Blue sky paint

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Beynac

Blue sky paint

Postby Beynac » Sun May 14, 2017 10:47 am

Hello,
what kind of blue do you use for painting a blue sky without cloud ?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
I'm just a guy who wants to play with his toys. Image

Bufferstop

Re: Blue sky paint

Postby Bufferstop » Sun May 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Depends where in the world you want your cloudless sky to be. Here are a few shades of blue.

From my distant memory of the last time I saw one here in the UK, :) I would say try Panatone 290C - 292C or the row above 283C to 285C but interpreting shades of a particular colour is always subjective, even before you start taking account of the variations in rendering from one screen to another.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Beynac

Postby Beynac » Sun May 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks Bufferstop. The British sky is really very colorful ! Now I'm a little bit lost... :oops:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am

Given that the British Weather can frequently be a bit wet. I used a dull grey for the sky, blue can be a bit vivid and unrealistic. Alternatively take some panoramic photographs of the sky and print these off, they will give you the subtle changes in the tone of the blue that you get as you go from the horizon to directly overhead. I have one that I use but it is a mixed cloudy sky. PM me if you want a copy, it is on an excel spreadsheet and is about 4.5Mb

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm

There's just one problem with printed sky, apart from small dioramas you get joins which can't be disguised. Very few of us have access to a printer that can handle paper big enough, yet alone manage a continuous long image, and where as at ground level joins can be hidden in field boundaries, roof lines etc, hard edged clouds just don't happen. The first colour printer I ever used could handle any length of 8.5 inch wide paper. Just about wide enough for a backscene in N, but there was no software that could produce the subtle fades from one shade to another, and no computer (at that time) that could hold the data for a print longer than a metre.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Can you still buy the rolls of 36' of skypaper? I have one somewhere ready for my next layout in 00. I think it came from Brian Sheriff.

Beynac

Postby Beynac » Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 am

As everybody knows, I live on the other side of the British channel ("La Manche" for us). And more important, I need a 8' blue sky.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 am

Mountain wrote:Can you still buy the rolls of 36' of skypaper? I have one somewhere ready for my next layout in 00. I think it came from Brian Sheriff.

Yes, many model railway shops stock it, I don't know who makes it though...

Bufferstop I'd agree if you were printing your own but there are plenty of local print shops that will do a backscene for you at reasonable cost... I'd prefer a photo backscene over Pecos efforts, handpainted ones, or just blue paint any day!

The main thing to remember when doing backscenes is that Nature doesn't do right handed corners in the sky so for Pete's sake make the corners curved!! ;)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Whether it's correct or not, I'm not too sure, but I used a Matt emulsion paint (sometimes known as Latex paint in some countries). I got mine in a U.K. based DIY store - B&Q. It was called ironically 'Sky Blue'. Roller painted onto MDF backboards after a first coat of matt white. I didn't want to add any back-scene details beyond the main layout scenics.

Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 18, 2017 7:01 pm

I'd say you've got the perfect neutral sky colour there for the UK, it could be that shade at some time any day in a year. Bright blue is a bit difficult to reconcile with sending round your snow plough!

Return to “Scenery”