Slaters Embossed Plasticard

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
heda

Slaters Embossed Plasticard

Postby heda » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Has anyone used it and what are your thoughts, from the description it looks very thin which is what I'm looking for to clad card built buildings. Also reasonably priced which is a bonus.
Dave

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Slaters Embossed Plasticard

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Yep, pretty much the go to option for embossed plasticard for cladding structures. Nice and thin so easy to work with, but make sure the existing structure is nice and rigid first, and it comes in big sheets too. I've never been particularly satisfied with their roofs though, I tend to use Wills plasticard for that. It comes in much thicker sheets (1-2mm) and the relief is excellent, but the sheets are quite small so some fiddling around is required to make seamless joins.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

heda

Postby heda » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Thanks for that, exactly the reply I was hoping for. I'm looking at brick and paving which looks fine but the roofing didn't look to good to me.
Dave

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 pm

Their roofing slate sheets are quite effective but it's a lots of work laying strips over each other.

june08 008.jpg
built using Slaters Plastikard
Regards
Rob

heda

Postby heda » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:08 pm

Mmm that roof does look good, as the sheets are cheap enough I might try the tiles, do you just cut them into strips and stick them to card, doesn't seem like to much hard work.
Dave

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:25 am

heda wrote:Mmm that roof does look good, as the sheets are cheap enough I might try the tiles, do you just cut them into strips and stick them to card, doesn't seem like to much hard work.
Dave

Correct. Not too much if you can be bothered :)
Regards
Rob

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:48 pm

Well that's something I never thought of doing :roll: I'll try that next time I want a roof. Have you ever looked at something that someone's invented and thought, 'why didn't I think of that.'
Pete.

heda

Postby heda » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Lots of times !
Dave

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 pm

I used their paving on the station platform on my loft layout. It distorted in the heat. It was glued to a piece of plastic as a base so I was rather surprised. I think it needs to be fully covered with adhesive over the whole surface.

heda

Postby heda » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:33 am

My order arrived, I used the paving on a platform using UHU glue, very pleased, it was easy to cut and work with and looks good and the big plus is that you get a big sheet for the price. I'll post some pictures on my layout thread in due course.
Extremes of temperature isn't to much of a problem for me as my layout is in our spare room which is north facing which doesn't get any sun so no extreme heat.
Dave

Return to “Scenery”