Advice on platforms

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
b9y

Advice on platforms

Post by b9y »

Hello.

Need some advice with platform building in n gauge. I want a custom platform but unsure how to do this. I was thinking about buying a Medcalfe kit, and then adding filler / grouting to give it a concrete feel, and then lining the edges of the platform with small square castings of plaster for that slab look. Do you think this would work, or be overkill for realism? Or is it a good idea?

What else could you suggest for a good, simple-ish way of making a platform to my own specifications? Thanks.
Ironduke

Re: Advice on platforms

Post by Ironduke »

That sounds like as good a plan as any. Do you have a prototype you're working from?
Regards
Rob
b9y

Post by b9y »

I don't. At the minute I'm just trying to get ideas together. I haven't even begun stripping this layout I have yet, but it's good to get everything in the pipeline.

I'm trying to go for realism. I'll be making a heritage layout, but have some severely degraded areas / sidings etc.
b9y

Post by b9y »

It's either use a Metcalfe kit and layer over it or get castings and fill in the brickwork, as I want to mimic a degraded platform as opposed to one of those cobbled old ones!
End2end

Post by End2end »

"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
b9y

Post by b9y »

I was having a look at these earlier. I like them, but i would have to smooth over those stones as I'd want a modern platform look. Perhaps I could do that and carve the slabs in myself I suppose!
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

On one layout I made two platform sides out of balsa wood and filled it with plaster. Then I carved the flagstones in with a sharp metal scribe. The sides were faced with brick paper.
Sorry about the rubbish photo; I only had a basic camera that didn't do a fraction of what you can do with a phone these days.
Regards
Rob
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

The basic answer is 'You need to experiment'
What is acceptable to others may not be for you. There is no
right, or wrong, as in so many modelling techniques you need
to find the one that suits you.
In 'N' gauge surface texture would be so small that matt paints
should be adequate.

Geoff T.
b9y

Post by b9y »

I didn't even think about scale size, good call about the paint. Would be easier than casting, although casting may be useful for curved platforms anyway, unless I find some decent styrofoam that I can smooth down.

Also the scoring of the lines is brilliant, just what would suit for me!

Thanks guys :) I'll have a play soon!
End2end

Post by End2end »

I actually bought an old boxed set of LINKA. It came with what I can only describe as long straight bits of plastic with a C on one end. The C hooks over another one of the straights. Use 4 to make a square, then slide them up and down each other to get the size you want, then you can cast a blank wether it be square or oblong and to the size you need.

There's some on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINKA-CASTIN ... SwrslaeGix
This is the picture from the sale. You don't usually see them being sold loose, only as part of a boxed set which can be quite expensive.
I have circled the things I'm talking about in yellow.
linkaStraights.jpg
linkaStraights.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Since someone has taken up the baton, Linka is growing once more with new moulds available including N gauge and 2 newish websites.
http://www.linkaonline.co.uk/
https://www.scalecast.co.uk/
Hope it helps
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
b9y

Post by b9y »

I'll check them out. They look really useful, thank you :D
Pete

Post by Pete »

In 'N' gauge surface texture would be so small that matt paints
should be adequate.
It's really difficult to get good texture in N, I've used dried tea on neat PVA, let it dry for 15 minutes and then roll really flat with one of those little wall paper rollers, or if you can lay your hands on one a printers roller.

Platforms from MDF are good, if you want a bit of texture sand the top surface off and paint with matt emulsion, you can also scribe into MDF.
Depending on what you are doing coarse water colour paper and coloured with chalk pastels works quite nicely. As Geoff says just try stuff until you get an effect that suits your style.

I love making things out of card, so always looking at achieving textures, acrylic Gesso is fun to play with, build up layers with coarse bristle brushes and weather is effective, the list is endless.

P
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you want some coarse paper to cut slabs or stones, use old manilla envelopes. They are usually smooth on the outside but the inside has a rougher surface. Use them for the platform edge slabs. If you have the patience you could pave a whole platform with them. Less heavily used stations only have paving in the bit around the building and perhaps as far as the footbridge, the rest is just gravelled or tarmac.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b9y

Post by b9y »

Oh! Sweet. Thanks for the advice guys :)