CLASP it had to come

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Bufferstop

CLASP it had to come

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:28 pm

In the 60s and 70s the CLASP system of modular parts was used for creating utilitarian public buildings like schools, hospitals, railway stations etc. All with the same boring appearance. Now John Wiffen has released a clasp-modular-building kit in the Scalescenes range.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Re: CLASP it had to come

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Should that have been "Crap Modular Buildings" ?
We then need to cover in cladding, to add insulation and
make look posh ...... Just put up lots of No Smoking signs.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:48 pm

The institution who's networks I ran started out life as a collection of CLASP buildings, extended later with modified CLASP buildings, and more traditional structures. The old CLASP structures were great for running cables, most of it 50ohm coax, just lift a ceiling panel drop a fishwire down between the walls, cut a square hole for a mounting box and hook the end of the wire with a bent coathanger. Every so often the weight on the end of the fishwire would go clang and we'd hit one of the panels with the lateral bracing, a rolled steel plate fastened diagonally between two uprights, if you couldn't jump over it with a bit of jiggling, it was over to motor-vehicles and borrow the "snake-scope" and perform a colonoscopy to find the weight. We kept up this banter with the head caretaker, he reckoned that the place would fall down if we made any more holes in it, we responded that it was only our cables that were holding the walls together. Modified CLASP had the firebreaks that were missing in the cladding on the towerblocks, they comprised two or three layers of chicken wire sprayed with quick setting concrete. I used to take photos of our cables in the holes we had made and the fire cement we used to plug them up, the electrical contractors and alarm fitters weren't so conscientious.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:13 am

I absolutely hated these buildings.
As a lover of architecture both of the grand and the weird I found these utilitarian buildings ugly as hell. :cry:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:45 pm

We were forever vacuuming around the equipment, as the computer suites were on the top floor and whenever the wind was strong the ceiling tiles would rattle and dust would drift down into the rooms. Went past the place this morning and the old buildings are still there, I'm not going to inquire as to what the old tile hung panels have been replaced with.

Return to “Scenery”