Platforms

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
crazypotter

Platforms

Postby crazypotter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi all. I plan to scratch build my own platforms using a foam/insulation board as the base. As for the surface I was considering a poundshop filler, however I have since thought about using sculptamould which I haven't used before. Would be grateful if any of you guys could advise particularly if you have done this yourselves. Many thanks.

stuartp

Re: Platforms

Postby stuartp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Scupltamould is great for uneven surfaces but even decrepit platforms will appear reasonably smooth once scaled down.

Assuming you're not working in a scale larger than 'O' (where texture shows up a bit more) card painted grey, with a bit of pepper or talc dropped into the wet paint is as much relief as you need.

If you were modelling the rutted and churned up entrance to a field Scupltamould would be suitable.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 pm

For a gravel finished platform choose a suitable sheet of abrasive paper. Edge with card and lay individual card slabs for the bit in front of the building.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:41 pm

I have used enamel paint mixed with fine sand in the past. I have also used polyfilla mixed with black powder paint, which I also use for roads. Adding black powder paint means that if the surface is chipped later on, you don't get a glaring white spot.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “Scenery”