A Question of OO Canals, advice please.

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Chops

A Question of OO Canals, advice please.

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 am

A while back I was in search of a decent OO canal, and the prices of the old Skaledale stuff, when it turns up,
is horrific. Someone had kindly mentioned a purveyor of canal images one would download, then print out
upon paper in color, and mount upon a plain cardstock base. I cannot locate that purveyor(s) to save my life.
Anyone? In my youth, Dad was rather fond of boating down UK canals, a most pleasant and memorable experience.
Nessie rocks!

Lancastrian

Re: A Question of OO Canals, advice please.

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 am

Hi I have canals on my layouts, in OO, N and G. I have added some links to my website that may be of help to you.

Please remember that if you put a lock or locks in that one side of the lock, the canal needs to be higher than the other and the gates must open towards the highest side of the canal, it is the pressure of the water that keeps the gates closed. You also need to decide if you want a narrow canal that can only be used with narrow boats or a wide canal that can also cater for barges (wide beam) boats

N scale HERE

OO scale HERE

Langley white metal lock kits, boats etc. HERE

This a picture of a lock that is available in in N but please do not follow this example the top gate is wrong

Mountford Models Ltd.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 am

Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:36 pm

I did take the tour of Foxshaw Gardens, a remarkable endeavor. As it was, the particular purveyor I was
trying to track down was indeed Scalescenes, thank you so very much. My own efforts will be quite less
impressive, but none the less in the spirit of things.
Nessie rocks!

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Chops wrote:I did take the tour of Foxshaw Gardens, a remarkable endeavor. As it was, the particular purveyor I was
trying to track down was indeed Scalescenes, thank you so very much. My own efforts will be quite less
impressive, but none the less in the spirit of things.
Thanks for the compliment.

However you say your efforts will be less impressive, but the important thing is that it is what you want it be, I just have a special interest in canals etc.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I have yet to build mine (I have cast the sides out of herculite from a silicon mould made from a master made of Linka) but I can advise on all the methods I have researched.
The sides can be made from card with paper (stone/brick) covering or from plasticard, quite easily or just sloping embankments, that is the most prevalent construction. Man made sides are only seen at bends (on the outside to stop erosion) or at the approach of locks or loading docks.
The water can be made by simply painting the base with acrylic or poster paint in deep brown, then covered in a thin layer of water, either PVA or gloss varnish or resin can be used. The only real issue is if you want locks, as they require more detailed construction. I think it is a "they have missed a trick" for all the laser cutting companies, that they don't do the wooden gates for us to incorporate into scratch built sides! (someone prove me wrong and give us a link!)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Made from old lock gates for my garden railway staircase locks..

Chops

Postby Chops » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Thank you for the posts. I regret I haven't been on in a while, November
has been a rather busy month, now a little respite in sight, hope to turn
my attention back to this project of the canal. It's a little bit of a contrivance
to work it into this one corner of the layout, but I think I might be
getting there.
Nessie rocks!

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 am

lock in progress.jpg

Well, little by little you get your lunch in Henley. I have rather fond memories of traveling in the locks with Father, who's chief hobby was boating. I tried and tried to work with the excellent Scalescenes paper kit, but it was rather complex for my limited ability, and I took someone's advice and
coughed up the silver for a proper white metal kit that wasn't overly taxing. Now getting the water in will be a trick, but I have had luck using
Clear Gorilla Glue, as it is viscous and sets fairly quickly compared to other commercially available items. I did use some parts of the Scalescenes
kit for the water base and walls. The Toll House was purchased from one Forum or another, if you recognize it, please accept my thanks.
Nessie rocks!

Chops

Nearly finished

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:46 pm

I shall be trying to assemble the Scalescenes paper canal boats, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Again, you fellows who make
card stock buildings that look like the real thing shrunk 87 times down, my hat is off to you. Well, I am going to try.

My latest effort below. I'm not displeased, it takes a lot of trial and error and concentration on my part. I was listening to an
Audiobook of Sir Arthur Canon Doyle Sherlock Holme's mystery, which helped a great deal. I don't think I've ever read Canon Doyle,
and his elegance of style, and the POV of Dr. Watson, late of the Afghan Wars, is really fine stuff.

lock 6.jpg

lock 5.jpg

lock 2.jpg

lock 1.jpg
Nessie rocks!

heda

Postby heda » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:31 am

I like it, it reminds me of New Haw lock on the Basingstoke canal where the water drops and there is a road bridge.
Dave

Chops

Postby Chops » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Thanks, Heda. Pleased to know it resembles something!!! My first attempt at a cardstock canal boat, armed only with a dull pair of scissors and
white glue.

canal boat 3.jpg

canal boat 2.jpg
Nessie rocks!

heda

Postby heda » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 am

Just correcting myself, it is the River Wey, not the Basingstoke canal. The road bridge is a small hump back bridge just enough room for boars to pass underneat, the other side of the bridge is a pub with a pleasant riverside beer garden.
Don't recall ever seeing Nessie there though.
Your canal boat has come out rather well, especially given the tools you worked with.
Dave

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:36 am

Normally narrow locks are connected by broad "pounds" to act as buffers to hold sufficient water to keep the levels constant, and allow passing places, which were more important than just allowing boats to pass. "One up then one down" so that each lockfull of water moves two boats, then passes down to the repeat itself at the lock below, is the most economic way of operating. The narrow staircase flight at Foxfield demonstrates what happens when boats can't pass in-between locks, it has a complicated system of "side pounds" and boats have to move in convoys to minimise water usage.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm

henley grass 2.jpg

henley grass 5 and canal boat.jpg

Regrettably, I sneezed whilst the water was still wet in the canal,
now I have algae and a what appears to be a lily pad.

I am rather charmed by these paper kits available from Scalescenics.
I also model some of the old West, and believe I will use some of
their kits for an expanded version of this micro layout, Harte's Mill,
depicting the first railway line into El Paso in 1881.

Jupiter Harts mill 003.JPG
Jupiter Harts mill 003.JPG (147.55 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Nessie rocks!

Return to “Scenery”