Track weathering

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Kindling

Re: Track weathering

Postby Kindling » Thu May 25, 2017 8:04 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Kindling wrote:
Bufferstop wrote: If you do have to solder a wire to the side of the rail, a spot of the rail muck colour you have used will make it very hard to spot.

...unless, like me, you have a movement disorder. Then it will look like a cupola wagon has spilled its load. :(

What power rating is your soldering iron? Current thinking is that a 60kW iron is the best to use, as it transmits heat to the rail quicker and therefore the solder flows quicker, which I would hope would help you, many people by a cheap low power iron that takes forever to heat the wire and rail.

Jim

Thanks for the advice, Jim, but it's me, not the iron! Can't remember the wattage. The iron is old, heavy, and long, thus amplifying rapidly worsening tremors. I shall have to look for a miniature one that can be held a bit like a pencil, or remember to solder the wire under the rail before laying it. :D

Apologies to shunter68 for going off-topic.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 am

Just added a mini article on weathering track to my website, see http://www.p4newstreet.com/category/workbench
Attachments
IMG_0787.JPG

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Jim S-W wrote:Just added a mini article

Very good, thanks Jim

Return to “Scenery”