back scene

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
ray835

back scene

Postby ray835 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:05 am

just a quick one ..what sort of height do you normally set ones back scene at from the base board as I'm starting on the base board today ....

ElDavo

Re: back scene

Postby ElDavo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:34 am

How high is the sky?

IMHO you should have as tall as you can fit. Certainly taller than your tallest building. Of course practicalities can make this impossible. It also rather depends on what your layout objectives are and the viewers viewpoint. If you want to take photos of your layout then higher makes life easier. If you are exhibiting and need to reach over to operate then obviously this limits you.

Many other opinions are available. :-)

Cheers
Dave

b308

Re: back scene

Postby b308 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:25 am

Also depends on the scale. I have two layouts in TT scale (1:120), the first had 5" backscenes but I felt they are too small so the second has 8" which seem about right. Too high and it dominates the layout and spoils the look. Yes the sky is big, but it's your layout you should be looking at, the backscene is just a scenic break...

Go abroad and many layouts don't have them at all!

Looking at some of the hand painted ones at exhibitions I sometimes wonder if it's best sometimes if they don't...

With the advent of the "panorama" function on digital cameras and the ability to get the resultant photo printed off reasonably priced I don't think there's any excuse for using the old Peco backscenes or poorly painted ones. One key point, however, is to get the ground just in front of the backscene to match up with the backscene itself, some care is needed...

Return to “Scenery”