A Question of OO Canals, advice please.

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Chops

A Question of OO Canals, advice please.

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 am

A while back I was in search of a decent OO canal, and the prices of the old Skaledale stuff, when it turns up,
is horrific. Someone had kindly mentioned a purveyor of canal images one would download, then print out
upon paper in color, and mount upon a plain cardstock base. I cannot locate that purveyor(s) to save my life.
Anyone? In my youth, Dad was rather fond of boating down UK canals, a most pleasant and memorable experience.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Lancastrian

Re: A Question of OO Canals, advice please.

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 am

Hi I have canals on my layouts, in OO, N and G. I have added some links to my website that may be of help to you.

Please remember that if you put a lock or locks in that one side of the lock, the canal needs to be higher than the other and the gates must open towards the highest side of the canal, it is the pressure of the water that keeps the gates closed. You also need to decide if you want a narrow canal that can only be used with narrow boats or a wide canal that can also cater for barges (wide beam) boats

N scale HERE

OO scale HERE

Langley white metal lock kits, boats etc. HERE

This a picture of a lock that is available in in N but please do not follow this example the top gate is wrong

Mountford Models Ltd.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 am

Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:36 pm

I did take the tour of Foxshaw Gardens, a remarkable endeavor. As it was, the particular purveyor I was
trying to track down was indeed Scalescenes, thank you so very much. My own efforts will be quite less
impressive, but none the less in the spirit of things.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Chops wrote:I did take the tour of Foxshaw Gardens, a remarkable endeavor. As it was, the particular purveyor I was
trying to track down was indeed Scalescenes, thank you so very much. My own efforts will be quite less
impressive, but none the less in the spirit of things.
Thanks for the compliment.

However you say your efforts will be less impressive, but the important thing is that it is what you want it be, I just have a special interest in canals etc.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I have yet to build mine (I have cast the sides out of herculite from a silicon mould made from a master made of Linka) but I can advise on all the methods I have researched.
The sides can be made from card with paper (stone/brick) covering or from plasticard, quite easily or just sloping embankments, that is the most prevalent construction. Man made sides are only seen at bends (on the outside to stop erosion) or at the approach of locks or loading docks.
The water can be made by simply painting the base with acrylic or poster paint in deep brown, then covered in a thin layer of water, either PVA or gloss varnish or resin can be used. The only real issue is if you want locks, as they require more detailed construction. I think it is a "they have missed a trick" for all the laser cutting companies, that they don't do the wooden gates for us to incorporate into scratch built sides! (someone prove me wrong and give us a link!)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Made from old lock gates for my garden railway staircase locks..

Return to “Scenery”