Sky Blue Paper for background?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
alasdair

Sky Blue Paper for background?

Postby alasdair » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi, I have decided to make my layout background plain pale blue/ almost white because the terrain that I am modelling won't fit a regular sized back scene. I can't just paint the backboard because I have some filled sections and other damage that I would like to cover up. I also want to avoid brush strokes and spray paint will become very expensive for the large area that I am covering. Can anyone recommend some good plain colored paper or card that I could use?Thanks. :?:

luckymucklebackit

Re: Sky Blue Paper for background?

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:51 pm

How cheap is cheap? - I can recommend this stuff from the Range, at £10 for three big sheets you should have more than enough.

https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and-crafts/art-supplies/sketchbooks-and-pads/foam-and-mount-board/mount-board#268236

Colour is described as porcelain which is a very pale blue

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

alasdair

Postby alasdair » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks, that sounds great. Do you know how flexible it is? How do you hide the joins between the sheets?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:16 pm

It is reasonably easy to bend, to join the sheets together invisibly might be a problem, I would recommend invisible tape as a possible method, either that or use a joining strip a the back and but the two sheets together

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Would 530mm high by 10 meters long be enough? http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products ... der/150828 :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am

Whilst sky blue wallpaper is OK it never looks very good, there's several people who do just plain "sky" backscenes which would look better, the photo versions are very good but even the painted ones are OK. If you can use wallpaper then you can use one of them, surely?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am

Sky blue is only right for a summer day, take your pick, in the past I've used, french navy, cornflower, and for a winter layout the silver grey colour that you can get with mount board.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 am

For anyone who remembers Andrew (Must try to remember his signing in name 'Grotland' I think)
He used a painted sky scene of greys including some really dark satainic mills sort of stuff, most
effective not that expensive, or difficult to do. Not every day is sunny. We can thank PB for loosing
all his posted pictures.

When photographing brush strokes don't really stand out unless light is oblique to the surface. Any
filled holes would give some depth to individual cloud formations.

The only Grotland photos that are still 'alive' are here : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13639&start=540#p575179
It was all so long ago but boy could he introduce 'atmosphere' into his modelling, these streets show
exceptional modelling skills.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

roganty

Postby roganty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Dad-1 wrote:The only Grotland photos that are still 'alive' are here : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13639&start=540#p575179
It was all so long ago but boy could he introduce 'atmosphere' into his modelling, these streets show
exceptional modelling skills.

On page 30 is a photo by m.levin (of Grotland?) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13639&start=435#p336080
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:30 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Would 530mm high by 10 meters long be enough? http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products ... der/150828 :D

That looks good ,,but the price !!

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Get a roll of backing paper ,,that will cover all the crap in your board and if you have any white emulsion buy a dark blue emulsion tester and make your own ,and then use a small sponge roller ,,,that should give you a decent finish ,,,@£7.00

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am

I do have a roll I've not used somewhere. I used to like the Peco sky paper because it had a nice sunny feel to it. I preferred Brian Sheriff backscenes with the Peco skypaper though. The only downside with the Peco sheets that they were made in sheets and not a roll. Had they been in the form of a roll they would be excellent to use.
As excellent as Brian Sheriff's backscenes are, (And I loved all the little scenes like the 'Steptoe & Son' little doors and a hint of a distant locomotive), for me they just started to become too popular and about a decade ago every other layout had them! Its a bit like today where every other layout uses Metcalfe kits. Lovely kits, but I always want to be different. Probably why I wasn't into Fords or Vauxhalls! :lol:
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Just remember one thing, skies don't have right angle corners in them so when you get to that corner make a bit of curved card and wrap the paper round that! ;)

alasdair

Postby alasdair » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm

I had a look at porcelain mount board in The Range yesterday and it's absolutely perfect! It's just a shame that I can't get it on my bike (unless the wind is blowing the right way!). I'll have a look online for large quantities at a similar price. If not then I guess I'll have to drive back there.

Return to “Scenery”