obviously works well for us as well, excellent for muddy tracks.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.

brober

Postby brober » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks David, I will have a look at these.

Bruce

Return to “Scenery”