static grass aplicator

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
ray835

static grass aplicator

Postby ray835 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:41 pm

are these 16 quid static grass applicators off flea bay any good .....anyone

TimberSurf

Re: aplicator

Postby TimberSurf » Thu May 11, 2017 12:38 am

It has to be said that paying £60 to £200 for one of the mainstream ones, should give better results.
The truth of the matter is that they do, but the difference is barely noticeable! I have both and ran a test, viewtopic.php?f=35&t=50749&p=623939&hilit=killer#p623939 the pics don't show much of a difference, but the fly swatter is a little less upright. The real difference is coverage rate. I can do a meter square in a few minutes with my £80 one, but would take hours with the tea strainer. So unless you use both next to each other, no one would know the difference and unless you need to cover dozens of square meters, save your money!
I have not tried it yet, but using 6-10mm fibers may prove too much the the fly killer!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

ray835

Re: aplicator

Postby ray835 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:17 am

for the amount of grass i'll be doing think its the fly swat n tea strainer.

alex3410

Re: static grass aplicator

Postby alex3410 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 am

tweaked title to let people know what your after.

I made my own using the good old electric fly swot, i was happy enough with it but never needed to do large areas, will be interesting to see how you get on

ray835

Postby ray835 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 pm

electrocute myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Put a big insulating boot on the croc clip. When you pull it off whilst in use it's just too easy to grab for it without first discharging the grid to the wire :oops:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:04 am

Don't worry we all make that mistake once :lol: :oops:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:54 am

The Electronic Fly Swatters are back in Poundland, but be quick as I bought the last one from the store in Ayr on Saturday, bought a tea strainer from Wilco for 80p. I have never tried static grass before so looking forwards to experimentation, having an outlay of £1.80 so far I will not complain if it goes awry.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:57 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:The Electronic Fly Swatters are back in Poundland,

How much are they :?:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 am

Dave wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:The Electronic Fly Swatters are back in Poundland,

How much are they :?:

:D Actually the number of products that Poundland sell that are not £1 is increasing (but this is not one of them 8) )

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:41 pm

I used the flyswatter type until recently but have just bought a Peco applicator and found that it's light years better, both in ease of use and final results. I suppose you pay for what you get! It may be easy enough to make one but it's one of those times when I'd rather pay for someone else to make it for me rather than use my my own time making one.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:49 pm

TimberSurf wrote:I bought the 'Fly Killer' made up on Ebay many years ago (£6.96, so no brainer), but never got round to using it!
I have since done much research on the subject and glean its all about voltage, the fly swatter's develops 1,000v, some of the proper ones are 9,000 to 12,000v and the top models are 18,000 to 24,000v! I contemplated making my own high voltage version, but ended up with a Greene-scene 'Flockit'. (15,000v)
As per the "in person" demo I saw at an exhibition, at home its brilliant. :D
However, seeing this thread, I dug out my fly swatter (for the first time) and gave it a whirl, making two samples with the two devices.
I will post pics of the samples later when they are dry.

The revelation, is that there is little to choose between the results! Both perform well!
The fly swatter may not be quite as thick in coverage, but its hardly noticeable.
My research and this test, leads me to believe that the higher the voltage, does not effect the result, it does however go down quicker over a larger area.
My advice is to go cheap, for the average hobbyist!

I can only assume my Ebay 'Fly Killer' is a slightly better version than the poundland one, you really cant expect a lot for £1! It may not be worth buying a £80+ one, but you should get good results with the £20 to £40 types. I think the Noch puffer bottle @ £4 would give better results than a £1 poundland type
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:15 pm

TimberSurf wrote: I think the Noch puffer bottle @ £4 would give better results than a £1 poundland type

I have a couple of Noch bottles and a home made 'swatter scatterer' I think the swatter gives better results...

Of course a lot depends on the operator: A good tradesman with poor tools will produce a better job than a poor tradesman with good tools.

Grass01.jpg

Grass02.jpg

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Just out of interest, does it matter which lead goes to the tea strainer and which to the croc clip. I have got the handle off a swatter that broke and thought I might make one up since it is only going to cost the price of a strainer.

Richard

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm

I do not think it matters Richard, on my 'racket' one of the leads went to the horizontal wires and the other to the vertical ones. I assume that once the 'fly' makes the contact it gets fried.

Return to “Scenery”