Scenery

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
glencairn

Scenery

Postby glencairn » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Backscenes

Before I start, this is not THE way to do backscenes. These are mine and the way I have made them. The backscenes I have attempted are mainly to make the layout larger than the 11ft X 8ft that it is. I am not saying they are perfect either; just pleasing to the eye for me when I am at the control area.

'Clarice the Canal Boat'
Liking different forms of transport and being part of 'the canal scene', a pleasure craft was purchased. Not wanting the boat to overpower the layout, a small section was made available next to Wyndham Farm. Wanting to have trees behind the craft, suitable pictures were unavailable. I made my own by cutting out pictures from magazines etc, arranging them into a larger picture and sticking them on the backscene board.

On the right is the pictures of trees stuck to the board

IMG_3054.JPG

The view I want to see from the control area

IMG_3055.JPG

Sovereign Street backscene

At Sovereign Street I want to feel factories close to the station and yard.

The board for the backscene is very close to the building in Sovereign Street Yard

IMG_3057.JPG

Searching for 'the right pictures' took a long time until I found the ones I wanted.

IMG_3060.JPG

There are many faults I know, but I can live with them. It has been great fun to do

If anyone decides to do backscenes this way I am sure they will do a much better job than I have done.

Thanks for looking.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Lancastrian

Re: Scenery

Postby Lancastrian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:56 pm

Firstly, the main thing is it's your layout and as long as you are happy with what you've done that is the main thing. Layouts are for our own enjoyment and I can see that you get plenty of that. I can see nothing wrong with the overall effect, it looks good. I think if you take close ups of many layouts mine included you will find the same as yours, again I say it's the overall effect that's important.

I particularly like the narrow boat (narrowboat) and canal scene, it's well done. :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:48 pm

From the pictures I thought your layout was a lot smaller glencairn. It must be all that detailing. :D

I don't even know where to start with my backscene. I want a Cornish vista with some trees, hills and the sea but It needs to be about 20 feet long. :shock:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

heda

Postby heda » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:06 pm

I agree with Glencairns idea of using pictures of trees from magazines. The view from the control area over the canal is very effective.
My (not yet finished ) backscene consists of downloaded landscaped pictures, cropped and stretched, more than one of the same scene. Also downloaded pictures of hedges and trees, again crop, stretch, resize so the end up various shapes and sizes and stick to the landscape, it would be easy to download pictures of buildings (farm houses, church) reduce the size and stick them on the board to look like buildings in the distance. To add more depth cut the backs off some trees and stick them flat up against the back board.
Even better if you want a particular area, visit and take lots of photo's.
E2E, Google 'Cornish landscape' in images, loads of pictures to download and play with.
Like Glencairn I am no expert but my effort is pleasing to my eye.
Dave

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Thanks for your comments, guys.

'Fifty Shades of Green'

Once again this is not the definitive way to do things -- Far from it. Just some 'food for thought'.

Nature is a wonderful thing. The colours are amazing; albeit Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter. The different greens there are.

Not all grass grows the same length - even the lawn.

Trees are of various colours, even when growing next to each other. Look at the ones in the distance after the rain. Are they almost grey as the mist casts its shadow?

See the different colours of grass. Long thin and wispy, or short and stubby.

Weeds intermingling with wherever they are growing.

We all have different ways on doing scenery and there are some amazing pictures from members. I wish I was as good.

The scenery I do is 'to get an overall effect'. Just don't look too closely. :)

One way I use to get long grass is to buy a small square of artificial grass. Cut a piece to the size of the area to be covered. Then cut the grass to different lengths; keeping some long, others shorter. (Do this outside. It makes a mess indoors :oops: With a fine paint brush paint a little of the grass to represent flowering weeds. Add some bushes etc.

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_2718.jpg

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 pm

Animals

This section is not about horses, cows or sheep or pigs. It's about cats and dogs, birds and other wildlife. They are all around us.

A cat on the fence. A badger and hares in the field.

IMG_3055.JPG

The bird on the fence. What has it seen?

IMG_E2820.JPG

Red Squirrels

IMG_3206.JPG

The bird on the water tower

IMG_3067.jpg

Other wildlife is around the layout thanks to Langley Models and Merit. :) To me it all adds a little more to the scene I want to make.

Thanks for looking

Glencairn

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:45 am

If you are creating a backscene by printing out photos a trick I used to blend the joins, was to flip (mirror) the first sheet so that you know the two edges will match, then blend in the next image. I printed some trees onto matt transparent self adhesive labels (the two labels on one A4) then trimmed them close without having to cut between the branches. I soon discovered the limitations of my computer, had to reduce the dots per inch settings to fit them on the disk, but it gave the pictures a nice "soft focus" effect.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:23 am

Your canal is charming. Having the privilege of a little canal boating in ‘67, I am hoping to wedge a little scene in, and will be studying your efforts, which are most satisfactory.
Nessie rocks!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:59 am

Chops wrote:Your canal is charming. Having the privilege of a little canal boating in ‘67, I am hoping to wedge a little scene in, and will be studying your efforts, which are most satisfactory.

Thanks once again, Chops. It is all to make the layout a little different from the 'norm'.

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Cameos -- A moment in time.

On my layout I try to do little cameos. Things that happen in real life. They have nothing to do with railways, but when the train passes a believable scene is seen. (Says he hopefully. :) )

Watching the trains.
Father and son watching the train.

IMG_3393.JPG

Asking the way Road transport is very big in my life. Before the world of Sat Navs there was always a driver asking the way.

IMG_2732.JPG

Unloading the wagon There is work to be done oblivious to any railway.

IMG_2971.JPG

Checking the wheel on wagon. With Max the guard dog wandering over to see what the problem is.

IMG_3297.JPG

Just a few idea. I am sure you can think of many more that will make your layout more distinctive.

The coal man delivering coal. The window cleaner. Children playing etc. etc. etc.

Happy modelling.

Glencairn

Glencairn

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 am

Cameos, quite excellent. Used a sat nav for the first time this evening. It indicated I was in the middle of a pasture. Delightful. I was in the Army when GPS first came out. Never dreamed it’d be so commonplace. Then again, it was years before I achieved a flip phone. I just picked up this tablet by the corner, this evening and the screen instantly cracked as if thrown over the garden wall. Maybe that’d make a good cameo. Delightful.
Nessie rocks!

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:16 am

Excellent, very interesting thread, Glencairn.

Your landscaping is great and the photos not only beautiful but also really clever.

I like a lot de reflexive approach in your comments.

For sure, I'll follow this thread now on.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.

Return to “Scenery”