Spray Glues. What's the difference?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
End2end

Spray Glues. What's the difference?

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

I need to buy some spray glue but I am not sure which to buy.
I have seen different types including these:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multipurpose ... cKnQYMH2Vg
The sale shows 2 types, spray glue and carpet adhesive.

What are the differences between these 2 and others available on the market?
Do they come out like spray paint so I can spray thin coats which is what I need?
Or do they come out like a stringy substance?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dublo

Re: Spray Glues. What's the difference?

Postby Dublo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi
My experience with carpet adhesive is that when sprayed on a light setting the can I have came from Wickes it comes out a bit like silly string. You also need to carry out adequate masking and use in a very well ventilated space. I have also used spray mount and this is a far more pleasant experience.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:18 pm

What's your purpose for it?

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 pm

It is to both harden card and corrugated foil and to stick them together once the foil's been painted.
Yes Dublo the silly string type is the one I need to avoid. :?
I need one that gives more like a misting when it comes out of the can like spray paint.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Dont they sell suitable spray glues in art shops? I have one but so far I've never used it to comment. The can was quite cheap to buy. I think £1.50 (Though it has sat in the drawer for a few years).

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 pm

The 2 I saw in shops recently were over £10. :shock:
And I couldn't be sure if they were the correct ones. Being able to mist the glue on is imperative.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what you've used?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:49 am

I use spray adhesive all the time for Scalescenes kits. Unsure if that's the kind of thing you're after though? Gluing quality paper to card without penetrating the porosity of the paper or affecting the sprayed surface. It will glue other materials too. Pretty sure it would glue foil to cardboard too. The bond formed is strong and placed in a press, airless and seamless.

You have a few source options if that's what you are after. Art shops sell the stuff, as do craft sections in large hardware chains under varying brand names. Not all brands are equal quality, but anything from those two sources are consistent quality and have never let me down. Your call, but for the couple of dollars saved given the time investment on the project, I'd avoid $ shop cheapies. I've trialled them previously out of sheer curiosity and found they're inconsistent. They are cheap for a reason other than distribution and retail outlet.

3M Super 77 Adhesive is absolutely the best and universally available spray adhesive worldwide, but it's hard to source because it's expensive so a lot of places won't stock it. Like all 3M products, 100% dependable it'll do what it says on the tin.

We have a hardware chain here called Bunnings. They stock a brand called Boyle labelled simply SPRAY ADHESIVE. It's similar to the art shop stuff, albeit marginally more aggressive. Used per directions for the material, it will stick just about anything. Another brand commonly carried here by art stores is Micador, also labelled SPRAY ADHESIVE. It is ACID FREE, superior for use on art paper and printed paper Scalescenes sheets. We pay about GBP£10 for a 350g to 400g spray can here, but it goes a long way. A can is good for many projects and will keep well stored out of heat and sunlight.

The quality brands use quality propellant, carrier and nozzles, sometimes with a couple of fan patterns offered so they spray like an airbrush and the misting is consistent and fine without splattering.

Amazon UK have loads of alternatives available.

Hope here's something in the above of use.

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:42 am

there are as many spray glues as there are substances to glue together, I have a range of them and it all depends on whether I am doing upholstery, woodwork, or plastic, there are many kinds, but the one I use for card and paper is this one,
DCP_3880.JPG

its made by loctite, and one of the cheapest out there, it is a very fine mist, very thin, and quick drying, so far I have found no problems with it, it is what I use for light duty paper to card, card to styrene sheet, foil to anything, only down side so far it that it does sink into the surface of card, but not like water, it doesnt wrinkle it, so far it has not melted any plastic I have used it on, I agree with a previous poster and that 3M "77" is my first glue of choice, but its expensive, and hard to find at the moment, and this loctite stuff, has a much finer spray, and you dont need much just a light spray, so it goes a long way, the glue I use for sculpting cushions is 3M "90" this is much thicker, and is more like a contact adhesive, but it doesnt go far and is very expensive, so I only use it to make furniture cushions and arm rests, its also VERY permanent!
one point I should mention, stay away from all acrylic (water based) adhesives, spray or otherwise, as they will all soak into the paper and card and make it wavy and render it useless, the solvent glue might smell a little bit, but try to use it with good ventilation because this stuff has the consistency of spray paint, so be aware of the over spray areas, (things will stick to it), but you can clean it up with mineral spirits, paint thinners or any of their derivatives.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks chaps. That's exactly the information I was after. :)
So 3M 77 or loctite.
Can I just ask brit-in-bama, is there a product code for the loctite can? And what is the ml size of it?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 pm

all the details I can give you are on the can, so if you double click the photo to enlarge it you may read all the blurb on the can, I got this at "home depot" (B&Q type store) three weeks ago, so its "current" for $3.99 and it contains 13.5 oz.
spray glue1.jpg

spray glue2.jpg

this is a pic of the spray nozzle,
spray glue3.jpg

hope this helps, this is not an advert, just showing what I use.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:57 pm

That's perfect. Thanks brit-in-bama. :)
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:22 pm

I'd recommend the Loctite too just on brand and price, especially because of its easy local availability to you. Every Loctite product I've ever used falls into the same quality & perormance category as 3M, although Loctite product pricing is also on parity with 3M, neither usually priced on the cheaper side. Thats a killer price for a 400g can of quality brand name product.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Sadly not that easy to find. I've tried Ebay, Wilko's, Robert Dyas. B&Q, Screwfix, Homebase, Hobbycraft, Ryman's, The works, WHSmith, Staples, Paperchase and Wickes all so far to no avail. :?
We refuse to buy from Amazon.
I'll keep searching. :arrow:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 pm

As Loctite do a fair bit of car related glues and sealants you could try some car factors? Long shot but you never know!

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Most Loctite products are industrial volume and sales orientated. i.e. QANTAS uses Loctite superglue, but you won't find it on shop shelves. Need to go to an tools supply to industry type store. I'd try a vehicle, tools, bearings, or similar industry wholesale supply focussed business.

Return to “Scenery”