Air Drying Clay

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
lenht1951

Air Drying Clay

Post by lenht1951 »

I was thinking of giving this a go for use in my goods yard, has anyone tried this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDwMxCL4oU
Emettman

Re: Air Drying Clay

Post by Emettman »

Interesting. I've never "home-made" the stuff.

If lead-time wasn't an issue I'd want to try it, but I'd want to make a small batch to see how it stood up to a bit of time.
Crack resistance, mould resistance, especially compared to commercial material such as DAS (I've got stuff 20 years old in that.)

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The advantage to this is that its cheap. I can see a disadvantage compared to modelling clay in that modelling clay, being clay... has the advantage that if it goes a bit too dry in the packet and starts to crumble one simply adds a small amount of water and works it into the dry bits. Therefore modelling clay like DAS has an advantage.
The material used in the short film is likely to be a material which once it is made, it needs to be used. It is really good to know how to make it. ITF it wasn't for the glue one could eat it! :D
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

You don't have to pay top dollar for the DAS clay, the craft shop "the works" sells it for £4 https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/clay/das-1 ... 0144074105

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
D0260

Post by D0260 »

"The Range" if you have one nearby , do it much cheaper than that , and a big emulsion-bucket full of of 8 big packs of DAS ( Red or Grey ) for about £14 , Less than £2 a block