Futuristic Train Scene

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
billrose

Futuristic Train Scene

Postby billrose » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:54 pm

What I am planning is a 'Tube Train' travelling across Mars. The title being 'Marrz Tranzit' See the attached poster. This will be a static scene and will not have a working model train until much later.

It will be a small simple straight tube / half tube design. It will be on raised posts over a relatively flat 'Martian' landscape. It will be red / orange coloured sand and rock plain with a few genetically modified trees. I am thinking about the Martian landscape being 'Terra-formed' with genetically modified tree and plant life.

As Mars has a thin atmosphere the construction of the 'Tube Train' will have some aerodynamic styling.

Of course the whole creation is a fundamentally a fantasy. But I will use a certain amount of reasonable engineering in the design.

Although this simple design is relatively small scale, there will not be a working powered train model, however the size and over all dimensions should allow a 'N' scale model track and train to be introduced at a later date.

As I design and build the 'Marrz Tranzit' I will explain both the model construction and the reasoning behind some of the engineering design details.

So come along and enjoy the ride.

Capture.JPG

05 Board Tube.jpg
Bee Boppa Bill

billrose

Re: Futuristic Train Scene

Postby billrose » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:57 pm

I am also building this project onto the website 'Instuctables' at the same time as posting here.

Link

https://www.instructables.com/id/Model-Railway-Scene/
Bee Boppa Bill

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:10 pm

As an old fashioned sci-fi fan I hope Marz Tranzit will have a HG Wells feel, steam (punk) on Mars wld be very engaging. :)
Whatever approach you adopt I wish you good luck with your imaginative concept.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:22 pm

I used to have one of those monorail sets that Hattons used to sell. A friend bought it from me a year or two ago. I thought things like that can give a futuristic atmosphere though they are in H0 scale.
Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

billrose

Postby billrose » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Ok the sticky stuff I used to stick the sand to the base board is called C200. Its like PVA and can be watered down to make it thinner and go further. I started with a tube of 250 grams. I used about half of this mixed with water in and old tin can to paint the entire top of the base board. It only took about a quarter of this quantity to paint the base board.
Then what was left over in the tin can​ I poured into about six handfuls of sand into a plastic basin and mixed it all around, using a spoon.
Sticky Bit... I then just scooped out handfuls and spread it all over the glue covered base board. 
(Yuk!!! I recommend wearing plastic gloves to do this) I had warm water and soap to clean up straight away.
I squiddidied my own term, the sand and C200 mixture all over the base board. making it even across the whole board and looking like a real sand landscape.
NOW it take a good 24 hours to set so LEAVE IT ALONE! No touching, it will set hard.
Bee Boppa Bill

billrose

Postby billrose » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm

The side effect of using the C200 is that the sand has changed colour... To a darker shade and not the nice red sandy colour of its natural colour. So I might now have to tint the sand with some red and orange acrylic paint.

No matter its still a work in progress.
Bee Boppa Bill

billrose

Postby billrose » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Ok the C200 worked very well all the sand stuck to the base board, but it changed colour so now I am going to use an old plastic cola bottle with tiny, tiny holes in the plastic cap. It should sprinkle drops of acrylic paint in various colours, red orange, pink and yellow onto the sand. Also the board has become very heavy. I had no idea that a few handfuls of sand could ad so much weight to the base board.

IMAG0001.JPG

IMAG0002.JPG
Last edited by billrose on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bee Boppa Bill

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Yes. It all ads up!
Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Return to “Scenery”