Painting advice needed

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Michaelaface

Painting advice needed

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Hey everyone, I have a couple of really dumb questions I can't seem to find answers to on google

What is the best/most efficient way to mix enamel paint and with thinners and the transfer that mix to an airbrush

Not talking about consistency or anything, I mean getting the stuff out of their respected containers

Right now I've been using a tamiya paint stirrer thing to move everything about but that takes ages, pouring just makes a big mess or is wasteful

Tried a pippette albeit a plastic one and it was predictably dissolved by the thinners

So I'd be very grateful if someone could fill in this basic knowledge I'm missing

Dad-1

Re: Painting advice needed

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Michaelaface,

Can be a damn messy job !! Probably one of the reasons I stopped using an airbrush
20 years ago.
I used to pour into a small jar over old newspaper where it was cut-back with thinners,
before adding to the side mounted reservoir thingy.
I loose so much paint by it drying out in the tin that losses by spillage were acceptable.

I suppose it was also the cleaning out afterwards I hated.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:46 pm

I use plastic pipettes with no problem in white spirit or humbrol thinners?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-3-5ML-100 ... 1438.l2649
and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wholesale-Dro ... hash=item0 as the precise dropper for the thinners
Last edited by TimberSurf on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Try acrylics, not the foul stuff that Humbrol produce, but artists acrylics either in tubes like oil paints or bottles like poster paint. You need to mix your own shades sometimes. Provided you start with the appropriate primer for the surface, metal or plastic, and finish with a matt or semigloss varnish it's far less trouble than enamel. Thinned with water and really well stirred it will spray in thin coats and build up to a good cover. Used as is it doesn't hold brush marks like enamel, and if you don't like the results warm water and an old toothbrush will remove it, before varnishing, that is.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Use a battery powered ikea coffee frother (£1) to first mix the paint in the tin or jar then decant into an old 35mm film container where white sprit then mix again and transfer to airbrush.

David

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm surprised the thinners dissolved the plastic. Even the really strong solvents we use for painting the 12" to the foot models only dissolve plastic after a few hours. I've used pipettes with no problems with white spirits, and even occasionally for plastic weld very quickly without any harm.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Use a battery powered ikea coffee frother (£1) to first mix the paint in the tin or jar then decant into an old 35mm film container where white sprit then mix again and transfer to airbrush.

David

What's happened to the 35mm films these days. Though I've not used my cameras for a few years now, I'm not sure where to send films off to be developed. Is Tru-Print still going? Umm.
Not sure where to buy batteries either. :/
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:11 pm

For "35mm film container", read plastic shot glass (Tip 902), as they are like rocking horse poo these days! Max spielmann have high street shops you can still get film developed at, I think Boots still do it too, also available online but "We no longer develop B&W (except C41), Roll Film, Slide Film, 110, Disc or 126 films"
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 pm

TimberSurf wrote:For "35mm film container", read plastic shot glass (Tip 902), as they are like rocking horse poo these days! Max spielmann have high street shops you can still get film developed at, I think Boots still do it too, also available online but "We no longer develop B&W (except C41), Roll Film, Slide Film, 110, Disc or 126 films"

Such a shame as the 110 was such a quick to use and change film it was ideal for taking train pics, especially if one had a manual thumbwind camera which were so fast to wind on....

Sorry. I've diverted the origional subject.
I used to be a fan of spray painting via the need to repaint bicycles, but these days I tend to prefer to brush paint. Having said that some applications need to be spray painted.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Has anyone tried one of those spray painting devices which run from mixing paint with lighter fuel?

Return to “Scenery”